X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weimerskirch
    • Jan 2006

Re: Red Flags!

Posters,

Going back a ways and I may be giving up my age....In 1975 McAuliffe Corp. made additional Reggie Jackson A's jerseys to be used as salesman samples and for retailers to display in their stores. Most of these jerseys were either green or gold, but some white jerseys were manufactured and not game used by Reggie. They are very difficult to identify as the tagging is identical. One tipoff is the light or no game use. Most die hard A's collectors in the 80's and 90's stayed away from the '75s for this reason. This information was given to me by Dick Dobbins who I bought a handful of A's jerseys from almost 20 years ago. Frank Fleizach who had one of the largest A's game used jerseys before he auctioned it off on Lelands also advised me of this issue.

I have been tracking the sale/auction of all A's jerseys over the last five years. In that time, nine Reggie knits were auctioned off. Five (5) from 1975 and four (4) from 1974. Of the '74s only one was all original. MEARS agreed with me that one was a fake, and two others were reduced by MEARS when I pointed out significant alterations. Of the 1975s I own one which is all-original, one was pulled from the last SCP auction immediately after I pointed out significant alterations. The other 3 from 1975 appear to be all original, but again quite a few jerseys in that time frame especially when 4 of the 5 from 1975 were green.

Mark

Comment

• kingjammy24
      • Nov 2005

2002-present texas rangers jerseys without the inventory tag. (typically a 5-digit number on white strip tag).

rudy.

Comment

• staindsox
        • Jun 2006

I just wanted to add a word on the Manny Ramirez jerseys from his charity. I know many of you have posted on these in the past. Yes they seem suspicious, but I believe the ones from his charity are real...I cannot speak for the ones from ASI, ESM, etc. I have handled many of these and there is a specific reason I am confident that they are real. Manny splashes on expensive perfume before every game. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I even found corroborating evidence: "Jinxed" by Ken Leiker mentions it. I have some jerseys that still carry a strong perfume scent three years later. I think he ordered a ton of them, but I'm convinced they were used.

Chris
        Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• gamer35
          • Nov 2005

I have also handled several of shirts from his charity and did smell the cologne on the shirts. However, that cologne did not smell like men's cologne.

The jerseys may have been worn, but I believe that they were doctored. I have nearly every Red Sox game from 2003 and 2004 archived and in going back and reviewing the games, it is evident that the dirt stains are not consistent with actual game wear. How do you explain dirt stains inside the jersey and on the year tagging? It is not as if he slid into second base with his shirt untucked.

How about the supposed game used Manny shirts from 2005 from Steiner? I saw a few of them and they show absolutely no use with crisp tags. Same goes for the 25 "game used" shirts that he unloaded to Sportsworld in Boston following the '05 season.

It amazes me that he pulls in $20MM a year and floods the market with all of this memorabilia. I am a big fan but you must due your due diligence when buying Manny stuff, even though him or his people.

Comment

• sportscentury
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by gamer35
            How about the supposed game used Manny shirts from 2005 from Steiner? I saw a few of them and they show absolutely no use with crisp tags.
            Patrick,

Since S.Carter cannot respond at this time, perhaps one of his colleagues at Steiner can comment on this. I hope Steiner has not resorted to American Memorabilia's avoidance strategy.

Sincerely,
            Snoop Doggy Dogg (aka, Reid)
            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• 34swtns
              • Apr 2006

Bears "gamers" made by Wilson from the late 80's and early 90's. The mail-order "authentics" that were available during this time period are identical to Bears team issued jerseys. Bottom line, if it doesn't show game use, you've probably got a "store bought" jersey. I just saw a Payton mail-order sell on ebay for over $800. It was listed as "game used worn". Another just like it went for the more appropriate price of $114 partially because the seller didn't list it as a gamer and because it wasn't even Walter's size. It was a size 38 and Walter wore a 42.

Comment

• GLOVEHUNTER
                • Nov 2005

You state that Wilson issued Authentic Bears Jerseys during the late eighties thru the early ninetys that are identical to Bears team issued Jerseys. How can you tell the difference? The one I own seems to have all of the proper tagging for a jersey issued during the late eighties. The only problem with it is I can't identifiy the players name on the back (Wynblade #45) I'm was thinking this could be a replacement player from 1987.but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by GLOVEHUNTER
                  but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
                  During this time period, the Bears jerseys had 2-color heat-pressed NOBs. If it is sewn, then it is most likely a "fan" jersey.

Comment

• GLOVEHUNTER
                    • Nov 2005

Would the name be heat pressed on a name plate or directly on the Jersey? mine has a name plate.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                      • Nov 2005

It should be heat-pressed to a nameplate. I have no knowledge of "scab" jerseys from '87. That deserves a little research.

Comment

• MikeSharon
                        • Aug 2006

Nolan Ryan Astros Jerseys with the Goodman tag in the neck, Goodman never put tags in the necks of Astros pull over jerseys they were always in the tail,I personally own 12 and have seen hundreads. They didnt start putting tags in the necks of his jerseys until Ryan was with the Rangers
                        Mike Sharon
                        george.sharon@cyfairvfd.org

Comment

• kingjammy24
                          • Nov 2005

russell athletic mlb "gamers" without a polyester flag tag. sure there are legit gamers out there lacking them, but it always makes me immediately look at the collar to see if a tag was cut out.

rudy.

Comment

• 34swtns
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by GLOVEHUNTER
                            You state that Wilson issued Authentic Bears Jerseys during the late eighties thru the early ninetys that are identical to Bears team issued Jerseys. How can you tell the difference? The one I own seems to have all of the proper tagging for a jersey issued during the late eighties. The only problem with it is I can't identifiy the players name on the back (Wynblade #45) I'm was thinking this could be a replacement player from 1987.but now it could be who ever ordered this jersey had Wilson sew their name on the back. Any additional information anyone can give about these jerseys that Wilson put out would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
                            According to the Bears All-Time Roster which includes the "scab" teams from '82 and '87 there was never anybody with that name on the team and that was, of course, Fencik's # from '76 to '87, and nobody had that number again until "Ironhead" Heyward in '93.

Comment

• Eric
                              • Jan 1970

Originally posted by Eric
                              Hey everyone-
                              I thought it might be a good idea to start a master list of game used items which are red flags. Doesn't mean these things are always fakes, it just means that there's reason to question. Please feel free to add to the list with info to back up your statements.
                              Share the knowledge!
                              Eric

Red Flags in the game used hobby
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Item:
                              1994 Brett Favre Packers throwback jersey

Reason:
                              Extra blank throwback jerseys were issued in various cuts and have trickled into the market as game used.

See gameusedforum.com archive
                              Tapatalk brings you to people who share your own passions and interests. Millions of members are online now, sharing their expert opinions with others who can truly appreciate them. Tapatalk is different from traditional social media--the people you meet will be as excited by your hobby as you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Here is what a letter looks like acknowledging that 36 Favre game cuts were produced and sold to grey flannel...

Click image for larger version

Name:	favregfc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	645696
                              Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• Bondsgloves
                                • Aug 2007

Every single 2001 Bonds Jersey signed and said to be game worn. There only has been one real 2001 game worn bonds Jersey on the market. That was listed by Mike Quick and Coveh. All the rest are Jerseys signed with HR numbers and have never seen any game action. The extra tagging is missing under russell. Hoskins said he cut them off before the were sold BS. I have examined many of these Jerseys and there is no way tagging was cut off. The market was flooded with so called Game Used 2001 Jerseys.

ebay item Item number: 130243091647

Sad collectors have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on these
                                Jerseys.

Comment

Working...