Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Interesting find..Mark McGwire bat from 98'.

Here are links to the eBay listing and Hollywood Collectables page, with a photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com...e-p-20406.html

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

The idea of trading a brand new bat for a home run ball makes sense...back in 1971, Rich Buhrke, co-dean of the Waveland Avenue Ballhawks, was given a mint LS Ron Santo bat (signed) by Ron in exchange for his 300th home run.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Here are links to the eBay listing and Hollywood Collectables page, with a photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com...e-p-20406.html

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Thanks Rick,

Yep I would say there is a good chance this was obtained via a trade, it certainly makes sense.

Here is a photo of the knob of the bat. I have other photos but they seem to be file sizes that are too large to post. I'll try to reformat them to smaller sizes and get them posted. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry for such large photos. I'm trying to get the posting pictures part figured out. Here are a couple more photos.

Sorry...last photo!

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    It's plausible to think the signed bat was traded for the HR ball. Both of the home runs McGwire hit that night landed on the tarp in straightaway center field i.e. they were likely retreived by someone from the Marlins.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

if you saw highlights which i specifically remember, fans were running onto the tarp and falling through it in the scramble to get the ball. I remember the one fan getting to ball and then falling through the tarp. Those balls were retreived by fans.

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    if you saw highlights which i specifically remember, fans were running onto the tarp and falling through it in the scramble to get the ball. I remember the one fan getting to ball and then falling through the tarp. Those balls were retreived by fans.
    Yes I remember everyone running on the tarps as well. You can see the hr's on the video about the 98 race as well. The other option I could see with this bat is that it was a gift to someone, perhaps a friend that was attending the game and asked for a bat. I have seen similar items that were gifted by mac.

What a cool bat. I think it is a fair price given that the bat is a legit game model, the autograph and inscriptions are legit.... and I agree on the story, it definitely was a gift, much more personal then one of the signed in mass steiner bats. Great pick up, especially for the Mcgwire collector.

-Tony

Just wanted to thank everyone for your posts and information. This is a pretty cool piece. Due to some other things I'm working on I will be looking to move this bat. If anyone does have any interest in this bat let me know. I'd be looking to sell it however would be open sell / trade as well. Thanks again for all the comments and information. Email me at eknapp33@yahoo.com if you have any other help you can offer on the bat or are interested in it.