Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OT: Game Used Oddities....

given the amount of time we spend checking for inconsistencies in items presented as "game used", i thought it would be fun to take a look at "authentic inconsistencies". this thought occurred to me after i emailed my pal a circa '60s photo of a detroit lions player - not only is my pal a die hard lions fan, but he's also a vintage football helmet aficionado, actually he's a vintage football uniform aficionado. anyway i thought he would find it interesting that the helmet was fitted with a "dallas cowboys style" dymo tape, something the lions were not known to have worn. not only did he find this very interesting, but he also pointed out what i had failed to notice given my one dimensional focus on all things helmets - the backwards "31" on the player's left sleeve...

so keeping with this spirit i thought it would be interesting to post other uniform oddities. i also wondered what we would think of these game used items if we saw them at auction - would we recognize them as "authentic inconsistencies" or would we immediately suspect foul play? hmmm... anyway, if you happen to have any similar photos please add them!

top photo: a kansas player sans decals... bottom photos: the 49ers sporting a mishmash look, some helmets have a center stripe, some don't, pant leg stripes vary as well...

left: the rams still sporting yellow in their color scheme (cap, sideline cape, etc.) even after switching to blue and white uniforms, middle: the packers sporting navy blue, right: lamonica donning an extra decal.

left: a facemask that you don't see every day, if ever, middle: a spartan player (number 41) sporting a "0" on his helmet, right: a number scribbled on the front of the helmet instead of the back.

left and middle: i thought these two photos were interesting because the star college players appearing in the bob hope special brought their own, actual, game used helmets with them instead of replicas or "standard issues", right: steelers player getting ready for a game against the redskins - i thought the helmet on top of the locker might be a short-lived steelers color scheme but the friend i mentioned earlier suggested that it was a university of pittsburgh helmet given that the steelers shared pitt stadium with the panthers in the mid to late '60s - and he was right!

and here are some outstanding photos found at the tremendous site "uniwatch". unbelievable jersey typos:

nob typos and a stanley cup typo:

less than centered nameplates:

full names, first initial at the end of the last name, widely spaced lettering and a little reverse lettering to boot:

here's a really interesting shot: the vikes decided to wear their away uniforms at home but the lions either didn't care or weren't on the same page - as such, both teams started the game sporting white jerseys. the vikes eventually changed into their home jerseys on the sideline, but not their home pants, resulting in a very, very purple look:

the giants sporting different pants, the 49ers sporting shirts without stripes or numbers and, for the heck of it, a great vintage shot of both sayers and butkus playing special teams - can you imagine having to worry about stopping sayers on a kickoff AND avoiding butkus? mama mia....

robert

Re: OT: Game Used Oddities....

This is from a playoff game in 1978 between the Washington Bullets and the San Antonio Spurs (when the Spurs were in the Eastern Conference).
    Mike Gale, Spurs guard, either lost his own jersey or it was lost by the airlines (this is when it was the players' responsibility to keep up with their jersey.) The San Antonio trainer/equipment manager did not have an extra jersey for Gale to wear. So what did they resort to? Simple. They borrowed a road blue Bullets jersey from the Washington equipment manager and they "flipped" it inside out. Wonder if this is when Gale was given the nickname "Flipper"? The ensemble is complete with Bullets shorts with stars down the sides. It's funny 'cause its real.

news clipping originally posted by jdr3

Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Very cool thread, I love the Spurs vs. Bullets story and pics! This is just one of the dozens of Jets uni anomolies I have cataloged: from the 1965 Jets vs Raiders game at Shea - Dave Herman rockin a no logo Jets helmet. I hope folks keep adding to this thread, should be a fun one. Happy collecting to all and GO JETS!

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images  

One of my fave's - Adam Riggs of the Angees!

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I'm hoping that the guy who has this jersey see's this. About 5 months ago, I was emailed by a guy who thought I would be interested in knowing that he had this jersey. It wasn't disposed of but sold at Fan Fest. I'll have to see if I can find the pictures he sent. I tried to buy/trade but he wasn't interested in getting rid of it yet. He found me through this site so maybe he will pipe in.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

After Jim's jersey ripped, he was relegated to wearing backup qb Sam Adkin's jersey.

Brett Favre in a Minnesota Vikings uniform??? Just might happen yet!

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    here's a really interesting shot: the vikes decided to wear their away uniforms at home but the lions either didn't care or weren't on the same page - as such, both teams started the game sporting white jerseys. the vikes eventually changed into their home jerseys on the sideline, but not their home pants, resulting in a very, very purple look:

Actually Robert/Aeneas01, I think besides that 1964 Lions v. Vikings game that you posted photos of in which the Vikings wore all purple (purple pants and jerseys), to my knowledge the Vikings have only worn purple on purple (purple pants and jerseys) only one other time. Specifically, during a Monday night game against the Bears on December 17, 2007 (43 years after that 1964 game when they wore all purple on purple).

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Reminds me so much of that classic Snickers comercial where the groundskeeper paints "Chefs" in the end-zone instead of "Chiefs"