The Phillies have had problems with MLB authenticated descriptions vs. what the Phillies state about the use of the item. For example, the Phillies auctioned off home plate from the 2008 World Series championship game and had it authenticated by MLB. The hologram stated that it was "game issued." I talked with the Phillies head of merchandise who was there when the plate was dug up but the sticker was placed by MLB later. The buyer was understandably upset since the item brought a big price.

I bought a Ryan Howard jersey at one of the Phillies silent auctions this year that was listed as "game used." The wash tag had wear on it indicating and there were some loose threads in the number indicating at least probable use. A couple of months after the auction, the MLB authentic hologram appeared on the web site. The jersey was listed by MLB as "game issued, back up #2). On the MLB site it specifically states in the FAQ's:
Q: I have an item that is listed as Team Issued, what does this mean?
A: Team Issued is a designation by an independent third party authenticator who attests that the item was issued by the Club to its clubhouse. This designation is not intended to determine use of the item in any capacity.

I have two options. The Phillies will write me a letter indicating that the jersey was game used. However, MLB authenticated sets itself up as the gold standard for authenticity. Alternatitively, I can return the jersey for a full refund.

I would welcome opinions of what figures to be a potential problem now that MLB authenticated is taking over game jerseys but can only document it as game used if their representative observes it taken off in the clubhouse. Keep it or return it. Thanks