Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do in St. Louis?

Any ideas my wife and i are meeting the in-laws for a game in St. Louis. Is there anything there i need to do? Any under the radar restaraunts that are realy good?
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Re: What to do in St. Louis?

I've been to St Louis a few dozen times.

Not the most outstanding or unique food by any means, but Blueberry Hill is always a fun stop for a casual lunch. Thats Chuck Berry's restaurant on The Loop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Enjoy some of the worst drivers to ever get behind the wheel.

Bowling HOF and that arch thingy

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    HAAAAAA... So true.

I always like to say, my favorite thing to do in St Louis is survive. My second favorite thing to do in St Louis is either "drive past it or leave and drive back to Kansas City".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Check out Charlie Gitos or Blueberry Hill for food.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I probably should take offense to your comment , but as someone who has driven in many cities, I'm curious exactly where the good drivers are. Seems most drivers are dolts, regardless of the location. Maybe the lack of highway congestion here just exposes our bad drivers more than those places where it's bumper to bumper and people have less opportunity to display their "skills."

BTW, the Bowling HOF is no longer in the Loo. It moved to Dallas. Big loss, I know. The real tragedy is that the Cardinals HOF Museum was housed in the Bowling HOF building. The Cards' GREAT memorabilia is now packed away, awaiting a new location to be built on the site of the old stadium.

Food is food. St. Louis is known for its Italian restaurants on the Hill, though Charlie Gitto's downtown is good and you don't have to drive down I-44. Al Hrabosky, Ozzie Smith, Jim Edmonds and Mike Shannon all have downtown eateries, each more upscale than the next. The only thing I'd warn against is St. Louis-style pizza. The cheese (provel) tastes like dirty gym socks smell. If you want great pizza, go to Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I probably should take offense to your comment , but as someone who has driven in many cities, I'm curious exactly where the good drivers are. Seems most drivers are dolts, regardless of the location. Maybe the lack of highway congestion here just exposes our bad drivers more than those places where it's bumper to bumper and people have less opportunity to display their "skills."

BTW, the Bowling HOF is no longer in the Loo. It moved to Dallas. Big loss, I know. The real tragedy is that the Cardinals HOF Museum was housed in the Bowling HOF building. The Cards' GREAT memorabilia is now packed away, awaiting a new location to be built on the site of the old stadium.

Food is food. St. Louis is known for its Italian restaurants on the Hill, though Charlie Gitto's downtown is good and you don't have to drive down I-44. Al Hrabosky, Ozzie Smith, Jim Edmonds and Mike Shannon all have downtown eateries, each more upscale than the next. The only thing I'd warn against is St. Louis-style pizza. The cheese (provel) tastes like dirty gym socks smell. If you want great pizza, go to Pi.
    hasnt the Ozzie Smith eatery been closed down?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Apologies for the hijack.

Yeah there are bad drivers everywhere, but the STL area is special.

A few of my favorites:

- The merge lane that actually goes directly into the traffic lane, leaving sweet FA for transitioning. Couple this with the fact that STL drivers refuse to exceed 25 MPH on a ramp and you've got a recipe for fun.

- Right hand turning lanes. Who needs them? They'd only improve traffic flow. Not a reflection on the drivers, just the brain trust in charge.

- What? I can make a left on a solid green? Ok, but I won't pull out into the intersection. I'll wait behind the line and then when I think there might be enough time, I'll gun it, drive directly at the oncoming traffic for 50 feet then crank it to the left. This one is especially amusing in the winter, when the roads are slippery.

- If you get the chance, pack a lunch a find a roundabout. These are truly entertaining. I recently pulled up behind 5 cars waiting to enter from my direction, yet there were no lineups at the other 3. Numpties.

- I can solve Rubik's cube faster than the locals can figure out the order at a 4-way stop. And on more than one occasion, I've seen one car go, and the car directly behind follow.

- The wave game. Someone will simply stop and wave someone into traffic or across their lane. It's intended to be a courteous move, but no one takes into account the other lanes of traffic that may not realize Mr. NiceGuy has called an audible. Crash.

- And finally, the counting game. When the light turns green, start counting. If the first car in line actually starts moving before you hit 3, you may want to pick up some lottery tickets. I would say 4-5 is the local avg.

Enjoy!

Banned

Two observations:

1. Drivers in Las Vegas are worse. There they take people from every part of the world, dump them in the desert and you have to prey for your life every time you hit the road.

2. The Fried Ravioli at Big Daddy's at The Landings is pretty darn good.