Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: $100 Yankees-Steiner Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by psmachetti
    I don't understand. Why is it impossible for a jersey to have been used in '95 and then used the next yr and tagged for 96? I thought teams used jerseys for more than 1 yr?
    Paul
    Paul, there is no history of a team re-tagging a jersey for the next year. They may reuse it and it still is tagged for the previous year, but the year tag has never been replaced in such a situation.

I have to agree with TRSENT on this one. What possible reason would they have for retagging a jersey to correspond with that year. Players could care less and probably don't even notice what year is on the jersey. So, who would go thru the trouble of updating a year tag?

Joel, you did in fact use the word "impossible", otherwise, I probably would not even addressed it, but that is not the point. You base your theory on the fact that "it is well known that the Yankees never kept a log....the jerseys were just put into boxes"...but in fact there is a log that the Yankees kept, and I look at it almost daily for information and clarification. Your sources did not give you accurate information this time around.

That being said, of course mistakes get made (by everyone), but in this particular case, we will have to agree to disagree, "cheap" jersey notwithstanding.

Keep up the good work, I never take offense to legitimate questions being raised.

Bob

sorry....one final clarification and then we should probably move on from this....while the Yankees did provide a jersey/pants/bats log that is actively used, there certainly can be mistakes made there from time to time, as we are dealing with literally thousands of individual items--and human beings on both sides.

Banned

Bob, you are right and I am wrong...I did use the term "impossible" in my previous post. When I searched for the word in the text it didn't come up, but I did use it.

I will now retract that word. It was possible that the jersey was worn in 1995 and then actually for the first time in history of known jersey tagging, which is completely uncharacteristic of Yankees tagging, re-tagged the next season. In all my years in this industry there has never been a previous example of this practice that I have seen, but it is possible.

Bob, from what I have been told, you are a great salesman, but I don't know what your experience is with game used jerseys but it appears you may be new to the industry and you should keep an open mind because the members of this forum are generally very knowledgeable and their views on issues such as this one ($100 jersey or $5000 jersey) should be viewed genuinely because in the end we do care about this industry and integrity.

Show the jersey in question already. Let's see the tag-what's the big deal? Also, have you see Steiner's wherehouse on the YES network? It's huge. They HAVE to make room?

Banned

Swoboda I have been there many times to there warehouse/cage it is pretty full.

My question to Bob is this.

I JUST WANT TO CLARIFY OUT OF ALL THESE POSTS THE REAL QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED AND CONFIRMED.

Bob are you saying in your records, that this Jersey was tagged for 1995 and Melido Perez wore it and then the tag was taken off and a 1996 tag was put in its place?

suave1477- Right question to ask. This means there's a guy at Yankee Stadium(equipment manager?)who,on jerseys with no names on them,felt the need to take a tag off(Who over there cares?)for re-issuing? If there's such a guy-I would assume Steiner would know about it,or would want to know about it. Who is the "RE-TAGGER" I say! And who the hell at Yankee Stadium cares other than the size fits another player.

As much as I enjoyed spending time with you all over the past few days, I am making my final post and moving on for the time being. Conspiracy theories aside, we go by the information provided by the New York Yankees; in some instances, we may question certain items (as will clients), and may or may not make a change, depending on the information available, and its reliability. Since it has been pointed out how experienced and well connected many of you are, it would stand to reason that you can simply contact the Yankees on your own and get the best possible clarifications on these individual items; if so, more power to you.

Anyone on this forum (or elsewhere) who has purchased a game used item from me knows without question, that I will discuss all possibilities with them, at any time, any length, and with respect for their opinion--there are many times in which common sense has prevailed and changes have been made at the client's request--to insinuate otherwise is ludicrous.

It's been fun...I'm sure we will cross paths over time.

Bob

Banned

The folks at American Memorabila also said the same, however, later returned with Col. James Rask as their mouthpiece.

Bob, come on........we appreciate the insight. What's it going to take to keep you as an active reader? What if every reader agrees to buy at least one game used Yankees batting helmet at $12,000 or a pair of pants at $500.? Deal?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net