Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tcfor3
    • May 2009

Re: Manute Bol...taken from us too soon

In response to the photos posted with Manute wearing a jersey without the thin blue lines that the Bullets wore in Manute’s first two seasons (1985-86 and 1986-87).

The images of Manute from the New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks games are from preseason games. My collection of photos are from regular season and playoff games only so this is the first time I have seen images that show the Bullets wearing older style jerseys during a future season's preseason.

While these do show Bol wearing a jersey without the thin blue stripes, there are still marked differences between the jersey pictured on this thread and the one that Bol is wearing in the Getty images.

The numbers and letters on the jersey that Bol wears in the images against the Knicks and Mavericks do not match up in placement on the front of the jersey with the jersey pictured on this thread. The name on the back of the jersey is also placed on the jersey with much more of an arch and also doesn’t match up in placement in relation to the numbers on the jersey as with the name on the nameplate shown on Getty image #102316243. The numbers on the back of the jersey pictured on this thread are also sewn much closer together than on the Getty image jersey.

The line you describe on Getty image #102316243 is the bottom of the nameplate on the back of his jersey. You can see the same type of “line” on the jersey of the player (Jeff Malone) to Bol’s right.

During the mid 1980’s, the Bullets had precut nameplates made for their home and road jerseys that they would have a player’s name screened onto and then sewn onto a jersey as needed. I have several of these blank nameplates as well as a few others that have had player’s names screened on that were removed from jerseys when the player left the team. They are cut the same size.

So while there is evidence that the Bullets wore older style jerseys in Manute’s first preseason, the jersey in the Getty photos does not match the particular jersey pictured on this thread.

Comment

• otismalibu
      • Nov 2005

The images of Manute from the New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks games are from preseason games. My collection of photos are from regular season and playoff games only so this is the first time I have seen images that show the Bullets wearing older style jerseys during a future season's preseason.
      So, what we've learned here, is that your collection is not complete Pre-season game jerseys still count as game worn, although not as desirable as regular season or post season.

While these do show Bol wearing a jersey without the thin blue stripes, there are still marked differences between the jersey pictured on this thread and the one that Bol is wearing in the Getty images.
      No one is saying that Alberto's jersey is a match to the photo. It was posted to show that Bol did indeed wear the jersey w/o the stripes you mentioned.

Those are some interesting nameplates on the Bullets jerseys. Why wouldn't they just cut plates to fit the name? Much less sewing involved in adding the plate and much less seam ripping when removing. Lot of extra work to basically hide the end seams.
      Greg
      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• tcfor3
        • May 2009

First of all, I never said my collection was complete.

In addition, I am always willing to learn more about what teams have done in regards to there uniforms. While I have acquired a great deal of knowledge about several teams uniform histories, I am always ready to add to that knowledge.

While there is evidence that the Bol wore a Bullets jersey that did not have the additional blue stripes during the preseason of his rookie year, the jersey pictured on this thread is not that jersey.

It would be highly unlikely for the Bullets to make more than one home or road jersey for any player for the preseason unless there is evidence that that particular player's jersey was lost or stolen during that preseason. They wouldn't have gone to that expense unless absolutely necessary.

Second, my original question still stands, This jersey doesn't have the name on a nameplate, so why or for what reason was it made?

If anyone can shed some light onto that, please do.

Comment

• otismalibu
          • Nov 2005

While there is evidence that the Bol wore a Bullets jersey that did not have the additional blue stripes during the preseason of his rookie year, the jersey pictured on this thread is not that jersey.
          Yeah, I think we've established that. It's not a photomatch thread...it's a RIP tribute thread. The only reason the photo was posted was in response to your claim that he didn't wear Bullets jerseys w/o the stripe.

They wouldn't have gone to that expense unless absolutely necessary.
          They were spending all their money on nameplate material and thread.

This jersey doesn't have the name on a nameplate, so why or for what reason was it made?
          Retail? I've picked up a few Wilson 76ers jerseys that were exactly the same as their late 70s/early 80s gamers. Supposedly, these were sold to the public. Just bought one on eBay a couple days back. No name on back.

Did they do this with Bullets jerseys? Could fans buy nameless jerseys just like what the players wore? If so, maybe a Dandridge retail jersey was improperly customized after the fact. Or maybe it's a Dandridge gamer? I could find any photos of Dandridge where the front numbers matched up.
          Greg
          DrJStuff.com

Comment

• tcfor3
            • May 2009

This isn't a retail jersey because there is an additional white cloth tag attached to the Wilson tag on the front that should have the additional length that this jersey has when it was made written on it. That tag wouldn't have been added to retail jerseys by Wilson.

This could be a Dandridge game jersey that someone had Bol screened directly onto the back.

This could have been done by the Bullets' front office to have pictures taken at a press conference of Bol holding the jersey when he was signed. A search for images from when Bol was signed by the Bullets may show that this was done.

I have looked through the Bullets media guide from 1985-86 and newsletters from that era, but none show a photo from Bol's press conference when he signed.

Comment

• otismalibu
              • Nov 2005

Ah yes, the added length tag. Didn't notice it. That would rule out retail.

Unless one can find a photo or someone with inside knowledge.

I've seen a 76ers Maravich jersey auctioned off that was supposedly made for a future press conference, when it looked like he would sign with Philly. He ended up signing with the Celtics.

Would be interesting to see if one could find a Dandridge jersey that matched up. No idea what size he wore. Did Alberto state what size this one is? I found a completed auction for a road Bol Bullets and I think it was a size 38 jersey. Looked a shade longer too.
              Greg
              DrJStuff.com

Comment

• LEGEND33
                • Nov 2005

Thanks again for all the info....i tried to photomatch the jersey but....
                Size 46 LONG
                One thing that can help to photomatch is the "basketball logo" over the double L of word bullets: it is sewn, in the lower part, over the white stripe...
                YES the picture was posted as a tribute to Manute.

Comment

• otismalibu
                  • Nov 2005

Back in the early/mid 80s, size 46 would be considered a pretty good sized jersey, unless these Bullets jerseys ran small.

Here's the Bol auction I found. Manute was a stick.

Lot 215: Circa 1986 Manute Bol Rookie Era Washington Bullets Game-Used Road Jersey with Shorts & Socks (4)___In 1985 he

Size 46 would probably even be too big for Dandridge, IMO. I think Moses was wearing a size 46 Wilson in the early 80s.
                  Greg
                  DrJStuff.com

Comment

Working...