Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1979 Lou Brock St. Louis cardinals Problem

Hi everyone, I saw this jersey on americanmemorabilia.com, just wondering isn't all the 1979 St. Louis gamer have Last name on the back?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: 1979 Lou Brock St. Louis cardinals Problem

heres a photo from 1979. you can see teammate George Hendrick's name on the back too.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Yes, it should have Brock's name on the back. The uniform is minor league issue, not a Brock uniform. I find that photo interesting because the Cardinals had numbers on their sleeves (not on the front) in 1979 and 1980. Is the photo from spring training?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Yes, it should have Brock's name on the back. The uniform is minor league issue, not a Brock uniform. I find that photo interesting because the Cardinals had numbers on their sleeves (not on the front) in 1979 and 1980. Is the photo from spring training?
    i found it here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-ST-LOUIS-CA...efaultDomain_0

so im taking by the description on the listing, but in fairness, it could be from 1978 too as Ted Simmons, George Hendrick and Lou Brock were teammates at the same time in both 1978 and 1979.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    i found it here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-ST-LOUIS-CA...efaultDomain_0

so im taking by the description on the listing, but in fairness, it could be from 1978 too as Ted Simmons, George Hendrick and Lou Brock were teammates at the same time in both 1978 and 1979.
    Hendrick wore #27 in '78; Jerry Morales wore #25 that entire season. So, this almost has to be from '79. If it's not from spring training, then I'm really confused.

Banned

Angry Re: 1979 Lou Brock St. Louis cardinals Problem

Sad to say, there have been dozens of times where either ignorant or unscrupulous sellers have tried to turn these minor league jerseys into "spring training" jerseys, or made some attempt to try and tie a $50 or $75 jersey to a major Cardinals star. I've seen it too, with Boyer, Simmons, and Reggie Smith, among others. The Cards have worn NOBs since 1963, covering the last several seasons of flannels and the entire doubleknit era.
    Many years ago, there was even a 1967-68 Cardinals minor league #9 flannel that some d-bag was selling as a "spring training" Roger Maris gamer.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Post Re: 1979 Lou Brock St. Louis cardinals Problem

Also...if I recall correctly, Brock used to have a straight-cut tail on his gamers, not the rounded cut like this one has.

Dave Miedema

Is brock size 40?

Here is the whole pic

I'm confused, the site had this item listed as the following:

The Old Timers game is a chance for the fans to see the old and new. Hall of famer Lou Brock wore this in a 1980's Old Timers Game. The jersey is double knit and exhibits minimal wear. The Cardinals logo is beautifully embroidered in chenille stitch. The "20" identifiers are two color sewn on tackle twill. The lower left tail contains the Wilson flag tag [size] "40", in addition "L.Brock" is written in ink inside of the back tail. Also offered are the pants which include button snaps and a drawstring including the Wilson tag [size] "30" and "Brock" written in the inner waistband.