Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$100 Yankees-Steiner Jerseys

Wow....just reading through the posts and realizing there was quite a firestorm of debate over the $100 Yankees game used jerseys. I just want to clarify a few things from the "front lines" of this promotion:

1) The sale was purely an attempt to move some stagnant items, as we needed room in the cage for incoming Mets inventory; many people do not realize this, but the Yankees had given us over 30 years worth of game used jerseys they had in storage, and much has not even been made available to the public yet...this represented a very small portion of that. Anyone who complains that we overprice our items and THEN complains when they are priced at this rate will likely never be pleased...just my opinion.

2) Ideally, the jerseys would have been snapped up by collectors who would otherwise be unable to afford a real Yankees game used jersey, but naturally the secondary market resellers are a little quicker to act--especially at this price, as it creates easy profit. Nothing wrong with that, but to the private collectors who found "slim pickings" after just a few hours, that is the reason.

3) I am not the only sales rep at Steiner, but I am the only one who focuses 100% on game used collectibles (there seemed to be some confusion about that as well). Naturally, my clients will often benefit from this fact. I also post information on promotions on the "Game Used Blog" on the Steiner site; one of which is also running in the current Beckett Elite.

4) Regarding the Perez jersey, it was game used by Melido in 1995 and tagged in 1996 with Perez's name, not used by Melido in 1996, as he did not pitch that year. If anything, the LOA should read "Perez game used 1995 road jersey, tagged 1996); no way this should be sold as "game issued".

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me at any time, through phone or e-mail (bmalandro@steinersports.com, 914-307-1074), I am not on here frequently, so I may or may not see a reply to this post right away.

Bob Malandro
    Yankees-Steiner Collectibles
    Mets-Steiner Collectibles

Re: $100 Yankees-Steiner Jerseys

Bob - Welcome to the site. Our sales Rep is Phil Reese who is great to deal with. Most of our purchases are game used items.

Not knowing all the internal procedures at Steiner, do all the Reps have the same access to the same game used items?

Thanks. Andrew
    www.AllStarsPlus.com

No complaints here! I think it was a great idea. I am one of those collectors Bob referred to who normally would be unable to afford a Yankee gamer. This was a great opportunity for me to score a Yankee pinstripe gamer. I found there was a pretty good selection of 2nd tier stars available. Kudos to Bob for making these available at an affordable price. Hope there's another coming in the future.
    Paul

There are also some great deals on Yankees gamers to be had on the Steiner Website Auctions, i have personally picked up my share for $50.,$80., & $100.

Larry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rmmm912
    4) Regarding the Perez jersey, it was game used by Melido in 1995 and tagged in 1996 with Perez's name, not used by Melido in 1996, as he did not pitch that year. If anything, the LOA should read "Perez game used 1995 road jersey, tagged 1996); no way this should be sold as "game issued".
    Bob,

Welcome to the site. I just want to clarify something for you. A jersey tagged for 1996 could never have been worn in 1995. Teams and manufacturers, do not re-tag jerseys a year after they were worn. This is the more likely scenario, Perez was suppose to be on the Yankees 1996 roster, so when the team ordered jerseys in the winter or spring 1996 a jersey was made for him, but when he was not on the team, another player or even a coach could have used the jersey. Let me restate so that this point is clear: A jersey tagged for the 1996 season, would never have been re-tagged from the 1995 season. It would never have been worn a year earlier.

It just took me five minutes of research to find that Charlie Hayes wore #33 in the 1996 season.

I would say that Charlie Hayes wore the jersey in 1996, if the size matches up or was Melido Perez on the injured list in 1996? I couldn't find records of this in doing my homework. Could he have worn the jersey on the bench or was he cut in spring training or after spring training? Could he of worn it in spring training of 1996? Again, in doing my research I couldn't' find this information which maybe someone with some free time can find.

Now, my bold statement: This jersey was never worn by Melido Perez in 1995. That would have been impossible.

Banned

AS MUCH AS THIS IS KILLING ME, I DO AGREE WITH THE OTHER MEMBER!!!

Melido never wore the Jersey in 1995!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    AS MUCH AS THIS IS KILLING ME, I DO AGREE WITH THE OTHER MEMBER!!!

Melido never wore the Jersey in 1995!!!
    You love me.
    You hate me.

All I will say is be extremely careful with "always" and "impossible" statements. Unless you have seen this particular jersey or communicated directly with the New York Yankees, that is a bold statement indeed. Obviously nothing is impossible, and there were an enormous number of recycled jerseys (by the Yankees) up to and including 1997.

There is no apparent reason to debate this any further, as your "impossible" statement tells me your mind is made up, but I admire your enthusiasm for the subject.

I don't understand. Why is it impossible for a jersey to have been used in '95 and then used the next yr and tagged for 96? I thought teams used jerseys for more than 1 yr?
    Paul

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rmmm912
    All I will say is be extremely careful with "always" and "impossible" statements. Unless you have seen this particular jersey or communicated directly with the New York Yankees, that is a bold statement indeed. Obviously nothing is impossible, and there were an enormous number of recycled jerseys (by the Yankees) up to and including 1997.

There is no apparent reason to debate this any further, as your "impossible" statement tells me your mind is made up, but I admire your enthusiasm for the subject.
    From dealing in game used jersey for about twenty years now, and with close contacts who have dealt with these Yankees jerseys first hand, I can tell you that a jersey is never re-tagged for a later year after being worn in a previous season.

It would be possible that a jersey was tagged in 1995 and worn in 1996, but they have never showed a history of removing a year tag and wearing that jersey the next season with a new year tag.

It is known that The Yankees never kept a log of the jerseys that Steiner is selling, they were just put into boxes or whatever and stored and pulled for sale at this time. Never was a jersey such as the one being sold tagged by the Yankees "Worn in 1995, tagged for 1996". It has always been Steiner guessing such information. This is fine, because there are no names on many of the jerseys (on back) so often it has to be determined who wore which jersey.

Now, the jersey being question was also told to us by the current owner that the jersey does not show any signs of having the year tag removed and replaced.

This is a cheap jersey, but I think the forum would be proud if Steiner made a statement and admitted that it appears an error may have been made and reclassify the jersey as either team issued from 1996 as it will set a precedent that is needed in this industry because we all make errors and this appears to be one.

It is not a big deal, and never did I use the word "impossible" in my previous post. Anything is possible, but there is no evidence to support the claim that this jersey was used in 1995 and tagged for 1996 that makes any sense. What possible evidence is there?