Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Talking Re: Arod hits number 600

"An A-Bomb....from A-Rod!"

Dave Miedema

Re: Arod hits number 600

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Also...it was 3 years ago today that he clubbed #500!

Dave Miedema
    Interesting fact.

I think ARods odds are better that he hits #700 into the net over the centerfield wall than him hitting #700 on 8/4/2013. As you all know, #600 was retrieved by the security guard.

The Yankees were prepared to offer the lucky fan who caught the baseball a signed hat, baseball, jersey and bat from ARod and if that wasn't enough, they were prepared to offer a chance to go to lunch with ARod and girlfriend Cameron Diaz. Instead, the security guard retreives the ball, gives it to his supervisor, who gives it to ARod. What does the security guard get for his good deed -- a signed bat, a little less than if it was caught by a fan in the stands and far less than if he had kept it and put it up for auction.

So instead of having a college fund for his daughter, the security guard can tell his daughter that he caught ARod's 600 HR. Can a security guard get fired for not giving up the baseball?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

These numbers don't mean anything to most baseball fans. A-Roid could hit 900 home runs and I would yawn and change the channel. I grew up watching the steroid era. Most of my favorite players were using steroids but I'm still able to be honest about the situation. This isn't the old days when these records mattered. The mystique is gone. It's all tainted. It's over. There is no way to pretend that this isn't so. I don't hate Arod. To me, he is a fraud.

A lot of places use CSC and they have a solid reputation, so I would think that they would hold their employees to a high standard. I'm sure they met ahead of time and said this could happen, and such and laid out that they can't keep it, especially if the ball landed in a private area. If the security guy doesn't retrieve it, and only Yankee personel have access, the ball gets back to A-ROD that way.

Was a nice gesture though that the security guard did get a bat and all. I'd like to hope that was A-Rod's idea, but who knows?
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

My take is, if the voters decide to be selective and ignore the supposed users for the next 5-10-20 years, there will barely be anyone who gets in and the concept of the HOF is changed forever. Can anyone say with 100% certainty that a guy like Pujols has always been 100% clean? I know I cannot! And not to start a fight, but even a gamer like Jeter may have used once upon a time for all we know. He's played on teams with A-Rod, Clemens, Pettitte, Giambi, etc. I'm not accusing or suggesting... just opening up the conversation. Unless you are Albert Pujols or Derek Jeter you technically have no idea.

I just think it's unfortunate that some guys many of us loved for quite a long time (McGwire, Sosa, Bonds... even my guy Manny) are unfarily tainted because they were "caught" in a highly public fashion. As if they were assumed to be witches and brought to the town square to be burned or hanged. I can't help but think Pujols, Cabrera, etc are the ones hiding under the beds hoping not be found and dragged out as well (an odd late night scenario, I know). And then there's the argument that some of these guys didn't own up to their mistakes as we would have preferred. But they're not public speakers, they're baseball players from all over the world.

I'll be done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Interesting fact.

I think ARods odds are better that he hits #700 into the net over the centerfield wall than him hitting #700 on 8/4/2013. As you all know, #600 was retrieved by the security guard.

The Yankees were prepared to offer the lucky fan who caught the baseball a signed hat, baseball, jersey and bat from ARod and if that wasn't enough, they were prepared to offer a chance to go to lunch with ARod and girlfriend Cameron Diaz. Instead, the security guard retreives the ball, gives it to his supervisor, who gives it to ARod. What does the security guard get for his good deed -- a signed bat, a little less than if it was caught by a fan in the stands and far less than if he had kept it and put it up for auction.

So instead of having a college fund for his daughter, the security guard can tell his daughter that he caught ARod's 600 HR. Can a security guard get fired for not giving up the baseball?
    not only can he not keep it yanks could sue for it back and win. the ball was obtained in the course of his performing his job so its the yanks ball especially if it was hit into a private area where he would not have had access to but for his job.

sammy sosa bought the bullpen catcher a new cadillac for his 600th home run ball. Doubt arod has the class to do anything that nice, but i could be wrong.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    sammy sosa bought the bullpen catcher a new cadillac for his 600th home run ball. Doubt arod has the class to do anything that nice, but i could be wrong.
    arod is a better guy than he gets credit for. a few years ago in boston he rescued a kid from getting hit by a car and in process risked great bodily harm to himself.

Banned

Angry Re: Arod hits number 600

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    not only can he not keep it yanks could sue for it back and win. the ball was obtained in the course of his performing his job so its the yanks ball especially if it was hit into a private area where he would not have had access to but for his job.
    Gotta go with you on this one, legaleagle. When Hank Aaron hit what turned out to be his last career MLB home runt, the ball bounced out of the sparsely populated bleachers and back onto the field. The groundskeeper who retrieved it kept it, and didn't give it back to the Brewers (he wanted to give it to Aaron personally). In response, Brewers management fired him AND docked $5 from his final paycheck for the cost of the ball!

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I was reading an old post on intentional abandonment of the baseball once it goes into the stands. So if the baseball goes anywhere else, such as the bullpen or in this case Monument Park. If it goes into the bullpen, its not property of the catcher or pitcher who got the ball.

Just some hypothetical scenarios i was curious about. If anyone has an opinion, please share.

A) say the security guard retrieves the baseball in Monument Park and tosses the baseball into the stands, who would own the baseball?

B) say the baseball goes into the net in Monument Park but it is close enough for Kyle, who is in the stands, to use a contraption to scoop up the baseball before the Security can get to it, who would own the baseball?

C) say a fan tosses the baseball back onto the field where the right fielder retrieves it, who owns the baseball?

D) if a security guard catches it in the stands, who owns the baseball?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.