Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Whose your first half mvp?

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post

Ubaldo Jimenez. 2.20ERA, 3CG, 2SHO, 127IP, 87H, 46BB, 113SO
    Adam Wainwright. 2.11ERA, 4CG, 1SH0, 136.1IP, 102H, 35BB, 127SO
    Josh Johnson. 1.70ERA, 1CG, 0SHO, 122IP, 89H, 28BB, 123SO

Out of those three pitchers, Jimenez actually is the worst one to me. I like Johnson because of that 1.70 ERA.
    What are you smoking?

Jimenez 15-1
    Wainwright 13 -5
    Johnson 9-3

Jimenez and Johnson both have started 18 games, Wainwright 19. If Tracy hadn't pulled him Sunday when he DOMINATED the powerful Cardinals line-up (Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, etc) Jimenez would easily have his 4th CG. He left after 8 with ONLY 83 pitches thrown. Carpenter looked pedestrian at best after 6 innings with 113 thrown.

In his 1 loss, Ubaldo went 7 and gave up 1 run. The Rox offense let him down in that one.

In his 1st No-Decision he did give up 6 runs but SO 7 in 5.2 ip. (Boston game where Giambi lit up Papelbon for a upper deck HR)

In his 2nd No-Decision he gave up 7 runs but still had the lead when he left and the Bullpen (Manuel Corpas to be exact) blew the save and the Win or Baldo would be at 16-1.

And in his 2 no decisions, Jimenez should have had at least 1 more win, but the bullpen blew the lead.

If the Rockies bats weren't sleeping in his 1 loss, he could be at 17 - 1.

I didn't expect anyone (including Ubaldo) to break Gibson's ERA record and I'm pretty certain Johnson won't do it either.

Onw word describes what Ubaldo has been this year - DOMINATING. And when you talk about what other players have done for their teams, he has rejuvenated this team when he comes to the mound after their other starters or bullpen may have faltered. Not a factor you can discount.

I could care less how many walks Ubi gives or what his final ERA is at - his WINS is what moves the Rockies forward. The low ERA and low BBs doesn't do crap for the TEAM.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    They are all almost .500 against each other. That tells me no one is feasting on weak opposition.)
    Gingi -

While the Beast of the East are near .500 against each other this year, with 2 games left before the AS break, the Best of the West has two teams within 2 games of 1st place and could go into the break with 3 tied for 1st.

Should be an interesting 2nd half.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    In his 1st No-Decision he did give up 6 runs but SO 7 in 5.2 ip. (Boston game where Giambi lit up Papelbon for a upper deck HR)
    I forgot to mention - he was almost scratched for this game but pitched it while battling the Flu. If he had sat it out his ERA would be well below 2.0 as well. Just an FYI

- Chris

What are you smoking?

Jimenez 15-1
    Wainwright 13 -5
    Johnson 9-3

Jimenez and Johnson both have started 18 games, Wainwright 19. If Tracy hadn't pulled him Sunday when he DOMINATED the powerful Cardinals line-up (Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, etc) Jimenez would easily have his 4th CG. He left after 8 with ONLY 83 pitches thrown. Carpenter looked pedestrian at best after 6 innings with 113 thrown.

In his 1 loss, Ubaldo went 7 and gave up 1 run. The Rox offense let him down in that one.

In his 2nd No-Decision he gave up 7 runs but still had the lead when he left and the Bullpen (Manuel Corpas to be exact) blew the save and the Win or Baldo would be at 16-1.

And in his 2 no decisions, Jimenez should have had at least 1 more win, but the bullpen blew the lead.

If the Rockies bats weren't sleeping in his 1 loss, he could be at 17 - 1.

I didn't expect anyone (including Ubaldo) to break Gibson's ERA record and I'm pretty certain Johnson won't do it either.

Onw word describes what Ubaldo has been this year - DOMINATING. And when you talk about what other players have done for their teams, he has rejuvenated this team when he comes to the mound after their other starters or bullpen may have faltered. Not a factor you can discount.

I could care less how many walks Ubi gives or what his final ERA is at - his WINS is what moves the Rockies forward. The low ERA and low BBs doesn't do crap for the TEAM.

- Chris
    First of all, stay away from the person attacks (the what are you smoking comment) and have an adult conversation. I never said Ubaldo wasn't dominating. Just less dominating that than the others. As you should know, a pitcher doesn't control his wins. ERA is the most important stat for a pitcher.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your no decision argument? He should have gotten losses in those, but got bailed out by his offense. I think I heard he gave up like 17 runs in 17 innings or something like that.

Which pitcher is better?

Pitcher A: 20-0 4.50 ERA 300 innings pitched
    or
    Pitcher B: 0-20 1.00 ERA 300 innings pitched

Pitcher B

It's pretty much the same concept between Ubaldo and Josh.

Ubaldo has more wins, but Josh has a better ERA. Who dominated more? The better ERA. (which is also why I will take Wainwright over Ubaldo. Not to mention we know Adam is his best under high pressure. ex. 2006 playoffs, 2009 playoffs and end of season)

And about your Chris Carpenter pedestrian comment, he hasn't been exactly right since taking a line drive off his right arm just two starts ago.

As much as you like Ubaldo, he isn't the most dominating pitcher in the game.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

I forgot to mention - he was almost scratched for this game but pitched it while battling the Flu. If he had sat it out his ERA would be well below 2.0 as well. Just an FYI

- Chris
    I doubt he is the only pitcher to get the flu this season. I'm sure that the other top pitchers have had some days like that as well. You don't know if his ERA would be below 2.00.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera(Nearly is leading every triple crown category)

NL MVP and Cy Young: Ubaldo

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    If Ubaldo or Votto win it, no one would be surprised.
    Really? I would be stunned to see a pitcher win the MVP. The last time it happened was nearly 20 years ago, and it's been over 40 years since it last happened in the NL.

I think the nature of the game has changed such that the MVP is now viewed as a de facto hitters award. The sports writers might conceivably award it to a pitcher as a symbolic gesture e.g. pronouncing the end of the 'steroids era'. But the last thing the game needs, IMO, are sports writers making symbolic gestures.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

Miggy Miggy Miggy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple Crown here we come.

Banned

I can't see how people put Hamilton above Miguel. Guerrero has stats that are very, very close to Hamilton's in the same lineup in a hitter's park. While Miguel has noone near the quality of Guerrero or Michael Young in his lineup and he plays in an extreme pitcher's park.Both are on first place teams and Miggy has a much higher OBP and 10 more RBIs.

Miguel Cabrera is my Vote.He is A Monster And put his Troubles behind him.