Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey Flannel basketball auction

there's a couple of items that interest me on Grey Flannel's current basketball auction, since I never dealt with them before does anyone know if these jerseys were obtained through the Hall of Fame, team sources, consignments thought private collectors? thanks.

Banned

Re: Grey Flannel basketball auction

Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    there's a couple of items that interest me on Grey Flannel's current basketball auction, since I never dealt with them before does anyone know if these jerseys were obtained through the Hall of Fame, team sources, consignments thought private collectors? thanks.
    They get their jerseys via consignments. I know a few forum members have consigned jerseys to this auction. They are a good company but use caution and do your homework as you would with any auction house and you will be fine.

I find it very odd that all the same Dennis Johnson memorabilia is up in this auction again from their past April auction?? Huh?
    I bid on some of those same items and lost out and you can clearly see they all had winning bidders. Did everyone suddenly decide to just flip all his stuff thinking they make more money?

Hmm, I don't get it..

Banned

Hidden Reseves maybe?

thanks everyone, and is it easy to sign up/bid on their items or do I need prerequisites to be able to bid?

I've only participated in a couple of their HOF Auctions, but isn't this one much smaller than previous ones?

I find it very odd that all the same Dennis Johnson memorabilia is up in this auction again from their past April auction?? Huh?
    I bid on some of those same items and lost out and you can clearly see they all had winning bidders. Did everyone suddenly decide to just flip all his stuff thinking they make more money?
    This seems to be pretty common at more than one auction house. Items look like they've been won, then show up in a subsequent auction. I spoke to a collector who had many superstar items up at a major auction house. His exact words were, "If it doesn't get up to the price I want, I'm buying it back." I think that would fall into the category of Non-Traditional Hidden Reserve Format

Banned

The other possibility is the buyer (s) simply did not pay. All that jazz about it being a contract, etc. but you can't get blood from a stone. Alot of people bid high and don't pay it happens on Ebay and the league auction sites all the time.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

However, it looks like I made a mistake and the offered DJ lots in the HOF auction are not duplicates of the DJ lots back in Grey Flannel's April 2010 auction. Sorry!
    At first glance, there were two home whites ('88 in april & '84 in HOF) and the couple red/blue AS jerseys ('79 in april & '80/'81 in HOF) that look the same.

But when comparing the two auctions, this is not the case. Thanks and look forward to bidding on some of these lots and more in the HOF auction. Lots of good NBA stuff!

Auction house prerequisites are usually just well known people/companies who will vouch you paid your bills with them or whatever. There was one auction house that said you could use your eBay feedback rating. If you've won from other big auction houses or well known dealers, that would count.