Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

A healthy back and a few more years of regular play would have cinched Mattingly's induction. He reminds me of a guy from my youth...Tony Oliva. Oliva hit every bit as well as Twins teammate Rod Carew, and with a few more longballs. Healthy knees, and Oliva would have been in, without question.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
      • Sep 2009

I would classify Bo Jackson as being over rated or i guess over valued when you look at performance compared to prices. He had unbelievable potential and skills but stats wise never put it together...he finished with a .250 batting average, 142 hrs and a ton of k's to go along with a poor obp.

Mattingly, put together a nice career and was a heck of a player especially defensively. There are a few members on the forum I have seen argue that he should be in even with the injury-shortened career stats, I can't see that argument but it usually involves "well if this guy is in then".....

Mattingly is well respected in the baseball community even without staggering numbers...he is loved and from all accounts a great guy who is great to his fans...that really helps his appeal and over time I think that gets taken into account and factored into how good he was on the field...

The exact opposite can be seen with Albert Belle......this guy still has incredible numbers that are matched by few in baseball history over the span of time he did it in. You can really make a case for Albert even with his short career. He was hated by most the wrote about him and had some anger issues he took out on others, you can pick his game used bats up for 65 bucks and his numbers are much better than a guy like mattingly.... He could have gone down as one of the greats of all time had his career not been cut short. I think he averaged 40 hrs and 130 rbis over his career while batting right around .300. He had one year with 50 doubles and 50hrs, still the only guy to do it.... even playing injured with one leg he still was very effective.

Comment

• gingi79
        • Aug 2007

Growing up on Long Island in the 80's. there were 2 kinds of fans. Mets fans who thought Darrrryyyyyl Strawberry was going to be a first ballot HOFer and Yankee fans who though Donnie Baseball was going to be a first ballot HOFer. Of course as a Braves fan, I was convinced that Dale Murphy was a first ballot HOFer.

The 80's were full of guys who never fulfilled their potential. A short list of guys who were considered HOFers in their prime but won't make it:

Don Mattingly
        Dwight Gooden
        Daryl Strawberry
        Bo Jackson
        Dale Murphy
        Julio Franco
        Keith Hernandez
        Fred McGriff

I am sure I am missing a few others but Don wasn't overrated, he was simply the best player on a lot of bad Yankee teams and had health issues that derailed what seemed to be a HOF career at one time. I agree if he was a KC Royal or played in a small market team, he'd be remembered as another John Kruk
        Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• JimCaravello
          • Jan 1970

From 1984 - 1989, Don Mattingly was the best player in baseball - period. That's 6 years in which he won the MVP award in 1985 and should have won the award in 86 as well. During this six year period, he had 5 gold gloves, six all star appearances and 3 Silver Slugger awards.

He will never get into the HOF, but he is not overated - bad back hurt his career.

Hard to find many ballplayers that you can say for six straight years was the best in the game.........IMHO

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JimCaravello
            From 1984 - 1989, Don Mattingly was the best player in baseball - period. That's 6 years in which he won the MVP award in 1985 and should have won the award in 86 as well. During this six year period, he had 5 gold gloves, six all star appearances and 3 Silver Slugger awards.

He will never get into the HOF, but he is not overated - bad back hurt his career.

Hard to find many ballplayers that you can say for six straight years was the best in the game.........IMHO

Ok you know im gonna have an argument here Mr. Caravello lol

I can argue during that same time period Strawberry was the best
            From the same time period years you gave - 83 to 89
            Rookie of the Year
            6 X All Star
            World Series Champion
            88 Silver Slugger
            Voted in the top ten twice for MVP and in the 88 he actually should of won

Comment

• 33bird
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Yes. Good not great. Loved the way he approached the game. His game used stuff is WAY overpriced too.

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                • Aug 2007

I think he was pretty comparable to will clark.
                Baseball do what it do
                -Ron Washington

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
                  I think he was pretty comparable to will clark.
                  Clark was never really domiant, Mattingly was he had 145 rbis one year. Though their final numbers are comparable.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2009

The best radio baseball beat reporter in Chicago, Bruce Levine of WMVP AM1000, has a place where the Mattinglys, Garveys, Mark Graces and others just a notch short of Cooperstown go. He calls it the Hall of Very Good.

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...