Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting find..Mark McGwire bat from 98'.

Hello everyone. I don't normally post much but thought some of you McGwire collectors would like to see this one. I recently bought a McGwire signed from a contact in Florida. The bat is very interesting for a couple reasons. First, it has a sweet auto on it that says, "HR #56, 9-1-08, All My Best, Mark McGwire STL 25". On the knob of the bat is model MAC25, batch code 769 and then 98. The bat is game issued and does not appear to show any use. In talking with Jeff Scott from Birdbats.com I confirmed McGwire hit 2 homeruns in Florida on 9-1-98 of which one of them was number 56. Here is another interesting part...the batch number 769 is the same batch number on the bat McGwire used to hit homeruns 56 through I think 62. So, it is my guess that the fan that caught homerun #56 traded the ball back to McGwire in exchange for this game issued bat. I just cannot see why he would have signed it with this inscription plus adding the fact that the batch number is the exact same as the bat he used to hit homeruns 56-62. Makes sense he pulled this out of his bat bag I'm Florida and traded it for the ball. Can anyone else help me make sense of the inscription? If my assumption is right and this bat came from the same run or batch used to break the record can anyone help me with figuring out what this bat is worth? I'll try to add photos later tonight. Special thanks to Jeff Scott for offering me some help on this one. My email address is eknapp33@yahoo.com thanks again for any help anyone can provide.

Re: Interesting find..Mark McGwire bat from 98'.

Sorry everyone...the inscription says 9-1-98....not 08'. My mistake.

I saw the bat you are talking about on ebay. There is no use to the bat. So to assume that mac prolly traded the signed bat for the actual ball makes sense. I feel bad for the fan that made that deal. If you go on getty images you will see images of mcgwire hitting HR's 56 and so forth. The bat he hit 56 with was heavily used. If you know mcgwire, during 98 he basically used a bat it cracked. So i would put my life on it and im sure jeff from bird bats would agree if he hit 56 with the bat and there was nothing wrong with it he would continue to use it. 2001 is a different case where he would change bats after HR's to give it away as a gift, But the bat your talking about is interesting. Def not game used but odd that it has the 56 HR inscription but it was not game used.

Thank for the post. Yeah like I mentioned the bat is not used but is still a very cool item given the auto with the inscription as well as the 769 batch code. Given the details of this bat and the fact that it more than likely was traded for the HR #56 ball anyone have any idea of its value?

sounds like an interesting bat. Could someone provide the auction link, I'd love to take a look at it! Thanks

Hi. I think the bat might be currently listed on ebay however the prior owner was not aware the bat had any markings on the knob at all. The prior owner thought it was just a signed bat with a cool inscription. If you look at the ebay listing there is no mention at all about the bat being game issued from 98 and from the same batch of bats MAC used to break the record. I can't seem to find the previous owners link. Sorry. I am considering moving this if anyone can help me determine the value. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by cubs93 View Post
    Hi. I think the bat might be currently listed on ebay however the prior owner was not aware the bat had any markings on the knob at all. The prior owner thought it was just a signed bat with a cool inscription. If you look at the ebay listing there is no mention at all about the bat being game issued from 98 and from the same batch of bats MAC used to break the record. I can't seem to find the previous owners link. Sorry. I am considering moving this if anyone can help me determine the value. Thanks again.
    I'm very confused...you think that the bat might currently be listed on ebay? I was under the impression it was listed on ebay and then you purchased it. If you are wondering value photos would really be helpful. Sounds like a nice bat I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cubs93 View Post
    Hello everyone. I don't normally post much but thought some of you McGwire collectors would like to see this one. I recently bought a McGwire signed from a contact in Florida.

How dont you know if an item you bought is on ebay or not?

Sorry for the confusion. I did not buy this bat off of ebay. I picked it up privately then after I had gotten it learned that the prior owner had it listed on ebay. I only saw his ebay listing once and it wasn't until I had already owned it for a couple days. I'll try to post photos tonight. Thanks

It's plausible to think the signed bat was traded for the HR ball. Both of the home runs McGwire hit that night landed on the tarp in straightaway center field i.e. they were likely retreived by someone from the Marlins.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com