Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Meeting “Donnie Baseball”

Awesome story Chris! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I always enjoy hearing about the good experiences fans have with athletes.

I agree 100% with you about collecting players because they are good people. I've met a couple of athletes who were just super nice to me and everyone there and because of that, I became a fan. It makes collecting their items that much more enjoyable.

Congrats on having such a great experience, it sounds like you had a blast. Do I see a Don Mattingly game used jersey or bat in your future?

I can say that Don Mattingly is one of the nicest and more personal players to have played in the last 30-40 years.

I used to live in Evansville, IN (his hometown) during the late 1980's and early 1990's while going to college and I used to see him all the time. I worked at a local pharmacy close to his home and would make deliveries to his home quite frequently. During the off-season I would see him probably weekly at either his home or at his restaurant, Mattingly's 23 in Evansville. I got to know Don and his wife Kim rather well.

Since I got to know him from coming to his home through the pharmacy we struck up a friendship since he knew that I was such a baseball fan and collector. Everytime I would see him we would talk for at least 10-15 minutes. There were even a couple of time he invited me to have lunch with him at his restaurant during the off-season. I once had the chance to give him a rare original photo from one of his first games as a professional in the minor leagues that he had never seen. He thought it was very cool and thanked me several times after he received it.

It was cool because I never asked for anything but it seemed almost everytime I made a delivery to his house when he was there he would give me something to add to my collection whether it was a bat, batting gloves, signed photo, etc. He also autographed a lot of other items for me over the years.

I hope he is rewarded soon with a manager's job because he has paid his dues and really is one of the good guys in the game.

Great story Chris thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Mattingly85MVP

loving the thread...he is a great guy, met him a few times at signings as well and just him talking to the fans/taking pictures with everyone without any complaint was refreshing for once. Hope he gets that elusive WS ring as a manager (still wishing that happens as the yankees manager, maybe someday he'll be back)

Anyone have any GU Donnie items for sale?