Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Votto was robbed

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post

Bertha Fatbottom and her 4 stupid brats who spend the entire game filling out those cards for all the guys with cute butts would no longer affect common sense.
    LMAO! Well said, gingi!

Dave Miedema

Votto just homered for the second time in the game! Now leading the league.

Thanks you understanding what i was saying and agreeing with me.I never said players don't appreciate the honor.Even though i might question that comment as i think some might look at it as a hassle and so much a honor.To many i bet its just another game.I don't know as i am not player and niether are anyone else on this forum.So we dont know what they really think about it.My whole thing was that you have so-called fans voting with thier homer glasses on.And like even though a yankee might have better numbers they are not going to vote for them if they hate the yankees.Just using the yankees as a example as i am a fan of thiers and i get hate thrown at me all the time about it.And i hear i'll be damned if i am going to vote for a yankee.
    Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I have to agree with you on most of that, Joba. Most fans at games don't know diddlysquat about anything other than the biggest stars (like Howard) and are greeted with team promotions of "Vote for your favorite (insert team name here)", or "Vote for our guys."...even if your "guy" is hitting just above the Mendoza Line.

Baseball wants to have its cake and eat i,t too. The current setup is ridiculous. If you want it to be "the fans' game", then eliminate the World Series home field advantage incentive. If you want to keep the Series home edge as a prize, then turn all selections over to the players, coaches, and managers...people who actually KNOW what they're doing.

Dave Miedema

How do you know the players truly think it's a honor.And i am a yankees fan and i don't vote and don't care if any yankees play in the silly game.So you can't say people still care about thier players being recognized.Its about holding up that trophy at the end of the season.This and all star games and for one reason,well two reason.Money and ego thats all its about.
    Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    It is a joke of a game - And the system for selecting players is filled with geographic bias and numerous other imperfections. But it is still an honor to be selected. And people still care about their player's being recognized. And the Hall of Fame voters consider that among the primary accomplishments on a player's Hall worthiness. So a selection is not a meaningless discussion. It means a lot to the players and to the fans.

During the TV pre-game for the Reds game tonite, they highlighted the fact that all the Reds players wore "Vote Votto" red t-shirts during BP. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    How do you know the players truly think it's a honor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pietraynor View Post
    During the TV pre-game for the Reds game tonite, they highlighted the fact that all the Reds players wore "Vote Votto" red t-shirts during BP. Jay.
    That sure seems like a good example of players caring.

That and they all say "its an honor and I'm happy to be going" and they are disappointed when they don't get selected. They get paid to play in the ASG, they get bonuses for making AS rosters. Though to your point, I can only take them at their word, I don't know what they think to themselves as they fall asleep at night all I know is what they say and how they act and the implication of what they say and do leads me to think that they probably do care a bit. Its probably not going to send them to a life of depression, but they still care. I've talked to dozens of retired players and they all relish being All Stars to this day long after their careers are over.

So you can't say people still care about thier players being recognized.
    I can say that, I did say that. We wouldn't have threads like this one and blogs and ESPN talking about it if nobody cared. Please refrain from telling me what I "can't say".

Its about holding up that trophy at the end of the season.
    So? Are winning championships and being recognized as an All Star somehow contradictory? They have very little to do with each other. Yeah, every player would trade an All Star appearance for a World Series ring, but that's not relevant, because the two are not conditional on one another.

all star games and for one reason,well two reason.Money and ego thats all its about.
    yeah players get bonuses. they get more money on their next contract. they get publicity. it feeds their money and ego, so those are two fantastic reasons why players care. Thanks for helping support my statement... with your arguments.

Look, they are paid-professional athletes. This is their job. Of course they want money and acclaim. Do you think actors don't care about being nominated for an Academy Award?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

CAMPWEST-It goes both ways then.Dont say it means alot to the fans.When i am fan and it means nothing to me.And you don't think the reds are made to wear those jerseys.This whole all star thing is a joke.They are mdae to wear those things.Come one people are you that nieve.I am just glad to hear that cano wised up and got out of that biggest joke the home run derby.

Just because you are a fan and don't care doesn't mean that all fans don't care. Look if you don't care than why respond to anything to do with the game. Those of us that enjoy the all star game care about who is selected, we all have our biases whether we admit them or not. I'm a Reds fan, so I understand that I am biased in favor of Votto. But looking at the numbers I also think that he should have been selected. If I was a Phillies fan I might feel differently. I think it was great that the Reds wore those shirts. I really doubt the team would ever force people to wear a shirt, but when a player has been the best offensive player on the team for the past two years and goes about his job without causing a single controversy why would they not want to support him.

Finally we're all fans, short for fanatic, we all have our biases, so now lets enjoy the game (and derby, does anyone remember Josh Hamilton's awesome display?), oh and GO REDS!!!

CAMPWEST-It goes both ways then.Dont say it means alot to the fans.When i am fan and it means nothing to me.
    meaning nothing to one fan does not mean it does not matter to any or all fans. And I think your are picking on some trivial semantics of one fan, all fans and some fans. Clearly I meant it matters to some fans, not every single fan.

I am just glad to hear that cano wised up and got out of that biggest joke the home run derby.
    JOBANUT - It doesn't sound like Cano "wised up and got out of it". Cano's employer yanked him to "reduce risk of injury" against Cano's apparently non-wised-up-ed-ness.

from espn.com

Even after news broke online earlier in the afternoon, Cano was unaware he was out of the Derby.

After being in the dark about the New York Yankees' decision to pull him out of Monday's Home Run Derby, an "upset" and "disappointed" Cano had a meeting and conference call with manager Joe Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman, who clarified why they decided to pull the second baseman from Monday's event.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Banned

Every year deserving players are left out of the All Star Game and I don't know why everyone makes a big deal about it. Votto even ended up going anyway. The whole thing is a joke with the rosters being so large and the each team must have a rep rule and certain positions just don't have multiple guys worthy of being allstars.