Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Albert Pujoles Game Used Old Hickory bat.

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    I agree, I figured that would be the issue with that bat. I think someone saying there is no handle tar on Pujols bats is way to stern on the issue. It is bound to happen when he has tar on his bat at all. The tar itself did not look substantial.

-Tony
    Certainly, you might see pine tar in the grip area that has transferred from his batting gloves, but it will be lighter than the application at mid-barrel.

And considering how little he uses any given bat, you wouldn't expect to see much of a build-up from his gloves.

That said, I'm not sure if those same guidelines would apply in the case of a BP bat. Perhaps they get more use and thus, more pine tar built-up in the grip area. I don't know.

I would, however, challenge anyone to produce a photograph of Albert using a bat where pine tar has been applied to the grip area of the handle i.e. an application running from mid-barrel to knob.

I'm not suggesting your bat looks like that, it doesn't. But as I mentioned earlier, the pine tar at mid-barrel looks heavier than you would expect for the period. Would be good to see some additional photos in different light when you have the bat in hand though.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Will do, I'm pretty sure its discoloration of the wood though.

-Tony

From pine tar none the less, I think being handled etc. Reason being, I think the cut off is to perfect, such as the example of Albert with the other Old Hickory bat.

-Tony

Here is a similar Old Hickory, with the same pine tar application, its actually a lot more than I thought I would see.

http://jerrytlai.photoshelter.com/im...000NDfYQCpk9mY

Here is another photo from a baseball card.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    I sold that M356 on Ebay. It's a nice bat, and I hope youre happy with it STL. I'll post some pictures on here later that I believe show Pujols using bats with tar on the lower handle circa 04-05. I'd love to get everyone's opinion.. Maybe I'm just seeing things
    It should be arriving soon! While researching Albert's tar patterns I came across some video and photo evidence that Albert may have been putting tar around the handle for a short period in 04 and 05. As rick said earlier he did not run pinetar from the handle to the midsection in coating. What I have noticed is a distinct seperation between handle and then the midsection.

Here is a photo from 2004 showing the handle darkening as well as the midsection leaving the space in between clean.

Ive noticed it on some. There seems to be a gap in tar in some of his bats, you can definitely tell the bottom is residue also.

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    Ive noticed it on some. There seems to be a gap in tar in some of his bats, you can definitely tell the bottom is residue also.

-Tony
    yep, I have a view videos that show an almost soiled darker look on the handle like the one I just purchased. After the 05 season I have yet to see that look on one of his gamers.

Both of these are from '04 if I remember correctly. I think the first image is pretty clear that there is tar applied to the lower handle, and I have always thought it may be a match for the M356 I just sold. I couldn't find video of the game though.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com