Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Pete Rose FYIs

Hybrid View

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    fyi, in 1985 Rose started games against right-handed pitchers only. For the most part Tony Perez started the games against left-handed pitchers.
    fyi, here's a quote from page 165 of "Countdown To Cobb"

I'm getting asked a lot why I'm not starting myself against left-handers. ... When I played last year for Montreal, I didn't start against many lefthanders. I did early, but not late. When I came back to Cincinnati on August 17, I just decided to keep it that way.

During spring training this year I never had any doubt that Tony Perez would make our ball club, but he was primarily going to be my best pinch-hitter. I let him start at first base early in the season (beginning in the second week of May) and he did well against lefthanders, so I continued to use him against them.

Re: Pete Rose FYIs

fyi, here's a quote from page 196 of "Countdown To Cobb" that might shed light on what Pete would be wearing during batting practice in 1985

Saturday, September 7

Today was a scorcher. The termperature in Chicago reached 99 degrees and it was humid.

The weather got to me in batting practice. I got sicker than a dog and had to go in and take a cold shower. I guess I didn't realize how hot it was because, as usual, I wore a sweat jacket at practice. Larry Starr, our trainer, said that's probably why I got sick.

I felt OK once the game started, but I didn't get any hits.

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    fyi, here's a quote from page 165 of "Countdown To Cobb"

I'm getting asked a lot why I'm not starting myself against lefthanders. ... When I played last year for Montreal, I didn't start against many lefthanders. I did early, but not late. When I came back to Cincinnati on August 17, I just decided to keep it that way.
    fyi, in 1984 Rose hit only .211 against lefthanders while hitting .310 against righthanders.

Entering the 1985 season, Rose had a .292 lifetime batting average against lefthanders and a .311 career average against righthanders.