Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

He had a four year stretch where he was good but beyond that his numbers arent anything to be excited about.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Re: Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

At least Mattingly played outstanding defense.

My vote goes to Roger Maris. Yes, he hit 61 home runs one year, but his next-best home run total was 39, then 33. Those were the only 3 seasons he hit 30 or more homers. And, take it with a grain of salt, Jim Bouton in Ball Four says Roger was one of the all-time slackers.

It drives me nuts when I hear about the Yankee tandem of Mantle and Maris... Other than a couple years, it was all Mantle.

Banned

Maris won two MVPS and was probably the only man to hit 61 homers without PDAs. The chase in many ways ruined his career and probably also shortened his life. He faced such tremendous and constant stress and pressure. He is not in the Hall and noone ever puts him on the list of even top 15-20 yankees. So I don't really think one could say he is overated.

Same for Mattingly he was one of the best players in the game for several years but he got hurt at his peak he was a batting champ, gold glover and mvp. Again noone says he is even a top ten yankee and he has not sniffed the Hall. So I don't see him as ovverated.

From a collectibles perspective both players are probably overvalued though.

One Yankee who belongs on any overated list though is Joba Chamberlain and his collectibles are overvalued.

I don't think Mattingly is over rated I think most people regard him as very good All Star ballplayer, but not a Hall of Famer. If the hadn't been hurt his numbers might put him in a higher category, but he was excellent while he was healthy.

mattingly was a damn good ball player, had he not got hurt he would be in cooperstown, no doubt....

I started collecting cards in 1987 and just missed Don's huge years. Watching Mac, Canseco, etc I never really understood why that damn 1984 Donruss Mattingly was so expensive. Looking back now at his stats it is clear what the expectations were even into the very early 1990's. Folks felt he is going to to do 1985 or 1986 over again and move towards the Hall. It just never happened and I don't think Yankee fans can let it go nor should they.

Don WAS Yankee baseball at a time when there were no championships. He was gritty and played the game the way it should be played. For years I felt he was way overrated but now that I have lived through a full generation of my teams stars I understand his appeal. He transcends his numbers simply because whether you were 8 or 58 Mattingly was the common thread that represented NY baseball and how baseball should be played in general for an entire decade.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Don Mattingly isn't overrated at all. He could have been much better without his back injury (herninated disk). He played through his pain, and his dedication to the game is well respected.

In m book, he's a Hall of Famer!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

if we put him in the hall i guess we should put will clark in too.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Definitely not one of the most overrated players.

If it weren't for that fact he played for the Yankees, the HOF would not even be mentioned.

Extremely overrated = Joba Chamberlain.
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

i wonder what happened to joba? Did the yankees change pitching coaches? He used to be able to hit a 100 on the radar.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington