X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Pro-Cut, Game Issued & Game Ready Jerseys - a Definition

I believe the problem with the "game issued" argument is people want to believe that all game issued jerseys were sitting in the locker room ready to be used but weren't.

Needless to say, this would be great in a perfect world, but it is not realistic. eBay sellers will label items as "game issued" if they are the same tagging as one worn in a game.

This means that a 1992-1993 Michael Jordan "pro cut" jersey will continued to be sold as "game issued" because the tagging is the same as the jersey that Michael wore in a game in 1992-1993.

I believe the problem is that the "game issued" jerseys we are discussing are the same as the old salesmen samples that used to surface but the terminology has changed how they are sold which I cannot see changing anytime soon.

Since eBay dictates such a high percentage of the market, sellers will not stop using the term "game issued" for jerseys tagged identically as "game used" so maybe the term needs to be defined more broadly?

Comment

• hblakewolf
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Let's discuss the never ending supply of "Barry Bonds Game Issued" jerseys that appear in EVERY major auction, however, are void of the Bonds 25 tagging and/or his LOA. These jerseys are available on a regular basis on Ebay, and are listed as game issued/team issued. What's interesting is that the various authenticators are writing LOA's stating they are gamers, even though they are void of the tag/LOA.

Howard Wolf
      hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• BarryMeisel
        • Jan 1970

Joel,

When buying a MeiGray product, it is realistic.

Since we security tag jerseys from the teams and leagues we work with, a game-issued jersey will have a MeiGray security tag ... and that is how it differs from a jersey bought over the counter, or a salesman's sample.

People can believe what they want to believe, but when they purchase a game-issued jersey from MeiGray, they are certain to get a jersey that was prepared by the team for the player, and was in the team's inventory of game jerseys.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Barry, that is great for customers who buy from MeiGrey and Steiner (maybe I am missing someone in this group) but what about all the jerseys for sale on eBay as "game issued" or "team issued".

This is why the term needs to be redefined.

Hats off to your company for the progress it has made, but since only a limited number of teams are working with resellers, it makes the market very tough to dissect right now.

Comment

• hblakewolf
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Barry-
            Can you briefly discuss your thoughts on the 2003 Arod Rangers jerseys that are sold in the various auctions as "game used", however, are void of your tagging and paperwork? A previous post indicated that Arod may have ordered extra jerseys himself. My understanding is that EVERY Rangers jersey had to go through MeiGray's tagging system, and as such, every Arod gamer would have to have your tagging. Am I correct?

As always, thanks.
            Howard Wolf
            hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Originally posted by BarryMeisel
            Joel,

When buying a MeiGray product, it is realistic.

Since we security tag jerseys from the teams and leagues we work with, a game-issued jersey will have a MeiGray security tag ... and that is how it differs from a jersey bought over the counter, or a salesman's sample.

People can believe what they want to believe, but when they purchase a game-issued jersey from MeiGray, they are certain to get a jersey that was prepared by the team for the player, and was in the team's inventory of game jerseys.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

• BarryMeisel
              • Jan 1970

Hi Howard,
              Yes, they were supposed to. If Arod ordered jerseys himself, carried them into the clubhouse, wore them, and carried them out, it would be circumventing the Rangers' system.

But is there any way of proving he did that? And that he wore those jerseys? Given the degree of wear on the correct Arods, and the fact that we easily photo-matched a few, it would be interesting to see if the ones supposedly sold as game-used would in fact show up in photos.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

• BarryMeisel
                • Jan 1970

Joel,
                I don't think the term needs to be redefined.

I think collectors need to be more discriminating, and more realistic.

Game-used and game-issued items are very limited in supply. Common sense should tell a collector that the frequency with which high-profile names appear in virtually every auction, or on ebay every week, is a strong suggestion that much of these items are not as advertised.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Barry, here is an example of a jersey that recently sold on eBay:

Now, you and I know this jersey most likely never hit the locker room, but the title still reads:

MINNESOTA TWINS GAME ISSUED USED JERSEY JOHAN SANTANA
                  AUTHENTIC FIELD GAME JERSEY, SIZE 48

The description reads:

TWINS GAME ISSUED JERSEY. JERSEY IS 100% AUTHENTIC AND IS A GAME, FIELD ISSUED JERSEY. THIS JERSEY IS THE SAME JERSEY THAT IS WORN ON THE FIELD. THE JERSEY IS BLANK IN THE BACK. THIS JERSEY IS BRAND NEW. PAYPAL REQUIRED FOR THIS AUCTION PAYMENT DUE WITHIN 4 DAYS OF AUCTION END.

So, this is a jersey sold as "game issued" but it never hit a locker room, and any smart buyer knows this before placing a bid. Needless to say, in today's market "game issued" does not mean it has hung in a locker room, with the high number of people using it for "game ready" jerseys or "game tagged" jerseys.

Comment

• Spiezio23
                    • Nov 2005

What about the difference between "Game Used" and "Game Worn", lets use the example of the Pedro jerseys, he has 2 different styles he wears, one for pitching days and one for bench days. The Pitching day one would actually be used in the game while his bench jerseys would be worn during the game but not used in actual gameplay.

As far as the example of the Johan jersey below, it's really just a keyword spamming auction and the jersey may never have made it to the locker room but it could have been in their storage room to be used. So I agree it's not a game issued as it was never customized for a player. That's what people do to try and get more $, and people buy into it.
                    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & Anything of Felix Hernandez or Richie Sexson.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• BarryMeisel
                      • Jan 1970

Joel,
                      I get between 2-4 junk e-mails every day from foreign businessman telling me they are ready to give me $5 million if I cash some check or do something for them. Does that mean this is real? Do you think I do anything except hit the delete button?

If anyone spent more than 5 seconds taking that e-bay offer of the Santana seriously, then that person should not be collecting game-worn jerseys without a lot of help from somebody more knowledgeable.

It is time this hobby stopped listening to fairy tales and started using more common sense.

Regards,
                      Barry

Comment

• bigtime59
                        • Nov 2005

...If anyone spent more than 5 seconds taking that e-bay offer of the Santana seriously, then that person should not be collecting game-worn jerseys without a lot of help from somebody more knowledgeable...
                        Barry:
                        There were two types of people interested in that jersey: those who were looking for a Twins jersey, either to wear as is, or to personalize for themselves, and didn't feel like dropping whatever absurd amount the local sports store is charging for "authentic" jersys...and those who were looking to buy it, bobo it up, and put it out in the eBay market as "game used."
                        The seller on this piece has moved TONS of blank, intended for the team Russell jerseys over the last couple of years. The early bird catches the Russell dump sale, I suppose...

Mark Sutton
                        bigtime39@aol.com
                        Mark
                        msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• hblakewolf
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Barry-
                          Check your private email on this Forum for a message from me.
                          Howard Wolf

Joel,
                          I get between 2-4 junk e-mails every day from foreign businessman telling me they are ready to give me $5 million if I cash some check or do something for them. Does that mean this is real? Do you think I do anything except hit the delete button?

If anyone spent more than 5 seconds taking that e-bay offer of the Santana seriously, then that person should not be collecting game-worn jerseys without a lot of help from somebody more knowledgeable.

It is time this hobby stopped listening to fairy tales and started using more common sense.

Regards,
                          Barry

Comment

• ashleymurphy08
                            • Jul 2010

I am buying a Hockey jersey online, and there are two types of jerseys, reebok edge and reebok premier. I dont know what the diffrence is , all i know is the edge is more expensive lol, here is what the website says:

This Reebok® EDGE hockey jersey replicates the player worn Pro-cut jersey in fabric, trim and team design. It's made of double knit polyester and has four-way stretch mesh, which provides a balance of ventilation and range of motion in the underarm and back areas. The jersey is designed with a combination of direct embroidery and appliqué twill graphics.

Reebok® Premier jersey is the perfect way to support your favorite team! It's made of polyester two-way stretch pique fabric and has solid mesh inserts for ventilation. The front crest is embroidered just like the authentic jersey, and your personalized name and number in single-layer, screen-printed twill are heat pressed onto the back and sleeves.

So what one is more like the actually jersey the players use? Which one is more authentic ?

Comment

• gingi79
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ashleymurphy08
                              I am buying a Hockey jersey online, and there are two types of jerseys, reebok edge and reebok premier. I dont know what the diffrence is , all i know is the edge is more expensive lol, here is what the website says:

This Reebok® EDGE hockey jersey replicates the player worn Pro-cut jersey in fabric, trim and team design. It's made of double knit polyester and has four-way stretch mesh, which provides a balance of ventilation and range of motion in the underarm and back areas. The jersey is designed with a combination of direct embroidery and appliqué twill graphics.

Reebok® Premier jersey is the perfect way to support your favorite team! It's made of polyester two-way stretch pique fabric and has solid mesh inserts for ventilation. The front crest is embroidered just like the authentic jersey, and your personalized name and number in single-layer, screen-printed twill are heat pressed onto the back and sleeves.

So what one is more like the actually jersey the players use? Which one is more authentic ?
                              Edge is the authentic one. Premier is the new replica.

Couple of things of note in the Premier listing "The front crest is embroidered just like the authentic jersey" which I read to mean, it is a replica. Also, all of my game worn hockey jerseys are sewn name and number. Therefore, "name and number in single-layer, screen-printed twill are heat pressed onto the back and sleeves" is replica all the way.

This is how teams like the Islanders can take an order from a fan for a John Tavares jersey before the puck drops and he can pick it up at first intermission. I sure hope the technology has evolved as heat pressing has peeled on all my old football authentics from the early 90's

If you are looking for a non-name number or low popularity player, I would suggest contact Barry at www.MeiGray.com He runs MeiGray which is the company which markets almost half the NHL's teams game worn jerseys. Of course if he doesn't deal with your team, then nevermind.

Worth a look anyway.
                              Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2009

Most insanely priced GU Item Ever!

Move over $20,000 Mark Sanchez: JO is selling a Tim Tebow jersey for $10,000 from the 9-26 game. The only problem is Tebow did not play in the game. So they are essentially selling something that never left the bench for that price. IMO since he did not play its not even a game worn jersey although I know others differ on that point. At least Sanchez played in the game the 20k jersey was from.

Comment

Working...