Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Advice needed on sending items before receiving payment

Hi guys. As many of you know I have been clearing out most of my personal collection to accumulate funds for mega purchases. To make a long story short I approached a major dealer about buying some of my stuff and we spent several days negotiating everything and today finally hammered it all out. I have purchased from this dealer in the past and have never heard anything negative. My issue is the dealer wants me to send several 1000s worth of items and after they received will pay me. Every other time I have sold something I have received payment upfront. In this case though due to the dollar amount I did not want to be paid via paypal and incur fees so I asked for payment to be mailed to me. Before I go sending these items I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the subject. Thanks.

Re: Advice needed on sending items before receiving payment

If they have a company or something like that i don't think that they would risk their reputation. But if it is just a guy who is a big dealer it may be a different story. Maybe others think differnelty but that is my 2 cents

no way legal, i go by "pay me then you get the items". I dont take chances with my money. You never get anything in this world without paying for it first

I would say possibly, depending on who it is. If they are really well-known, I can see it as being acceptable, because then it would be easy to find them and they wouldn't just vanish after receiving the items. I assume the situation is that neither side wants to get ripped off, and because you aren't using Paypal, he probably has less recourse if he doesn't get his items. If it were, me, and I felt comfortable, I may send some of the items, but a few thousand dollars worth seems like a bit much. Ultimately, it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

If you are dealing with a large dollar amount and feel there is a risk at all it may be in both parties best interest to find a meeting point that works for both of you for an in person exchange. If you are sending a lot of bats for the price of shipping them you could possibly put that money toward a plane ticket or gas money. Just a suggestion, good luck with your decision!

LEGALEAGLE-Last year i sold like half of my signed collection to a auction place.And they asked me to do the same thing.And i have never sent a item without being paid first.But they said that's how they do buisness.And i really needed the money so after working out the details and payment details (which i didnt like also) i went along with it.As beggers can't be choosie in my case.Well it was a nightmare for me getting paid for my collection.But in the end the buyer made right on it.I just had to wait a long time after they said i would get paid for it.I had never done any kind of buisness with the person before.And totally went on trust.So thats what you should do.Do you trust the person? Because if you do there should be question to do it.I hope it works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Hi guys. As many of you know I have been clearing out most of my personal collection to accumulate funds for mega purchases. To make a long story short I approached a major dealer about buying some of my stuff and we spent several days negotiating everything and today finally hammered it all out. I have purchased from this dealer in the past and have never heard anything negative. My issue is the dealer wants me to send several 1000s worth of items and after they received will pay me. Every other time I have sold something I have received payment upfront. In this case though due to the dollar amount I did not want to be paid via paypal and incur fees so I asked for payment to be mailed to me. Before I go sending these items I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the subject. Thanks.

If it's a big name like JT or BPH, I wouldn't worry. I have sold to both with a send first and pay later arrangement, both in the low 4 figure range. Also more then a few times in the hundreds, with out a problem for both. I think a lot of forum members will say the same. If you are really that worried ask about a COD arrangement, UPS and I think fedex offer this service, for a fee of course. Just my two cents.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post

DON'T DO IT - Here's a compromise - why not send the items in groups and/or batches of items? Use USPS and their COD program. After a batch is sent and paid for, send the next batch and so on and so on. One other point, prioritize your items. Send your least valuable items first and the most valuable items last. This way, they can'r "cherry-pick" your collection and then back out of the agreement.

Don't even think about sending anything to Canada or out of the Country.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

I agree with Scott. If it was John or Kim I would not hesitate. Depends on your comfort level with this big dealer you are working with.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.