Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about a Manny Ramirez Zett bat on eBay

Currently on ebay auctions is a Manny Ramirez Zett bat, in the description it states the bat is from the 2010 season.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2397wt_913

I believe I was offered that exact bat last year so it's from the 2009 season not 2010 and it had Manny's 99 written in black sharpie on the knob(see pic) with no sticker on the knob! It now mentions in the eBay description that there is a hand written 99 under the sticker, but why was the sticker applied when it already had Manny's number 99 penned perfectly on the knob and why only mention this now, as their was no mention of this when the bat was originally for sale on his website weeks ago?(see pic) look at the exposed black sharpie area, it appears to have been rubbed off (Why?) and the 99 sticker was repositioned.

The seller also has a 2010 Manny Ramirez LVS/Glomar bat that I was offered last year and the descriptions mentions a stickered 99 on the knob. That bat appears to be from the 2009 season, not 2010 and it had Manny's 99 written in silver sharpie on the knob. http://californiasportsinv.com/detai...1839&sportid=1

They appear to be two legit Manny bats from the 2009 season with 99 stickers applied to the knob, why?? I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about these bats.

Thanks, Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Re: Question about a Manny Ramirez Zett bat on eBay

Here's photos sent to me in late 2009 of the Manny Ramirez LVS/Glomar bat for sale on the website. Appears to be the same bat with a 99 penned in silver sharpie on the knob.

Thanks, Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Looks like you are correct Bobby, you can definitely see the part of the sharpie underline that the sticker doesn't cover up. Not to mention the fact that the gold signature and tar are the same. No doubt it's the same bat. Perhaps (I'm not sure if it's true) the seller think that a bat from this year or one with the sticker numbers is worth more than one with sharpie? I'm not sure I'd agree. The only other possibility is that maybe something happened to the sharpie marking since (it faded or something else happened to it that would make it less desirable) and they are trying to cover it up.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

To clarify, my post is in reference to the Zett bat.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

I have been wondering the same thing. I see absolutely no reason to doctor these bats as this same Zett model without name on the barrel was used pretty extensively by Manny during April 2009. However, I find it pretty disconcerting that all of CSI's bats have the 99 label when Manny seemed to not use those labels very frequently. I know that there is a pic on Presswire of the dugout showing all of Manny's bats with the 99 sticker, but if you look at pics from April 2009, you will see that all the Zett bats have a numbered knob with no sticker. If you were a buyer, wouldnt you rather see a written 99 on the knob rather than a sticker covering it up?

Also, how can you tell that the Glomar bat is from the 2009? It would make sense as I do not believe they were approved by MLB (although players have been using Glomar bats during 2010 with no cover-up on the brand), but I am not sure.

It states that these bats were purchased directly from the LA Dodgers. Do the Dodgers even sell directly to the public.

Hey Bobby - I've indirectly challenged Ron a couple times recently and didn't get much from his replies. I can tell you the Glomar bat I just picked up has the silver "skinny" 99 on the knob like the Glomar you show before the sticker was added. I actually learned through the grapevine a couple weeks ago from another collector about this issue. Your post here combined with the issues a couple years back with the similar odd looking ball marks on different players bats from CSI is plenty enough dirt to avoid these bats. I'm guessing you'd agree and simply want to educate fellow collectors. Thanks as always for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer35 View Post
    It states that these bats were purchased directly from the LA Dodgers. Do the Dodgers even sell directly to the public.
    Exactly. I asked if that would mean the bat would come with COA from the Dodgers or at least a receipt or something... and he replied they don't ever do that kind of thing. Interesting (and how convienent). I think we're all supposed to get a thrill from the new ball player he has his photo with every week on his website and assume all the stuff is real.

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    Hey Bobby - I've indirectly challenged Ron a couple times recently and didn't get much from his replies. I can tell you the Glomar bat I just picked up has the silver "skinny" 99 on the knob like the Glomar you show before the sticker was added. I actually learned through the grapevine a couple weeks ago from another collector about this issue. Your post here combined with the issues a couple years back with the similar odd looking ball marks on different players bats from CSI is plenty enough dirt to avoid these bats. I'm guessing you'd agree and simply want to educate fellow collectors. Thanks as always for posting.
    Michael,

Maybe Ron would get word of this thread and answer the questions we have on his Manny bats. I can only tell you what I know and that is the knobs on two of the bats had stickers applied after I passed on them. Other than that, they are legit Manny gamers. Not sure why anyone would take a perfectly legit bat with hand written 99's on the knob and add the stickered 99.

Thanks, Bobby

Could it be he thought a 2010 bat would be more valuable than a 2009 bat due to the 2009 PED suspension? I still cannot understand why someone would alter that Zett bat, which shows correct usage as Manny used them label down during April 2009, and ruin it by putting a sticker on it and call it a 2010 bat.

This is pretty funny, it makes absolutely no sense. Why add a sticker to a legit manny bat, where he WROTE his number? I dont get it.

-Tony