Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Horse Racing - a new record

Zenyatta is now 18 for 18. Won at Del Mar today. Unbelievable.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Re: Horse Racing - a new record

I was there. Zenyatta is a once in a lifetime horse. I have never seen so many people (including myself) wait in the paddock area almost 3 races before the 9th race, just to get a close up glimpse of her. Here's a pic from where I was standing:

Name:  zenyatta.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  210.5 KB

Here's a youtube of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXuAD1RPlI

She never wins by alot but always wins...Great stretch run. Never really went to the whip either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    She never wins by alot but always wins...Great stretch run. Never really went to the whip either.
    I'm not a racing fan, but it seems to me that jockey used brilliant judgement in choosing his timing to make the move. Also it was nice that he didn't use the whip... seems like the jockey and horse were more a team rather than a man driving a horse.

Really cool race.

Here are some of the shots I took when she won #17 to break the record at Hollywood Park on 6/13/2010. It was awesome, I was the only one taking photos in at the final turn. The first photo is when Mike Smith directed Zenyatta to the outside, then it was afterburner time.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post

If she does race in Santa Anita on Oct 2nd, I will definitely be there. I am still hoping there will be a Rachel Alexandra vs Zenyatta race sometime soon.
    Rachel who? LOL

Zenyatta was clearly a better horse than RA last year. HOY for RA last year was a joke!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

If you go to the race, I wonder if you could ask someone at the stable if they could get you Zenyatta's game-used socks for $100 after the race. I'm sure they get thrown out. Photo-match them while you're there, and have a terrific game-used collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Rachel who? LOL

Zenyatta was clearly a better horse than RA last year. HOY for RA last year was a joke!
    I agree. They should have the race in Vegas, along with the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    If you go to the race, I wonder if you could ask someone at the stable if they could get you Zenyatta's game-used socks for $100 after the race. I'm sure they get thrown out. Photo-match them while you're there, and have a terrific game-used collectible.
    Actually, I think those "socks" are tape wrapped around both back legs and three blue stripes painted on the tape. So it might be kinda tough to photomatch.

BTW, $100 may not cut it for the "socks" either because a halter from Zenyatta last year went up for auction and brought in over $6000.

Congrats to Zenyatta. HOTY!!