Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The National Show

I went to the preview last night for the National and it was largely as expected. It feels a little bigger this year because of the layout of the show but I think there are actually fewer booths than last year in Cleveland.

As far as game used- the usual suspects with JO Sports, Game Worn Uniforms, JT Sports, Steiner and a few others. There were a few regional dealers (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Baltimore, etc) that had some GU items from their local teams but overall there was not much in the way of GU which is fairly typical for a National. I was surprised that Steiner's booth did not have much in the way of inventory, more of a "meet and greet" with a few of the reps. JO's booth had a couple racks of jerseys at fairly reasonable prices (mostly Redskins).

The auction houses were out in force (Grey Flannel, Legendary, Lelands, etc) again mostly working consignments and showing off items from the upcoming auctions. Lelands had several items for sale as well.

Some other interesting other booths worth visiting, in my opniion, Homeplate Heroes (great looking custom display cases) and Dorfman (figures, mannequins, helmet stands, etc) were both interesting booths. There was also a booth selling photographs from Sport Magazine among others that I was able to pick up a couple images for potential photomatches.

Overall a worthwhile show to attend. I will probably be heading back for another afternoon or two this weekend.

Re: The National Show

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    I went to the preview last night for the National and it was largely as expected. It feels a little bigger this year because of the layout of the show but I think there are actually fewer booths than last year in Cleveland.

As far as game used- the usual suspects with JO Sports, Game Worn Uniforms, JT Sports, Steiner and a few others. There were a few regional dealers (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, Baltimore, etc) that had some GU items from their local teams but overall there was not much in the way of GU which is fairly typical for a National. I was surprised that Steiner's booth did not have much in the way of inventory, more of a "meet and greet" with a few of the reps. JO's booth had a couple racks of jerseys at fairly reasonable prices (mostly Redskins).

The auction houses were out in force (Grey Flannel, Legendary, Lelands, etc) again mostly working consignments and showing off items from the upcoming auctions. Lelands had several items for sale as well.

Some other interesting other booths worth visiting, in my opniion, Homeplate Heroes (great looking custom display cases) and Dorfman (figures, mannequins, helmet stands, etc) were both interesting booths. There was also a booth selling photographs from Sport Magazine among others that I was able to pick up a couple images for potential photomatches.

Overall a worthwhile show to attend. I will probably be heading back for another afternoon or two this weekend.
    Greg,

Nice Report. Do you find the Homeplate Heroes's Display Case Coffee Table looks attractive in person? The craftsmanship of the piece looks nice on the photo online but seeing is believing.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Greg and Joel,

I actually picked up 2 of the 10 bat display cases from Home Plate Heroes. They are nicely made and they have pretty good prices. If there is not the 20% sale off the list price going on now, I can probably get that for anyone interested. I will post pictures of the cases later.

Ben

I actually picked up one of the nine-bat display cases yesterday. Ben, I hope you had a dolly or something to help you cart those things as they are pretty damn heavy. Due to my bad planning, I had to carry the bat case like four blocks, not fun! I still have to pick up a case for a GU glove with an 8x10.

Joel, the display tables are really awesome in person. If you are going to the show, they usually discount the diplay items that they bring with them pretty heavily so they do not have to pay to ship them back. Bernard is the owner and he is a good guy to deal with and they tend to discount if you ask for it. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    Joel, the display tables are really awesome in person. If you are going to the show, they usually discount the diplay items that they bring with them pretty heavily so they do not have to pay to ship them back. Bernard is the owner and he is a good guy to deal with and they tend to discount if you ask for it. Hope that helps.
    I was also impressed with Homeplate Heroes as well as John Taube's display.

John's display was Hall of Fame worthy with 3 huge glass display cabinets with shelves dedicated to ARod and Pujols and behind the bats were photos or artwork so you knew which shelves the players were on.

Other than those 2 the only other spot which was a nice surprise was in spot #502 which was Keith Vari who is on his own now (away from Lelands) and looks to be starting his own venture. Keith had some nice Washington Nationals items on display

I was lucky enough to run into George Richardson and Anthony Richardson who already had picked up some nice Ryan Howard game used bats.

I brought a lot of bats with me including my new pickup of a Stephen Strasburg bat that John Taube helped me with.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103...1CBFA569D72662

Dave Bushing gave me a nice offer on it but I told him I was going to hold off on selling it for now. Working on getting some Hi Res photos but I think I have the one in that Getty photo.

My one disappointment was the amount of fake Majestic knockoffs that were there. Easy to spot especially when the Majestic tagging was the wrong color. Showing Anthony Richardson one of the fake Prince Fielders which was good for a sad chuckle.

As far as fake game used, I didn't see any so I think the GU dealers wised up but for the autograph people, good luck as I am always scared of Michael Jordan sigs without UDA documentation. One dealer had a wall of Michael Jordan signed jerseys. One dealer had a bunch of Stephen Strasburg balls. I brought a real one with me and compared and didn't like what I saw. Definitely caveat emptor on the autographed items.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I was also impressed with Homeplate Heroes as well as John Taube's display.

John's display was Hall of Fame worthy with 3 huge glass display cabinets with shelves dedicated to ARod and Pujols and behind the bats were photos or artwork so you knew which shelves the players were on.

Other than those 2 the only other spot which was a nice surprise was in spot #502 which was Keith Vari who is on his own now (away from Lelands) and looks to be starting his own venture. Keith had some nice Washington Nationals items on display

I was lucky enough to run into George Richardson and Anthony Richardson who already had picked up some nice Ryan Howard game used bats.

I brought a lot of bats with me including my new pickup of a Stephen Strasburg bat that John Taube helped me with.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/103...1CBFA569D72662

Dave Bushing gave me a nice offer on it but I told him I was going to hold off on selling it for now. Working on getting some Hi Res photos but I think I have the one in that Getty photo.

My one disappointment was the amount of fake Majestic knockoffs that were there. Easy to spot especially when the Majestic tagging was the wrong color. Showing Anthony Richardson one of the fake Prince Fielders which was good for a sad chuckle.

As far as fake game used, I didn't see any so I think the GU dealers wised up but for the autograph people, good luck as I am always scared of Michael Jordan sigs without UDA documentation. One dealer had a wall of Michael Jordan signed jerseys. One dealer had a bunch of Stephen Strasburg balls. I brought a real one with me and compared and didn't like what I saw. Definitely caveat emptor on the autographed items.
    Andrew,

What's in the ARod display? I would love to see of a photo of it.

Also is there are indication that the Feds will be paying a visit this year like they did last year?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Andrew,

What's in the ARod display? I would love to see of a photo of it.

Also is there are indication that the Feds will be paying a visit this year like they did last year?
    John had about 8 to 10 game used ARod bats and some photos and a painting of ARod.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Is anybody reading this still going to the show this weekend? Would you be willing to grab items for me for a finders fee? I'm looking for the following game used items:

Eric Davis bats or jerseys
    Jorge Cantu bats or jerseys
    Josh Willingham bats or jerseys
    Jonny Gomes bats or jerseys

or stuff from these guys:
    Joey Votto
    Kevin Mitchell
    Brandon Phillips
    Jeff Keppinger
    Norris Hopper
    Chad Bradford
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    Is anybody reading this still going to the show this weekend? Would you be willing to grab items for me for a finders fee? I'm looking for the following game used items:

Eric Davis bats or jerseys
    Jorge Cantu bats or jerseys
    Josh Willingham bats or jerseys
    Jonny Gomes bats or jerseys

or stuff from these guys:
    Joey Votto
    Kevin Mitchell
    Brandon Phillips
    Jeff Keppinger
    Norris Hopper
    Chad Bradford
    I was there yesterday, and although I did not look, Mark Fugate had a ton of Reds gamers at his booth. I believe he owns Diamond Sports, and is a Reds expert.
    looking for Phillies GU bats

I was also at Taube's booth - world class! I may have met one or two of you guys w/o knowing.
    looking for Phillies GU bats