X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Your Top #5 Sports Related Movies

Originally posted by 5kRunner
    LOL, Eddie Murray??? Didn't realize ole Steady Eddie was in that one.

*Cough* Bill Murrary
    I thought I saw Cal Ripken in the movie too. It goes to show you that my brain store baseball player information better than actor information.

Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
      • Mar 2009

#1 Hoosiers - "Welcome to Indiana Basketball"
      #2 Miracle - "My name is Mike Eruzione and I play for the United States of America"
      #3 Field of Dreams - "No..this is Iowa"
      #4 Caddyshack - "Let's pretend that we're real human beings."
      #5 Major League - "Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

Comment

• jobathenut
        • Nov 2008

I know what you mean it's tough to put them in a top 5.When me and my friend were talking about it.That's what was driving us nuts.Its one thing to name the ones you like.But to put them in a top 5 is tough.I could have easily named a top 10 like you said.And that would have made it easier.But to put them in a top 5 is so much fun isnt it.Like i said i dont think you realize until you think about just how many sports movies are out there.
        Originally posted by island_style
        Great topic! My remote control suddenly stops working whenever I run across a sports movie while channel surfing. It's hard to name just five. I wish we could have named 10.

1. Field of Dreams
        2. Rudy
        3. Bad News Bears (the original with Walter Matthau)
        4. Heaven Can Wait
        5. Jackie Robinson Story

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Comment

• jobathenut
          • Nov 2008

That major league line is one of best ever!!!!...What a great movie that was.That and miracle were close to making my top 5.And i also liked the tv movie miracle that not too people know about that was done in the i think the early 80's.
          Originally posted by jbsportstuff
          #1 Hoosiers - "Welcome to Indiana Basketball"
          #2 Miracle - "My name is Mike Eruzione and I play for the United States of America"
          #3 Field of Dreams - "No..this is Iowa"
          #4 Caddyshack - "Let's pretend that we're real human beings."
          #5 Major League - "Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

Comment

• jobathenut
            • Nov 2008

That other miracle movie i mentioned about the usa 1980 olymipics hockey team.Was called "miracle on ice" and featured karl malden as herb brooks and was released in 1981.I remember as a kid me and my friends would act out sceens from the movie.

Comment

• SteelCity
              • Feb 2009

1) Slap Shot (I've got to think, if this isn't on anyone's top 5 list, they simply haven't seen it... and/or hate hockey.)
              2) The Rocket - Maurice Richard
              3) Bull Durham, The Natural
              4) Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, Major League, League of their Own
              5) Caddyshack, Sudden Death (OK, not because it's a good film, just because.)
              6) All the others.

Pretty sure Raging Bull should be up there. And I still haven't seen Miracle and 61*.

Worst) Most of the Rocky's from 2-11, or whatever the last one is. I get them mixed up, there may have been another decent one in there. Also the Mighty Ducks series, Cool Runnings.
              Collecting baseballs and documenting the history of the MLB Game Ball:

http://photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/
              http://bigleaguebaseballs.com/

Comment

• JasonBanz
                • Oct 2008

1.) Ace Ventura Pet Detective-Dan Marino is in it. That automatically gives it #1
                2.)Major League 1 & 2-I like 2 cause it was shot in Baltimore.
                3.)Rudy-Good heart warming story!
                4.)Fever Pitch-Though I'm an O's fan, my wife is a Red Sox fan and it sounds girly, but its a perfect date movie!
                5.)The Longest Yard(Remake)-That movie is just hilarious!

Honorable Mention-Unneccesary Roughness, The Waterboy, Mystery Alaska, and The Benchwarmers.

Comment

• JasonBanz
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JasonBanz
                  1.) Ace Ventura Pet Detective-Dan Marino is in it. That automatically gives it #1
                  2.)Major League 1 & 2-I like 2 cause it was shot in Baltimore.
                  3.)Rudy-Good heart warming story!
                  4.)Fever Pitch-Though I'm an O's fan, my wife is a Red Sox fan and it sounds girly, but its a perfect date movie!
                  5.)The Longest Yard(Remake)-That movie is just hilarious!

Honorable Mention-Unneccesary Roughness, The Waterboy, Mystery Alaska, and The Benchwarmers.
                  Also with Honorable Mention-Remember the Titans and The Blind Side.

Comment

• Tedw9
                    • Jul 2007

Awesome topic! Great choices by everyone so far, any one of those movies could make my top 5.

1. Field of Dreams (I love my Dad, I love baseball and I can relate to the story)
                    2. Fever Pitch (My wife says the Jimmy Fallon character is a lot like me and I'm a Red Sox fan too. Oh, and I have always loved Drew Barrymore! )
                    3. Cobb (I really liked Tommy Lee Jones as Ty in this. Great story about a great player)
                    4. Eight Men Out (I've always been fascinated by the Black Sox scandal)
                    5. We Are Marshall (The whole campus chanting scene gave me goosebumps)

Comment

• jobathenut
                      • Nov 2008

You got 4 movies in the #4 spot,thats not fair.Like i said the fun part is picking just your top 5 movies.And see if you can do it without going insane.
                      Originally posted by SteelCity
                      1) Slap Shot (I've got to think, if this isn't on anyone's top 5 list, they simply haven't seen it... and/or hate hockey.)
                      2) The Rocket - Maurice Richard
                      3) Bull Durham, The Natural
                      4) Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, Major League, League of their Own
                      5) Caddyshack, Sudden Death (OK, not because it's a good film, just because.)
                      6) All the others.

Pretty sure Raging Bull should be up there. And I still haven't seen Miracle and 61*.

Worst) Most of the Rocky's from 2-11, or whatever the last one is. I get them mixed up, there may have been another decent one in there. Also the Mighty Ducks series, Cool Runnings.

Comment

• Larry Pelliccioni
                        • Nov 2005

1. The Natural
                        2. The Replacements
                        3. Remember the Titans
                        4. Youngblood
                        5. Net Worth (The noteworthy thing about this rather obscure Canadian movie is that it talks about Ted Lindsay's involvement in the formation of the player's union. In one scene the actor portraying Ted Lindsay gets into a fight with a Toronto Maple Leaf. As he is ushered to the penalty box, he is heckled by 3 fans. The fan on the far right of the shot is...TED LINDSAY. Ted is a personal friend of mine and one of the most gentlemanly people I know. He sure played the game with a passion that few have.
                        Larry Pelliccioni

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2005

Love the One liners:

Field of Dreams;
                          You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

Rocky;
                          Yo Adrian, go make the meat.

Caddy Shack;
                          Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Fever Pitch:
                          During a discussion over Red Sox seats - Ben, do you find my wife attractive? Cause we could work something out.

Ace Ventura:
                          When Ace discloses that Lois Einhorn is actually a man, every cop at the scene has the bad beer look on their faces.

JIm

PS: Just my opinions - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Comment

• SteelCity
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jobathenut
                            You got 4 movies in the #4 spot,thats not fair.Like i said the fun part is picking just your top 5 movies.And see if you can do it without going insane.
                            Ya I cheated, sorry! I guess I just liked them all about the same.

Originally posted by Larry Pelliccioni
                            5. Net Worth (The noteworthy thing about this rather obscure Canadian movie is that it talks about Ted Lindsay's involvement in the formation of the player's union. In one scene the actor portraying Ted Lindsay gets into a fight with a Toronto Maple Leaf. As he is ushered to the penalty box, he is heckled by 3 fans. The fan on the far right of the shot is...TED LINDSAY. Ted is a personal friend of mine and one of the most gentlemanly people I know. He sure played the game with a passion that few have.
                            Larry Pelliccioni
                            How about that, thanks for sharing this. I had never heard of it, I just bought it new on Ebay, can't wait to check it out.
                            Collecting baseballs and documenting the history of the MLB Game Ball:

http://photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/
                            http://bigleaguebaseballs.com/

Comment

• suave1477
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2006

So many to name its hard to pick top 5

1 61*
                              2 Eight Men out
                              3 Rudy
                              4 Youngblood
                              5 Field of dreams

Honorable mentions
                              Sugar
                              Cinderella man
                              Major League
                              Fever Pitch
                              The Express

I am sure there is a ton more im missing

Comment

• jobathenut
                                • Nov 2008

I know thats the fun of it, deciding out of all your favorites to put them in order.As you have 2 (61* and eight men out) that were very hard for me to chose not to put in my top 5.And i am very happy to see that another person is a fan of "youngblood".When i had the discussion with my friends (that led to me posting this thread) none of them even heard of that movie.And we are talking like 10 other people.
                                Originally posted by suave1477
                                So many to name its hard to pick top 5

1 61*
                                2 Eight Men out
                                3 Rudy
                                4 Youngblood
                                5 Field of dreams

Honorable mentions
                                Sugar
                                Cinderella man
                                Major League
                                Fever Pitch