Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game used 1988 Willie McGee Jersey? Hmmm...

eBay Item: 380259938980

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Willie-McGe...0#ht_796wt_940

Didn't the Cards have name plates on the back of their road grays in 1988?

The little "c" in McGee looks wrong too, spacing looks off.

I'm not sure, but did McGee wear a 42 or a 44 in 1988?
    He might have worn a 44, but the other points of that jersey seem way off.

Something smells fishy...
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Re: Game used 1988 Willie McGee Jersey? Hmmm...

The Cardinals started wearing name plates in 1989. That's the same year the NOB letters got taller. This style is correct for 1988. I saw this jersey on eBay yesterday, but haven't had the chance yet to evaluate it compared to exemplars, photos, etc.

It's possible this jersey is good. After some quick research, it seems the "C" in Willie's NOB rested on the baseline in 1987, but was raised to the top in 1988. Considering the team switched to name plates in 1989, 1988 would be the only season you'd see the high "C" and no name plate. You also wouldn't see the Rawlings word mark on the blue sleeve band prior to 1988. So, that all checks out. I did find one photo of McGee sliding in 1988 and the spacing of the letters, including the position of the "C", looks fairly consistent:

I would have suspected Willie of wearing a smaller jersey than 44, but Ozzie Smith and Curt Ford wore 40, and they were 5'10" and 150 lbs. Willie was 6'1" and 175, so a 44 isn't out of the question. I need to do some more research, but for now, everything is checking out for me.

Banned

I concur with Jeff...unless there's some negative element the photos don't show, it looks good to me.

Dave Miedema

I've confirmed McGee wore size 42 in 1987 and size 46 in 1997 and 1998. So, size 44 isn't out of the question for 1988.

if mcgee was a head first slider thats shirt wasnt used much

I was under the impression that the Cards used name plates starting in 1988, not 1989. I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I was under the impression that the Cards used name plates starting in 1988, not 1989. I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.
    you were also wrong about the font on the nameplate.... So when you decided to say this jersey seemed fishy, what were you basing that opinion on, just a random guess? Sorry to sound harsh but to call somehting way off without any research is irresponsible to the seller

Dave

The pic of him sliding seems to have a slightly different spacing of the "McGee" in relation to the number....vs the one offered for sale. Look at the M and the E in relation to the 51....see what I mean?

The shirt looks good to me. I have had well over 150 Cardinals jerseys over the past several years including 3 McGees.