Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

We all have seen the scrambles and disputes over coveted home runs between fans over high-dollar homers from the likes of Bonds, A-Rod, McGwire and Sosa.

That's not what I'm talking about here.

My curiousity is about less heralded but still desirable milestone home runs...such as the Cardinals' Steven Hill, who hit his first yesterday, or the 300th HRs hit in the last two seasons by Derrek Lee, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye. In a situation like this, where the ball isn't gonna make you independently wealthy, but it's desirable enough that the player wants it back, what would you do?

In my own case, I have no one answer. My response would depend on who hit it and wants it back.

If it were a Cubs or White Sox player, a rookie, or a player I really liked, I'd probably make it easy on him (inscribed and signed bat and ball).

For a player, I'm ambivalent about, I'd probably turn it up a notch and seek a GU or GI jersey.

For a major, high-earning superstar (Man-Ram, Chipper Jones), I'd try for a payment that would equal one year's rent for the apartment my family and I reside in. If that fails, I'd probably consider the GU/GI jersey as plan B.

If it were a player who cheated me or treated me poorly on a memorabilia request/swap (Jason Giambi, Tim Redding or Matt Stairs), or if it were a player who just treated me poorly as a collecting fan in general (in my case, A-Rod or Jim Thome), I'd be on the phone to either Steve Mears or Huggins & Scott before the guy finished rounding the bases).

How would you deal with a moment like that?

Dave Miedema
  • spartakid
    • Oct 2008

Re: Player wants HR ball you just caught: what would you do?

Dave, just for my own curiosity, what was your bad experience with Thome? I've always heard he was a pretty good guy.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• lakeerie92
      • Oct 2008

Great question. I would go big from the start. I wouldn't ask for money, but I would try to pick up several items. The worst they could say is no. I would try to pick up other players stuff probably. If I caught an Arod homer I would ask for a Jeter bat and jersey. It would also work to puttee other player on the spot to help out a teammate which would increase my odds of getting what I was asking
      Russell Wuerffel
      Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
      lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by spartakid
        Dave, just for my own curiosity, what was your bad experience with Thome? I've always heard he was a pretty good guy.
        I had the same thought about ARod. Care to share.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
          We all have seen the scrambles and disputes over coveted home runs between fans over high-dollar homers from the likes of Bonds, A-Rod, McGwire and Sosa.

My curiousity is about less heralded but still desirable milestone home runs...such as the Cardinals' Steven Hill, who hit his first yesterday, or the 300th HRs hit in the last two seasons by Derrek Lee, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye. In a situation like this, where the ball isn't gonna make you independently wealthy, but it's desirable enough that the player wants it back, what would you do?

In my own case, I have no one answer. My response would depend on who hit it and wants it back.

If it were a Cubs or White Sox player, a rookie, or a player I really liked, I'd probably make it easy on him (inscribed and signed bat and ball).

For a player, I'm ambivalent about, I'd probably turn it up a notch and seek a GU or GI jersey.

For a major, high-earning superstar (Man-Ram, Chipper Jones), I'd try for a payment that would equal one year's rent for the apartment my family and I reside in. If that fails, I'd probably consider the GU/GI jersey as plan B.

If it were a player who cheated me or treated me poorly on a memorabilia request/swap (Jason Giambi, Tim Redding or Matt Stairs), or if it were a player who just treated me poorly as a collecting fan in general (in my case, A-Rod or Jim Thome), I'd be on the phone to either Steve Mears or Huggins & Scott before the guy finished rounding the bases).

Dave Miedema

meet and greet with my family after the game if it's no one I would collect.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Both A-Rod and Thome treat me like a leper when I ask for an autograph. A-Rod has NEVER ONCE signed for me in his entire career. It isn't that he won't sign; it's that he'll always ignore me and sign for the curtain-climbers instead.

While Thome is, as stated, a good guy normally, he has gone out of his way to not sign for me for nearly a decade. At the ballpark, now that he's with the Twins, he will not sign anywhere near me (though he does generally sign at least a few). When he was with the White Sox, anytime he saw me next to the dugout, he'd decline to acknowledge the fans and duck inside after BP. Even at spring training in Tucson, he'd avoid me like the plague. If he was going down the line signing, he'd nearly always stop before he got to me. The one time he came close to me, a fan behind me distracted me for a few seconds...Thome used the distraction to move past my spot and resume signing after me, ignoring my requests without a word. Thome may be a good guy with teammates, writers and most fans, but he seems to equate me with dog droppings he accidentally stepped in.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• spartakid
              • Oct 2008

I'm confused, does he know you personally?
              Ricardo Montoya

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                • Aug 2007

Id probably keep it, i can buy game used stuff whenever i want, but ive never caught a homerun ball.
                Baseball do what it do
                -Ron Washington

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2009

Dave Miedema
                  You would call Steve Mears? He has not popped up on here lately (using those creative ids until they reban him) wonder if he is ok.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

My answer would be no matter the value that its his for a meal with him (his treat) and a game used and autographed jersey. This way I could spend a 1/2 hour chatting with a player and ask the questions I have always been curious about regarding big league baseball and the jersey would be a cool heirloom that would be special since unlike a jersey I bought it would be something specially given directly to me.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

I'm confused, does he know you personally?
                      No, not in the least.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• cliffjmp33
                        • Jun 2010

I saw this earlier and I did some thinking. I like a lot of different ideas from folks. Here is my though on what I would do.

1) If the homer is from a lesser younger player (say 50th/100th) or a very seasoned veteran and not HoFer, I'd probably offer to give him the ball in exchange for a signed jersey or bat and chance to meet the person to give it to him personally.

2) If the ball was from a possible HoFer, but not 500+ or a single-season record for that player, I'd likely offer it to the player. I'd ask for similar as before, but I'd like it to be game used from that day (I think having something specific from that game in return would be fair). Should it be a possible single-season.

3) If it were a mega milestone, 500, 600, 700, single-season MLB record, I'd fully be willing to offer it first to the player for money. My family's financial well being would be worth more than a player "respecting" or "thanking" me.

I'd want to talk to the person or his representative to say I'd be in touch after I got a few ideas how much it could make at auction. After figuring out what it could go for (generic say $100,000), I'd offer the ball to the player for somewhat less ($80,000) plus a possible signed item as in #2. If a player is hitting those milestones, they have made more money they know about and easily could afford it and additionally, most players have milestone kickers (AROD a million for 700 if I am correct) that would also pay for the ball.

Again this is all hypothetical as I have never even caught a foul ball or BP homer. Fun to dream though right?
                        Cheers,
                        Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
                        My Memorabilia Collection

Comment

• spartakid
                          • Oct 2008

No, not in the least.

Dave Miedema
                          So he just has seen you around a lot? You provided a lot of instances where he avoided you, so it doesn't seem coincidental. He must have some sort of reason if he's doing it on purpose.
                          Ricardo Montoya

Comment

• otismalibu
                            • Nov 2005

Dave,

Do you sell the items you get signed at the ballpark?
                            Greg
                            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• lambogreenjoeyb
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2010

I just went to a charity event in St. Louis last Friday, met hung out with Tony LaRussa, Adam Wainwright, Aaron Miles, and Jon Jay. All of the people there with backpacks on and 3 balls in there hand, and you could see Jon Jay getting pissed off, and I have hung out with him before and he is defintley NOT a negative person, so if he was getting mad, then there's something wrong with that situation.

Comment

Working...