Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dallas Cowboys Double Star Jersey Help

Guys,

First thing out of my mouth (or keyboard)... I am NOT questioning the authenticity of this jersey. I know the seller is a member of the board. I'm just looking for some info...

I bought this Darrin Smith double star Cowboys jersey as was curious about the tagging.

Name:  Cowboys 001.jpg
Views: 5466
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  Cowboys 002.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  Cowboys 003.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  59.2 KB

The jersey is tagged 1994 but, from my limited research, the particular style was worn in 1995 (in games at Washington & Philadelphia). So, is it just tagged incorrectly? Does anyone else own one of these and is it tagged the same?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Kyle

Banned

Exclamation Re: Dallas Cowboys Double Star Jersey Help

The 1994 Apex tags are fine. The team started out with Apex in 1995, but something went down with Apex, and the deal with the team was over. Most Apex jerseys issued and worn in 1995 had all the tags except the year tag removed.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Re: Dallas Cowboys Double Star Jersey Help

I believe Apex went out of business right before the 1995 season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    I believe Apex went out of business right before the 1995 season.
    I think that's right, fellow patriot!

Dave Miedema

Thanks guys. Like I said, I wasn't concerned because I wanted that jersey anyway but I wanted to know the story behind the tagging just in case.

Thanks again!

I believe these shirts were also worn in 1994. If you look closely, many of these jerseys show evidence of the 75th anniv. patch being removed. I bought a common player off the Cowboys website years ago and it is pretty easy to see where the patch was removed.

Vince

When I researched, I went to a couple of places: Getty Images and Wikipedia. I didn't find any Getty Images from 1994 with the Cowboys wearing the jerseys.

This is what I pulled from Wikipedia:

In 1994, the NFL celebrated their 75th Anniversary, and the Dallas Cowboys celebrated their back-to-back Super Bowl titles by unveiling a white "Double-Star" jersey on Thanksgiving Day. This jersey was used for special occasions and was worn throughout the 1994–1995 playoffs. During the same season, the Cowboys also wore their 1960–63 road jersey with a silver helmet for one game as part of a league-wide "throwback" policy.

During the 1995 season, the team wore the navy "Double-Star" jersey for games at Washington and Philadelphia and permanently switched to solid color socks (royal blue for the white uniform, and navy blue for the dark uniform). The navy "Double-Star" jersey was not seen again until the NFL's Classic Throwback Weekend on Thanksgiving Day 2001–2003.

If I remember correctly, I believe the Cowboys got into a little trouble with the league in 1994 because they wore 4 different styles of jerseys in 1 year during a time when teams were only allowed to wear 3, home, road and throwback/alternate.

Vince

Vince,

Imagine that... King Jerry flipping the bird at the NFL...

That would be an interesting story if anyone else has any info on that!

Thanks again!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I think that's right, fellow patriot!

Dave Miedema