Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Clemens to be indicted

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    Apparently Clemens brought this upon himself in several ways...

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/19/c...ndictment.html

This Newsweek article gives a brief overview of how the Congressional hearings came to be. Clemens actively sought the spotlight to defend his past.

Clemens wanted very badly to testify to Congress on as they say, "live, National TV". What kind of person wants to go on TV and deliberately lie to the United States Congress? Nobody put a gun to his head here. He did it to himself. He thought he was above the game. He thought he would get away with it.

At least McGwire eventually came (somewhat) clean on his past.

For all the talk of Pete Rose being baseball's biggest Gambler, Roger Clemens certainly deserves an honorable mention in that category. For it was Roger Clemens who took the enormous gamble to fight his steroid allegations by denying and lying. That is basically his defense: Deny, deny, lie, lie. Roger betted on the public swooping in to support him. It was a bad bet.

It appears that Roger Clemens is about to lose the bet he made with the public, and with Congress.

The whole mess is quite a shame, for many reasons. In 2004, I saw firsthand a really nice thing Clemens did with his Charity Foundation: he bought an apartment for a single father and his son who was having severe medical issues. It didn't make a huge splash in the Houston papers, but Clemens really did buy the man an apartment, and he showed up to surprise the father and son with the gift, who were, as you may imagine, overjoyed with happiness.

Even baseball cheaters do nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by bscott View Post
    Even baseball cheaters do nice things.
    Unlike the cheaters in Congress, who contribute nothing of value other than bringing down these Dangerous Enemies of the State.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Unlike the cheaters in Congress, who contribute nothing of value other than bringing down these Dangerous Enemies of the State.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Rick,
    Don't you understand? This guy LIED to the esteemed members of Congress!! Is there a worse crime than that?

I'm being sarcastic of course... Congress itself is one of the biggest collection of liars ever assebled.

Addressing only the HOF question, let's not lose sight of who votes those so honored in: the sports writers. Are those guys likely to look the other way, and pretend that they never heard the confessions, the accusations, the rumors, when the time comes to vote on Bonds, Clemens, ARod, et al? I tend to believe that, as a group, they will not look the other way, and not even BB will find a home in the Hall. What you and I think or want to happen, ultimately, will not mean squat.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Addressing only the HOF question, let's not lose sight of who votes those so honored in: the sports writers. Are those guys likely to look the other way, and pretend that they never heard the confessions, the accusations, the rumors, when the time comes to vote on Bonds, Clemens, ARod, et al? I tend to believe that, as a group, they will not look the other way, and not even BB will find a home in the Hall. What you and I think or want to happen, ultimately, will not mean squat.
    But aren't these the same sportswriters who looked the other way when McGwire went from beanpole to Mack truck? When Bonds' head grew a couple sizes? Where was all the handwringing over the "hallowed records of baseball's past" when Sosa and Mac were knocking down walls? When Clemens, showing the normal effects of age on his career, completely revived his career by "working harder"? (This from a man who worked out 20 hours a day already?)

I always wonder why BB writers get a free pass in this whole thing. They were there, in the locker rooms, and never said a word. Now, they bash anyone suspected and throw their morals around. Now they are voting (or not voting) for the same guys they raved about while they were active.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com