Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Strasburg mania continues - MLB '70 Senators jerseys up

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Why not? I mean J-Roll was leading all NL shortstops in voting after having only played in 12 games this year while he was on the DL.

It's a popularity contest plain and simple and right now, Strasburg is popular.

- Chris
    I do agree with you that the ASG has become a huge popularity contest and that is why you see really horrible choices in the starting lineup by the fans.

But, the pitchers are all selected by the managers and I would hope that Charlie Manual has enough sense to realize that the kid just hasn't put in the time this year. He'll make plenty of ASG in the future, don't take away a spot from a worthy player to give one to a kid with less than a month of service time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Why not? I mean J-Roll was leading all NL shortstops in voting after having only played in 12 games this year while he was on the DL.

It's a popularity contest plain and simple and right now, Strasburg is popular.

- Chris
    The problem with certain positions is they are so shallow that you cannot find two worthy allstars. At shortstop in the NL besides Hanley, who else deserves to go to the game? JRoll has had the most successful career of the other NL shortstops so sending him makes sense. Some positions like NL catcher, AL shortstop, AL third base other than Longoria there are some real hard choices this year. Yes it is a popularity contest and I don't blame the fans for wanting to see the biggest stars but the fans do not select the pitchers and there are a slew of worthy pitchers and one of them would have to be left off for a guy who may be 2-4 with under ten big league appearances when the game occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    The problem with certain positions is they are so shallow that you cannot find two worthy allstars. At shortstop in the NL besides Hanley, who else deserves to go to the game? JRoll has had the most successful career of the other NL shortstops so sending him makes sense. Some positions like NL catcher, AL shortstop, AL third base other than Longoria there are some real hard choices this year. Yes it is a popularity contest and I don't blame the fans for wanting to see the biggest stars but the fans do not select the pitchers and there are a slew of worthy pitchers and one of them would have to be left off for a guy who may be 2-4 with under ten big league appearances when the game occurs.
    The problem with your statement is that the All Star Game was intended to be played by the players with the most successful SEASON that year - not their past career. And if he hadn't gone on the DL, Troy Tulowitzki was easily deserving to go, but like usual he doesn't play on the East or West coast, so he gets forgotten under the Coast Bias. (My .02 - but you did fail to mention him).

Just like 2007 - he should have been ROY but the writers were enamored with Braun's HRs - even though he made 3 times as many errors as Troy in a 1/3 as many games. And he was shafted on the Gold Glove too - which has also become a popularity contest - as it is SUPPOSED to be for best DEFENSE at the position and Tulo smoked J-Roll in 2007 defensively. But (even the writer's said as much) J-Roll had better offensive numbers (really for a DEFENSIVE award? but I digress) and they also flat out said that Tulo's numbers didn't matter because they have not and WILL not give the Gold Glove to a Rookie.

I understand the MGR picks the pitchers, but I have seen ASG MGRs make poor choices before, so Strasburg being named would not surprise me - especially with all the money MLB would make from jersey sales and AUTOd ASG items that they could list on MLB.com. Don't think for a minute that MLB won't be in Manuel's ear pushing him to name the kid to the roster.

Hell, did you see the latest BS with 'pimping out' Strasburg?

The Topps Million Card Give Away Promotion made a RC card of Strasburg available the night of his debut. They are limited and being randomly awarded to people redeeming codes....

Well, while redeeming two more codes last night, I saw a message on Topp's site:

http://www.toppscards.com/CustomerService/AboutUs.aspx

The 1st 300 people to Redeem their Strasburgs (in other words, ask for the card to be shipped to them) can pay the small sum of $350.00 to have their cards signed by Strasburg before being shipped out!

Wow! Let's just squeeze every last penny we can get/make out of this kid MLB!

If he falters, this will easily be the biggest Rookie bust in history due to all the 'pimping' and such that MLB has done on this kid - not to mention the Nationals themselves.

Sorry for the Rant all (again, my .02) bu I a just tired of hearing about how he's going to be this that and the other. The proof is in the pudding as they say... and again I say: David Clyde, Brian Taylor, Todd Van Poppel, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Ben McDonald... need I go on?

All the best -

Chris

In the past, a few teams have been know to issue two sets of TBTC jerseys for a TBTC game. One set was worn on the field, and the other was not. Because none of the descriptions state the jerseys being auctioned were used or worn, how do collectors know these teams did not have an unused/unworn set and that it is the set being auctioned? Did anyone ask for clarification from MLB? I ask because I am interested in UVA alumni Ryan Zimmerman's jersey. But I do not want to pay a premium for what turns out to be an autographed extra jersey.

Anyone get any clarification as to whether these are game worn? Still don't see any changes on the MLB listing and it seems like they are just being offered as "autographed."

Found this link citing the same Baltimore Orioles throwback jerseys auctioning off from the same game:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal...um/auction.jsp

Looks like the Washington & Baltimore jerseys are indeed "game used" according to the website, but who knows for sure. Would've been nice if the MLB site descriptions actually said so.

Good luck!

This just in... Strasburg is going to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame...

http://www.readtheapple.com/2010/07/...-baseball.html
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    I was at the Braves game yesterday for Strasburg's start and I noticed every single foul ball was picked up by a batboy and thrown straight to an MLB Authenticator sitting right next to Bobby Cox near the dugout. Now you'll see them up in no time on MLB auctions. There were a few that were thrown by Strasburg to Chipper Jones so you'll see some of those for sure fetch high prices. It's crazy.

Just as I thought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-Strasbur...item5888adee2b