Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fan falls at Ranger game

A fan fell about 30 feet from the second deck area of the Rangers/Indians game last night and landed on some seats and spectators below. He was trying to catch a ball that had been fouled there in the 5th inning. The game was stopped for around 15 minutes while the fan was treated and carried out. The report was he showed some response and was able to move, but no further report on his condition at this time. Fortunately none of the fans he fell on were seriously injured. Cleveland was in the field at that time and some of the players who saw him fall appeared visibly shaken. While this type of accident is rare I have been surprised that people are not seriously injured or killed by fouls lined into the stands. There is a huge difference between pop flies that drop into the stands and balls that are hit as hard as a ball can be hit and lined into the seats along the first or third base line. Just a few week ago a woman was killed when she hit by a line drive at a minor league game in the Dallas area. I know it is not possible to take all the risks out of life, and we may be more likley to be killed in a wreck driving to the game. But as hard as some balls are being hit into the stands is it time to think about some way to portect fans before we have a tragedy.

Re: Fan falls at Ranger game

This thread immediately made me think of a classic Baltimore sports story that was well before my time. My father used to tell this story. It happened at Memorial stadium. Back when the Baltimore Colts and the Baltimore Orioles both played there. When both professional teams in Charm City were winners and champions. One day/night thousands upon thousands poured into the stadium to cheer on one of our fabled franchises. Stairways and alley ways were packed. The escalators were filled to capacity every step of the way. Suddenly, without warning, the escalators began to shake and then they tore away from the cement that held them in place in the great stadium structure and KA-BOOM!!! The escalator full of patrons collapsed to the ground is a puff of smoke and rubel. Many were injured in the great escalator collapse year, and I even think a few died. A very tragic day in the Baltimore sports world and one that I think about every time I step onto the express escalators at Camden Yards.

Perhaps someone a little older could chime in with the specifics (i don't know if it was an O's or Colts game). Did anyone get hurt at Candlestick park in 1991? when the earthquake shook the stadium dark?

As for protecting the closer seats, I think there has to be a little bit of common sense used...if the people can't handle it they shouldn't be sitting there, it is a choice after all. I know not everyone has common sense, but for the most part this vulnerability stems from "older" folks sitting there, however I think that most elders would cordially step aside without fear of embarrassment if they thought themselves in harms way...thats how they got to be a ripe old age anyway, via self preservation

wade

Banned

Question Re: Fan falls at Ranger game

Speaking of the Rangers...their old spring training camp in Port Charlotte had the potential for a worse disaster in the 1990s. There were a couple of retention ponds beyond the left and left-center field fences. These ponds occasionally had alligators near them and in them. The poor Rangers fan's situation was an accident...but the retention ponds found some of the Chicago Ballhawks repeatedly jumping into them to retrieve BP and game home runs. Amazingly, none of the Chi-Town crowd was ever attacked. Personally, I love baseballs, but I don't love 'em THAT much!

Dave Miedema

As I said, I am somewhat conflicted about what to do about hard hit foul balls and fans protection. Its not just "older" folks. Fans bring their kids too. And not every 20 or 30 year old, especially without a glove, or even with one, has the reflexes to catch a line shot hit by a major league player. Up until the 1920's I believe, there were no nets behind home plate and the seats were called "suicide" seats. Imagine today sitting behind home plate with no net when a batter fouls a 100 mile an hour fastball straight back. They decided to put up nets there to protect the fans 80 years ago. As hard as balls are hit in the stands now maybe they need nets down the line as well. You could still catch the pop fouls without the risk on injury you have now. Just a thought.

When you bring the younger fans, the kids, into the debate the next issue then becomes parenting...putting your kids in dangerous situations...responsibility, etcetera etcetera. I didn't want to go that route.

Like an emergency exit on a plane, patrons discretion. If its a solution that we need/want I would propose an age limit in certain seats (however with tickets selling online, scalpers, and the like it would be hard to inforce). I think as the ball parks currently stand it states to be cautious of balls and bats entering the stands during play.

People need to be responsible adults, parents, and fans. If they can't handle it then they shouldn't be there. Anybody in their right mind would remedy any situation in which they felt threatened or the potential for danger. Old or young...PEOPLE just need to be aware and make the decision that is best for them and their party.

All that said, I try to go to atleast one out of town game with my father a year. We try to get the best seat that we can. If we end up in seat in the infield box area or down the line I'M expected to protect him

Basketball fans have the danger of Shaq falling/jumping on them, baseball fans have the risk of BEING part of the game/entertainment, and football fans run the risk of getting beat up in the stands if you are rooting for the wrong team.

In the long run, attending a game is a choice. The seats you purchase is a choice. Games are entertainment which can be thrilling, rewarding and spine tingling (amongst other things). That's why we pay big bucks for better seats, opportunity and chance.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but at some point...individuals (if they are old enough) or people in general need to stand up and take charge and do the right thing, the wise thing...like people used to. Its not always someone elses fault. Never rule out the worst case scenario!

(I also think that ushers can use their own judgement regarding people that are in danger as well)

wade

Quote Originally Posted by WadeInBmore View Post
    People need to be responsible adults, parents, and fans. If they can't handle it then they shouldn't be there. Anybody in their right mind would remedy any situation in which they felt threatened or the potential for danger. Old or young...PEOPLE just need to be aware and make the decision that is best for them and their party.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but at some point...individuals (if they are old enough) or people in general need to stand up and take charge and do the right thing, the wise thing...like people used to. Its not always someone elses fault. Never rule out the worst case scenario!

wade
    Exactly, very well said. Does the Nanny State mentality need to include telling people which seats they can and cannot sit in? Do we need nets extending down the first and third baselines? No matter how hard you try (and how much freedom you take from people in the process) you cannot remove risk from life.

All in the hopes to get a $10 baseball.I guess life is worht the risk of that.And not just the person who fell.As they made the decision to go after the ball.But to me the real innocent people in this.The people the person landed on.Can you inmagine if that was your loved one this person landed on from 30 feet like that.I know i would pissed at the person.But i am sure everyone but me feels sorry for the person who fell.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    All in the hopes to get a $10 baseball.I guess life is worht the risk of that.And not just the person who fell.As they made the decision to go after the ball.But to me the real innocent people in this.The people the person landed on.Can you inmagine if that was your loved one this person landed on from 30 feet like that.I know i would pissed at the person.But i am sure everyone but me feels sorry for the person who fell.
    I'm honestly surprised more people don't fall. Some places I've been have the rails just a few inches above my knees (in this case they are 30.25 inches). If you lose your balance at all, that little railing isn't going to do too much, unless it's a child or somebody who's short. And it's not like the guy was drunk and jumping out to get the ball, from what I've read he wasn't drinking at all, the ball landed a few rows behind him, and he was around to watch it. Then the ball bounced back towards him and just as a reaction he grabbed for it and lost his balance and fell backwards. It's very easy to see how it could happen (at least to me).

So blame it on the railing and not the guy.Its the railing's fault and not the guy's fault.And that maybe if the guy knew of his surroundings better it would not have happen to him.So they sound put barricades in the upper deck to prevent this.Or better,they should put nets around the whole upper deck of the field.Its like hockey,one person isnt paying attention to the game and cant duck out of the way of a puck and now we have those stubid nets.Pay attention to the game you dont get hit by a puck.Don't go diving for a baseball you dont fall onto innocent people trying to watch a game and now they have some guy on them.And it might be easy to see that happening.But i know it would not happen to me.If i want a baseball i will just buy one.I think those people that go diving for baseballs are idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by slambam View Post
    I'm honestly surprised more people don't fall. Some places I've been have the rails just a few inches above my knees (in this case they are 30.25 inches). If you lose your balance at all, that little railing isn't going to do too much, unless it's a child or somebody who's short. And it's not like the guy was drunk and jumping out to get the ball, from what I've read he wasn't drinking at all, the ball landed a few rows behind him, and he was around to watch it. Then the ball bounced back towards him and just as a reaction he grabbed for it and lost his balance and fell backwards. It's very easy to see how it could happen (at least to me).

Ha, you're comical. God forbid anything like this would ever happen to you or somebody you care about. It's an accident. Have you heard any talk about adding higher railing or more nets? I didn't think so. I'm not saying it's not the guys fault, but it's not his stupidity that caused it. It's easy to see how it could happen, you lose your balance or slip and you don't have anything to grab on to. I guess you're too perfect though, so nothing like that would ever happen to you.