Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

This thread reminds me of when ricky henderson caught a foul ball. Not sure of the exact quote but heres a try. "Ricky never caught a foul ball before, so you aint gettin it kid", but he did sign a auto for the kid. I like to get auto's but i prefer going to paid signings. Ive gotten them at the park several times, but i always feel a little strange doing it while surrounded by kids. I think one of the reasons i particpate in the hobby is it brings me back to when i was a kid, and had no worries in the world. Not that i have any worries now, but things are difft. I remember the first auto i got like it was yesterday, not for the signature but for the feeling i felt while being that close to a big league ball player.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

We just deleted a few posts, and edited another, that were personal in nature. Please make sure you are familiar with all of the forum rules when posting. They can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hread.php?t=99

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Banned

Smile Re: Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

Thanks, Chris, for cleaning the mess up. Having to defend yourself when someone else is trying to rabble-rouse doesn't help the thread, and is contrary to the nature of the kinder, gentler Game Used Forum.

To Sparta Kid:

I'm not sure how Thome would know me other than by sigvht. I've never had an extended conversation with him, nor spent time with him.

To Otis Malibu.

I do sell some of what I get, but my activities are within very limited guidelines. I don't stalk hotels, restaurants or malls, I don't bring duffel bags overflowing with baseballs or photo albums with 9 cards of the same player on a page. What I let go of is bound for 1 of about 6 loyal friends/customers, or is sent off the the Baseball Almanac website for use on their player bio pages. I'm not looking to be a big-time autograph dealer...there are too many of those in Chicago already.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dave Miedema

I do sell some of what I get, but my activities are within very limited guidelines. I don't stalk hotels, restaurants or malls, I don't bring duffel bags overflowing with baseballs or photo albums with 9 cards of the same player on a page. What I let go of is bound for 1 of about 6 loyal friends/customers, or is sent off the the Baseball Almanac website for use on their player bio pages. I'm not looking to be a big-time autograph dealer...there are too many of those in Chicago already.
    Gotcha. Maybe they just think you're a big-time autograph dealer

I can't remember what I was watching...probably something on ESPN, but Brett Hull bluntly stated he hates people that get autos to sell on eBay. I'm sure many athletes share his sentiments, but have a hard time distinguishing between collector and dealer. Hard enough to tell the difference on this board.

I think that is why a lot of guys side panel balls now. I just wish my team had more paid signings.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

I'd be happy with a replacement ball and a photo opportunity with the player. If a game used bat came along, that would be great. The experience would be better than the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Here's my .02 worth because (as some of you may know) I WAS in this situation last year...

On September 8th I was sitting in the Lower LF Pavilon at Coors Field when Eric Young Jr hit his 1st MLB homerun. As soon as the ball left his bat, I saw it was either going down the BIG tunnel (field access) or the SMALL tunnel (seat access)... as I turned the corner at the small tunnel, the ball came over my head, hit the concrete above the doorway that goes into the underground concourse area and bounced right back to me.

When Steve Burke (Head of Guest Relations for the Rockies) approached me, I already knew what I was going to do. I know Steve, so I wasn't going to be a pain in the ass, and I've met both EY and EY Jr on many occasions and they are both very down to earth people.

I traded the ball for a simple quick Meet and Great and an Auto'd GU ball from the game. I did ask Jr for a bat or batting gloves if he sees fit in the future (and to this point I haven't gotten either), but I'm not going to be a jerk about it either. It is what it is.

To that point though, I have gotten lines on two items - THE jersey EY Jr was wearing when he hit the HR (Thanks Milledge!!!) and the Batting Helmet he was wearing. The Helmet (along with a few other pieces) will be done this weekend... the jersey I'm still working on.

That all being said, I think alot of the thoughts here are a bit off unless it is a historically significant HR. If you ask for too much, I believe most players will tell you to enjoy the ball. Jerseys are owned by the TEAM, not the player for the most part.

Dinner or a meal? Again, I think that's a stretch. A bat, I can see asking for - they are owned by the players for the most part.

But - and this has been discussed before in another thread - asking for a DIFFERENT players items (i.e. asking for Jeter items for an A-Rod HR?) is not only rude, but insulting to the player who hit the homer no matter who it is besides the fact of why should another player give up his stuff for a ball hit by someone else??? It's like the like the jackass that caught Chris Coughlan's 1st HR last year and wanted $10,000... then he wanted Season Tickets... then he wanted Hanley Rameriz gear... I think he finally settled for an AU GU bat from Coughlan. He was shredded publicly other places and HERE on this board for doing exactly what some of you are suggesting.

Finally, the Thome issue for Dave... I have the same deal here in Denver with Helton. Todd is very nice, and I have gotten lots signed by him over the years, but in the last 3 years, he ahs avoided me like the plague. Whenever I am not out back, he signs... when he has stopped out back and I'm there, he stops when I get close, etc... I got him earlier this year at Fan Fest because my buddy gave me tickets to it and the auto tickets were for Helton. Maybe he thinks I sell, I don't know. He still waves and says hello to me, but I can't get a sig to save my life - and this started at Spring Training 2008... I had a 2007 WS ball for him, Tulo and Holliday. I went straight to Hi-Corbett when I got off the plane. Within 10 minutes of getting there, Todd comes to the auto cue... signing, signing, signing - gets to me and says, 'I already got you' and skips me! What am I going to do? Argue with him and get thrown out or possibly never get another auto from him (which I haven't since anyway)? Tulo and Holliday both come out, sign and were great (but Matty has always been good to me - another story). So maybe Thome has seen you alot and decided he's signed more than his fair share for you Dave or has it been since day 1?

Again, my .02 and if I upset anyone with my comments, I'm sorry - but these are MY opinions and what I DID do in the situation.

All the best -

Chris
    Chris,

How was the meet and greet with EY Jr? Did he seem happy and appreciative that he got the ball back? Were you glad about your decision in the end.

On Helton, maybe that's the feeling that players have when they see a person on many occasion. "I already got you." Maybe that's what is happening with Dave on Thome too.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

If I got a ball that was significant to a player I can be easily had for a game worn jersey. In the case of an MLB team, they have a designated negotiator who will approach you and try to strike a deal. In that case I have no problem handing over a Repko or Valencia ball in exchange for a Mauer or Thome item if the team is willing to play the price since I'm not dealing with the player directly and have to be concerned with insulting him. Obtaining the ball is the negotiator's job and other memorabilia is a big part of the currency he has to work with.

It's all situational. If it's a player I was personally a big fan of, such as Cuddyer, I'd settle for less "gear" but ask for a chance to give it to him in person.

I've often wondered what I would do....this could happen w/ memorabilia at a signing too, someone may want something back....I think like anything in life, a lot would probably depend on how you were approached & if they seemed genuine. If this were the case, I'm sure I would make it happen & give it back....if I were approached rude & someone just expected it back...it may be a different story.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

I'm not really into autographs unless Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig and some other older HOF's just happen to magically come to life.

I do have a situation where I have a plan for an item in my collection. My situation is a little different because this is an item that I have invested $2k plus in.

I am a HUGE Louisville Cardinal fan and I am also a big Michael Bush fan. About 1 1/2 ago I purchased Bush's Oakland Raiders 2008 game used rookie away jersey. This is the jersey that he wore when he scored his 1st ever NFL touchdown as well the jersey that he wore for his final game of 2008 against Tampa when he ran 177 yards and scored 2 TD's.

My plan sometime down the road is to present this jersey to Michael as I am sure he would want to have this jersey as a keepsake from what I hope is a long and storied career in the NFL. I won't ask for anything in return but just a chance to give him something that probably means alot to him (will probably mean more as he gets older) is too much to pass up. I figure I will give it to him after I have had it my collection for awhile and he can enjoy it like I have.