Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Bonds Confiscated Collector's Memorabilia

Hello Jeff:

Welcome to the forum. I am wondering, you had been collecting Barry's game used equipment at that point for many years. How is it that Barry would suggest that he would never sell his game used stuff, when obviously being the hugh Bonds collector that you were, you had been collecting his game used for many years which he had to know. If it was not a problem for ten plus years how did it all of a sudden become such a hugh matter?

When Bonds showed up with the feds, did they literally rip items off your walls and out of your displays and take them out of your house with no explanation other than Barry said these are stolen?

This is just a sad, sad story. I cannot imagine what I would feel like if I had collected literally hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of a players memorabilia over the years and then have the player turn around and treat me like that. I would be devastated and angry all at the same time.

Thanks
    Brett Herman
    brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf
    How about two of my favorites, Mike Schmidt and Ripken? I dare you to try to dig up any dirt on these two
    Howard,

Schmidt was/is friends with radio personality Howard Eskin ... that's pretty bad!

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Say, I can't help but wonder why so many people seem to hate Barry Bonds more for being an A-Hole than for being on steriods, yet they all seem to love Joe DiMaggio! Excuse me, earth to Yankees fans, Joe D. was an A-Hole, too!

(Go ahead and reply, I'm ready to duck!)
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf
    Very well said-nice summary. I was on the field in Philadelphia a few years ago when they played the Giants, and know first hand what a total prick Bonds is. Several kids on the field with me asked for his autograph, and all went home with nothing. No photos with Bonds, no autographs, not even a handshake. His ego and lack of interest in the fans was amazing, to say the least.

In terms of your statement, "there are not many guys coming out of the late 80' and early 90's that can hold a candle to guys like Dimaggio, Aaron, Maris, or Mantle". How about two of my favorites, Mike Schmidt and Ripken? I dare you to try to dig up any dirt on these two (O.K., so Schmidt did wear a wig one time in Philly!). Another player who I don't collect, however, must be considered is Pujols-seems like a great player on and off the field.

Again, a nice post.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    While I've never met Ripken. I did have the have the pleasure of meeting The great Michael Jack. What an @$$. He had never seen,nor met me before. But, anyway. I went to Jack Russell Stadium in '03. Thome's first year in Philly. So, I was just hanging out hoping to get a few auto's before the game.Along comes Mike. I figured it would be great to have this guy sign a ball, bat, something. So, I had this coat rack. It was made out of a bat that was sawed in half. It had pegs on it and everything. I even had a few Phils sigs on it. I asked
    him if he would sign it ? He said in a snotty tone .I don't sign bats. Puzzled, I asked if he would sign a ball. He said he wouldn't sign balls. So,
    I finally gave up. I figured if he couldn't respect someone who he'd never
    met before. I could deal without the auto. I just couldn't deal with his piss poor attitude. I was real polite , said please, and thank you. Needless to say, I don't care if I ever talk to the guy. What a jerk!!

Ken/Earlywynnfan,

I think it's a combination of off-field conduct as well as on-field conduct. There have been very few players throughout baseball history who have been lauded if they conduct themself in a shameful manner on the diamond. Fans don't tend to overlook something such as lazing after fly balls (better to let a ball drop for a base hit than make a bad play and be charged an error), failure to run out ground balls (inexcusable), and other stuff like that.

Albert Belle was one of the most hated men in baseball because he was a jerk off the field as well as on it. A lot of people who have never met Roger Clemens despise him because of his tendency to act in a bizarre manner on the diamond. And Bonds? Besides the countless stories of being a horse's hind end off the field, consider his failure to run out ground balls, his ability to blame everyone else for his on-field and off-field issues, and (my personal favorite) his incredibly arrogant gawking at every fly ball he's hit the last 6 or 7 years.

As I've mentioned previously here, people would not have the sort of negative attitude about Bonds if he were more pleasant to people off the field and didn't behave like such an aloof lout on it. If Ken Griffey Jr, Cal Ripken, or Alex Rodriguez was up to 720 career home runs, stadiums would be packed, people would be cheering, and it would be the first topic on everyone's mind. But because it's Bonds, there are a ton more people who would rather see him fail than succeed.

I Have Been Traveling Sorry For The Delayed Response. Barry Hand Picked Out Some Items To Be Taken. The Funny Thing Is If He Did Not Give Hoskins The Okay To Sell Anything Than Why Didn't He Tell The Feds To Take Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello Howard,

I think there are a number of collectors out there who enjoy looking for the next great prospect. This is obviously not a big revelation given the interest in rookie baseball cards, etc. While the Pujolses and Ramirezes of the world are already recognized, I think there are collectors who are trying to determine who the next Pujols, or Greg Maddux, might be. In fact, there are dealers and collectors who may even speculate in their memorabilia and, if they are right, might see some handsome returns (for example, I think some dealers and collectors who were buying Pujols stuff a few years ago are feeling pretty good right now).

Personally, I think Brandon Webb fits into that category. That is, while he's not really well known right now (playing in Arizona probably doesn't help), he is the type of pitcher who has the potential to be a long-term star. Thus, to the few who know about him, I think there might very well be interest in him. However, that would be something dealers and collectors will have to determine for themselves.

Does anyone else know about Brandon Webb? Maybe I'm wrong but I think that guy is going to be a many time all-star (in fact, wasn't he an all-star this year?).

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Okay...I made the quote above in the middle of July. I'm just wondering if I can now feel completely justified given Brandon Webb won the Cy Young award this year. BTW, congratulations to Jeff Kranz for setting up a relationship with Brandon. As I said, I think Jeff has a really good eye for picking talent.

Sincerely,
    Chris