Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Wade Boggs bat..steal or dud?

I'm not a Boggs expert at all but the bat looked good and it was only 200.00 so I pulled the trigger. B349. cupped. What do you guys think? And what time period does it fall under? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Wade Boggs bat..steal or dud?

Greg-- 1986 to 1989.......34 inch and 34.5 inch B349 models are documented in H& B records...
    Mike

26 not in Boggs handwriting, but I dont think he always wrote his number on his bats.

Here is some valuable commentary and photos on Boggs' game use characteristics, couretsy of Andy Benish at VintageBats.com

http://www.vintagebats.com/featurepageWadeBoggs.htm

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

I've always stayed clear of the '86-89 Boggs LVS bats for the reason that I assumed these were big years for team promos/Anaconda Kaye bats to be made. Am I correct in thinking that, Mike?

I think the number on the knob looks passable, could be Boggs. That straight edged "2" doesn't seem to be the norm until later on.

That said, I would have passed on this one. If you get it, curious to see pics of the hitting area.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I've always stayed clear of the '86-89 Boggs LVS bats for the reason that I assumed these were big years for team promos/Anaconda Kaye bats to be made....
    Vince Malta's book shows Boggs ordering 652 bats from 1986-1989. Not counting post-season, there were 648 regular-season games during that period. So, Boggs was ordering a bat a game, and considering he didn't break that many, slapping those opposite-field singles and doubles, that seems like alot.

Also, B349 is listed as a pro stock model for him.

I didnt like the lack of tar near the center label.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Banned

Thanks guys. Think I'll have a much better idea when I have it in hand. Bat came from www.robbiesfirstbase.net Former Al Bumbry is part owner of it I guess. Bat came from a former coach. Is suppose to have significant pinetar and use. I'll post again when it arrives.

Here's some info on Boggs promo bats between 1986-1989:

1986; Promo bats to BB Miscellaneous / BB Promotions were R43, R161, C235C, and K55--- (Boggs also ordered some of these models for his personal professional use as well)

1987: Same as above, most promos were R161 ...note that the Red Sox had an order for 120 model C235C bats (with specified weight)
    which were likely for some promo giveaway or for distribution throughout the system (Boggs also ordered some of these models for his personal professional use as well)

1988: R43, C235, C235C, and K55 were models sent as promos, also some B349C bats as well...(Boggs also ordered some of these models for his personal professional use as well)

1989: pretty much same as above, except heavy orders of promo C235 and C235C to Anaconda-Kaye and Hamps coins & Stamps. (Boggs also ordered some of these models for his personal professional use as well)

Although not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, I personally would stick with 34.5 inch bats during this label period rather than 34 inch bats---- Although some promo bats were shipped at 34.5 inches, the majority were 34 inches, and although Boggs used some 34 inch gamers, the majority were 34.5 inches.

mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Banned

Thanks Mike. Always a big help.