Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dick Dobbins

Banned

Re: Dick Dobbins

When my wife and I were married, we spent our Honeymoon in San Francisco. Prior to our leaving, I called Dick and told him we would be out there and he invited us over to his home. I accepted Dick's offer but told him our plans would be tentative because I would have to figure out a way to casually suggest it to my wife. I figured she would be none too happy seeing a hobby Pal while on our honeymoon.

So, we get to San Francisco and after a few days into the trip, at a nice restaurant, I casually bring up my "tentative" plans to see Dick. She wasn't exactly happy about it but she agreed to go and meet Dick and his family.

When we got there and she met Dick and his family, she did NOT want to leave. Even she was impressed with his collection and more so by their hospitality. Unfortunately, Dick had to leave because he had to go to the Giants game. He asked us if we had tickets and we said that we didn't. He told us that if we wanted to go, he'll leave two (2) tickets at the Will Call window.

As we left and were driving back to San Francisco, we decided to go to the game and when we got to the stadium, there were two (2) tickets waiting for us.

Dick passed on and the hobby lost a real gentleman but for those of us who know him, he isn't gone at all.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

I once had an Ernie Lombardi signed 1960 Fleer card that Dobbins got signed in person when he was interviewing Lombardi for one of his PCL history books.

Banned

If you didn't like Dick Dobbins, then you most likely didn't like ANYBODY! The only time I knew of Dick being spoken poorly of was a "consider the source" moment...a known hobby jersey forger of the early 1990s who ripped on Dick, Robb Wochnick and myself for calling out his fake items. His excuse? According to the forger, Dick, Robb and I were "jealous" of him and his great (ha!) stuff, and we bad mouthed him so we could try to take some of his business. As I said, consider the source...Dick is/was as good a man as I've ever encountered in the hobby.

Dave Miedema

I could write pages about Dick Dobbins, but I will keep it very short and simple. He was the very best this hobby has ever had. I feel very fortunate and blessed to have known him.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons jerseys, World Football League uniforms, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game used items.