Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: $100 Yankees-Steiner Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by Rmmm912
    As much as I enjoyed spending time with you all over the past few days, I am making my final post and moving on for the time being. Conspiracy theories aside, we go by the information provided by the New York Yankees; in some instances, we may question certain items (as will clients), and may or may not make a change, depending on the information available, and its reliability. Since it has been pointed out how experienced and well connected many of you are, it would stand to reason that you can simply contact the Yankees on your own and get the best possible clarifications on these individual items; if so, more power to you.

Anyone on this forum (or elsewhere) who has purchased a game used item from me knows without question, that I will discuss all possibilities with them, at any time, any length, and with respect for their opinion--there are many times in which common sense has prevailed and changes have been made at the client's request--to insinuate otherwise is ludicrous.

It's been fun...I'm sure we will cross paths over time.

Bob
    So, Bob, do you think the members of this forum are claiming that Steiner is intentionally selling a 1995 - 1996 Melido Perez jersey as game used when we feel the jersey is not game used?

You can opt our of the conversation, but the truth is the jersey has no evidence of being used in 1995, as there is no history of any team re-tagging a year tag when a jersey is carried over from one year to the next.

I could care less about this jersey, but the principle of how it was tagged and sold as such has me confused and your avoiding the input of people who have much more experience in the game used memorabilia industry than you do is a tad bit insulting to me personally.

We were trying to work with Steiner so that errors such as this Melido Perez jersey are corrected and not thrown in our face for the future of the hobby, this industry and your company's solid reputation. I have no problem with Steiner Sports or you personally, it is just that there is an issue that you are claiming is right and experts in this industry such as myself are claiming do not make sense with the history of such items and Steiner should reconsider the classifications on this one item for the future of all letters of authenticity.

Banned

I forgot to mention, I do not believe Steiner is trying to defraud anyone, I believe this to be an honest error. I have no issues with Steiner Sports.

I will add one more possibility to what this jersey in fact could be. I understand the confusion, I really do, and I can see where and why you guys have questions. The other POSSIBILITY with the Perez Jersey is it was NOT used by Perez, but by Charlie Hayes in 1996. As you have all pointed out, there was no evidence of re-tagging jerseys, so this is the most likely alternative possiblity. It could have been tagged for Perez, he did not return, and the Jersey was given to Charlie Hayes. Remember, Derek Jeter's FIRST EVER Yankee jersey was a renumbered Bernie Williams 1995 Jersey( It had williams 95 on the tag i believe). If Charlie Hayes was a lte edition to the team, its possible they just gave him the jersey already tagged for Perez. The question of whether its game used or game issued is the wrong focus, in more of a focus as to which player wore the jersey Hayes or Perez. This is the last time I'm chiming into this topic as well, as I have given all my possible insights into this. The fact remains is its a still a Yankees gamer from 1996, and a STEAL at $100.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YanksSteiner
    I will add one more possibility to what this jersey in fact could be. I understand the confusion, I really do, and I can see where and why you guys have questions. The other POSSIBILITY with the Perez Jersey is it was NOT used by Perez, but by Charlie Hayes in 1996. As you have all pointed out, there was no evidence of re-tagging jerseys, so this is the most likely alternative possiblity. It could have been tagged for Perez, he did not return, and the Jersey was given to Charlie Hayes. Remember, Derek Jeter's FIRST EVER Yankee jersey was a renumbered Bernie Williams 1995 Jersey( It had williams 95 on the tag i believe). If Charlie Hayes was a lte edition to the team, its possible they just gave him the jersey already tagged for Perez. The question of whether its game used or game issued is the wrong focus, in more of a focus as to which player wore the jersey Hayes or Perez. This is the last time I'm chiming into this topic as well, as I have given all my possible insights into this. The fact remains is its a still a Yankees gamer from 1996, and a STEAL at $100.
    Yes, a reasonable price at $100.00 either way and truth is the jersey could have been worn by Charlie Hays - I have a hunch we will never know.

If the owner of this jersey emails me, if the jersey has not sold maybe I'll buy it for fun.

Joel,

C'mon...insulted personally???? I have done anything but avoided your input; I have engaged in what I thought was a healthy dialogue.

As I mentioned, I primarily go by what information I am given by the Yankees—you can disagree based on what you feel to be the case, and that is ok and I can respect that. If it was you buying the jersey and you did not agree with our assessment, you have every right to pass on the purchase, and I would understand completely, because some items have ambiguous origins and always will.

If the person who bought the Perez jersey (who I have dealt with before) comes to me and asks for additional clarification, I will do everything in my power to either find evidence to support an answer that they are comfortable with—or it is possible that I will request or authorize a change, or they can return the item for a full refund. This goes for any jersey purchased by anyone.

The particular jersey that has been called into question is game used—this is indisputable based on the wear and condition of the tags; someone with your experience should (and would) recognize this immediately. Is it possible that someone other than Perez wore it? Of course….we have jerseys tagged as “B Williams” that were worn by Jeter, and a hundred other examples; but again, on the list provided buy the Yankees (yes, it exists), the jersey is listed as game used, Melido Perez.

Banned

...and as you have seen, I now wish to buy the jersey if the owner is still trying to sell it he has my email address!

Ah,the high road by Bob ..and goodbye. Sorry you feel that way. Were in a hobby/market that collectors have to talk the way we do and be a little suspicious some times. It helps to be civil and we try. But some very good dealers have occasionally let us down and ordinary ones always bear watching. As an excellent seller you can aford not to worry as we would have to. But if someone from the Yankees said something like come by Monday and pick up 30 years worth of items I know that not all were game used. It also interesting that many high profile people in this Forum benefited from this $100 sale. Interesting. They kept it quiet didn't share any info untill a problem arose when Shafrancollectibles.com started selling the jerseys and Suave1477 noticed a problem. Anyway,It good to know the shelves at Steiner are chock full of unwanted Yankee jerseys(And...they're being moved,as Bob said,to make room for the Met Items.How the Worm has turned.)

I am up in Boston now, but have to say I made a great side trip on my drive. I had stopped in New Rochelle NY which of course is home to Steiner Sports and the Yankees-Steiner warehouse===also known as the Yankees cage.

My sales rep Phil was nice enough to show me around and yes, I met the infamous Bob M.

The cage was extremely organized and shelving floor to ceiling with amazing items.

There is now a smaller section of Mets items. For anyone interested, they just got a Pedro Martinez 2006 Set 2 with the mesh under the arms and +2" body.

I talked to Sean M. who is the man in charge of Yankees-Steiner. New holograms are on the way!

I went thru the game used bat section where they just got in 650 Yankee bats which they just inventoried. There were several Damon and Jeter bats as well as a great 2-tone cracked Hideki Matsui!!!!

OK, I was like a kid in the candy store so I did buy a great Yankees bat of Alfonso Soriano!

Thanks again to Phil and the guys at Steiner.