X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rangersfan1214
    Banned
    • Aug 2010

Josh Hamilton HOF chances?

Hamilton is tearing everyone up this season and on his way to the AL MVP probably but he's already 30 and only had 2 good career years and probably not be able to last much longer so that kind of dampens his HOF chances. What do you all think about his chances?
  • geoff
    • Nov 2005

Re: Josh Hamilton HOF chances?

Way to Early to Tell Yet.He is One Heck of A Player though.

Comment

• yankees506
      • Apr 2010

this thread only needs one reply and ill do the honors, his chances are slim and none and slim just got on the train to not-in-this-life-ville. so to your question, he has NO CHANCE

Comment

• Dach0sen0ne
        • Jul 2010

I'd say probably no, but he is having a great season.

Comment

• sportscrazy13
          • Nov 2007

Slim chance... I think he'll be remembered for a a few monster years.

I wouldn't give him the MVP yet. Him, AROD or Cabrera... who ever has the best finish down the stretch.
          Gary
          gashlockusmc@yahoo.com

Always looking for Atlanta Braves & St Louis Blues game used stuff, old and current stars

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
            • Aug 2007

If he hadnt of lost the 4-5 years id say he would probably be on pace. Injury prone year followed by a great year, followed by injury year, followed by a great year wont be enought to reach 3000 hits, 500 hrs. I think hes coming up on 30. He would have to average 35 hr's a year through his 30's to have a shot. The last guys who did that have all used steroids, or have been suspected of using so there is very little chance. All that coming from a Hamilton collector.
            Baseball do what it do
            -Ron Washington

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
              • Sep 2009

It doesn't look like his career will be long enough to hit the key milestone numbers, however this guy is so freakishly talented that you just never know. To me there is two ways to get in the hall, either you have the longetiviy to reach the big milestones like 3000 hits etc or you just flat out dominate year in and year out where there is no question your the best player in baseball. It's possible that he could rack up a few mvps and even do something crazy like a triple crown....if he dominates for an extended period there will be a shot for him. He has a huge following and an incredible story..no PED's and make no mistake about it the guy has hall of fame abilities, those factors at least give him a shot.

As far as the MVP talk goes, if anyone says he isn't the mvp at least up until this point I suggest watching the Rangers each night. His defense this year is what separates him from the other potential candidates. This guy is batting over .360 and is the best outfielder every night he takes the field. He will steal a base in key situations and take an extra base to get in scoring postition. This year he has put it all together, every aspect of the game....you could argue Cabrera possibly but to do that you would have to be talking hitting alone because he has not put together the overall game that Hamilton has.

Comment

• joelsabi
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32
                It doesn't look like his career will be long enough to hit the key milestone numbers, however this guy is so freakishly talented that you just never know. To me there is two ways to get in the hall, either you have the longetiviy to reach the big milestones like 3000 hits etc or you just flat out dominate year in and year out where there is no question your the best player in baseball. It's possible that he could rack up a few mvps and even do something crazy like a triple crown....if he dominates for an extended period there will be a shot for him. He has a huge following and an incredible story..no PED's and make no mistake about it the guy has hall of fame abilities, those factors at least give him a shot.

As far as the MVP talk goes, if anyone says he isn't the mvp at least up until this point I suggest watching the Rangers each night. His defense this year is what separates him from the other potential candidates. This guy is batting over .360 and is the best outfielder every night he takes the field. He will steal a base in key situations and take an extra base to get in scoring postition. This year he has put it all together, every aspect of the game....you could argue Cabrera possibly but to do that you would have to be talking hitting alone because he has not put together the overall game that Hamilton has.
                good point. he has not reached the 100 HR mark and almost 30. he would need to put in Sandy Koufax type dominance in his 30's to have a chance. Then at least he could get on the ballot.

I would vote for Cano for MVP. great defense and hitting this year from the second baseman.
                Regards,
                Joel S.
                joelsabi @ gmail.com
                Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                  • Aug 2007

If you want to see the best single game performance by a non pitcher from this year watch fridays game on mlbtv. Andre Dawson made the hall so there may be hope, but like stlhammer said he needs to put together about 6-8 mvp caliber seasons to be considered.
                  Baseball do what it do
                  -Ron Washington

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                    • Aug 2007

The only batting stat cano is in the top 5 in batting is avg, and hamilton has him by about 40 points. Hope hambone keeps it up, because daddy wants to go to a playoff game.
                    Originally posted by joelsabi
                    good point. he has not reached the 100 HR mark and almost 30. he would need to put in Sandy Koufax type dominance in his 30's to have a chance. Then at least he could get on the ballot.

I would vote for Cano for MVP. great defense and hitting this year from the second baseman.
                    Baseball do what it do
                    -Ron Washington

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

I'm not optimistic...Josh is a fantastic player but, with his late start as a MLB regular, I fear that he just won't have a long enough career to make it in via the writers ballot. Maybe he can pull a Ralph Kiner...incredible dominance for a decade or so that he might be considered by the Veterans Committee of the future, as long as it isn't comprised of the narrow-minded elitists that populate it currently.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2009

No chance. He has a few factors working against him.

1. He got a late start for reasons which were solely his fault so his final numbers will not be Hall worthy. A slugging outfielder who hits under 400 career homers is getting nowhere Hall wise. When you factor in the natural decline that age has on all players and his propensity for injuries 400 homers will be hard for him to reach, 350 might even be a streach.

2. He plays in a ballpark that is an offensive hotbed where players put up huge numbers year after year which the voters will take into account.

3. The domiance argument does not work. Pujols and Arod domianted this era. Can anyone really say that Josh is more domiant than Cabera, Ryan Howard or Joe Mauer or some others? Plus he has played four big league seasons. He has had one decent season, two great ones and one poor, injury riddled one. Not quite domiance of an era. Also is he as domiant as a Steve Garvey, Dale Murphy or Don mattingly were in their eras? Those were all MVP winning guys who had some monster years but whose overall numbers fell short of the Hall and who could not get in as domianators. Unlike a Kiner or a Jim Rice he has not domianted the league leaders categories year in and year out for a signifcant time period.

As far as this year I predict he wins MVP. Cano is the fourth best player in his own infield. Cabera has last year's incident still fresh in the writers minds on a team that wont make the playoffs. So I think with the division win and his numbers he wins going away.

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                          No chance. He has a few factors working against him.

1. He got a late start for reasons which were solely his fault so his final numbers will not be Hall worthy. A slugging outfielder who hits under 400 career homers is getting nowhere Hall wise. When you factor in the natural decline that age has on all players and his propensity for injuries 400 homers will be hard for him to reach, 350 might even be a streach.

2. He plays in a ballpark that is an offensive hotbed where players put up huge numbers year after year which the voters will take into account.

3. The domiance argument does not work. Pujols and Arod domianted this era. Can anyone really say that Josh is more domiant than Cabera, Ryan Howard or Joe Mauer or some others? Plus he has played four big league seasons. He has had one decent season, two great ones and one poor, injury riddled one. Not quite domiance of an era. Also is he as domiant as a Steve Garvey, Dale Murphy or Don mattingly were in their eras? Those were all MVP winning guys who had some monster years but whose overall numbers fell short of the Hall and who could not get in as domianators. Unlike a Kiner or a Jim Rice he has not domianted the league leaders categories year in and year out for a signifcant time period.

As far as this year I predict he wins MVP. Cano is the fourth best player in his own infield. Cabera has last year's incident still fresh in the writers minds on a team that wont make the playoffs. So I think with the division win and his numbers he wins going away.
                          I go with the simpleton writers approach which is best player on the best team should be the MVP. Yankees have the best record and Cano is their best player this year. Cano and Gardner carried the Yankees in June while Tex and ARod were ineffective. Cano is a secord half player so he should keep it up.

Cabrera is good. He carried my fantasy baseball team this year.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• suave1477
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

I think everyone missed the big picture here which Legal did touch the subject for a bit.

Even if Hamilton was to come close to sniffing the steps of the HALL.

He will not make it in.

People forget just because he didn't take PED'S. He was a drug addict and alcoholic. Which will plague any kind of desicion.

Next to that I will go with I believe it was the second or third posters response. Slim to none.

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                              I think everyone missed the big picture here which Legal did touch the subject for a bit.
                              I think we understood the big picture way before Legal spoke extensively. Read STLHAMMER32.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...