Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Clemens to be indicted

A news flash just said that Roger Clemens is about to be indicted by a grand jury for making false statements to Congress about his use of performance enhancing drugs

Banned

Re: Clemens to be indicted

I only have two words...."FREE BARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Banned

Roger Clemens charged with perjury in steroid case

29 minutes ago

{WASHINGTON (AP)—A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens for allegedly lying to Congress about using steroids.
    Clemens faces charges of obstruction of Congress, making false statements and perjury.
    Other Popular Sports Stories

The former Major League baseball pitcher and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, testified under oath at a 2008 hearing before a House committee and contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.
    McNamee has told federal agents, baseball investigator George Mitchell and the committee that he injected Clemens more than a dozen times with steroids and human growth hormone from 1998 to 2001.
    Clemens has maintained that McNamee was lying.
    Clemens’ attorney, Rusty Hardin, said by telephone from Houston that he had just learned of the indictment and would wait to decide whether to comment.
    The case was assigned to U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, the judge who presided over the perjury and obstruction trial of Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff, I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby. No date has been set for Clemens’ initial court appearance.
    In a defiant appearance before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee in 2008, Clemens said, “I’ve been accused of something I’m not guilty of … I have never taken steroids or HGH.”
    Longtime Clemens friend and pitching star Andy Pettite told congressional investigators that Clemens confided to him that he had used human growth hormone. Clemens said Pettite’s assertion wasn’t correct.
    “I believe Andy has misheard” the conversation, Clemens responded. He said he had simply mentioned to Pettite a TV show about three older men who used HGH to get back their quality of life.

Serves him right.

Clemens went out of his way to lie and wag his finger at Congress.

Hubris and an over-inflated ego did him in.

HOF chances for Roger: practically zero.

It doesn't take a brainiac to do the math: look at Mcnamee's testimony and Clemens' stats from 1998 when he went from a so-so aging pitcher in the first half of the season to an unhittable "rocket" the second half. The rocket was propelled by rocket juice. Oh boy.

Clemens will always have a seat at the poker table with Sosa, Palmeiro, etc., but that's about it. Put a fork in his legacy.

-bscott.

The can take their seat next to Arod and Manny.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Can someone explain this to me? Is using steroids illegal? If so, was Clemens ever formally charged and tried?

If not, why was he testifying in front of Congress?

Can Congress subpoena me to testify regarding how many cans of Dr. Pepper I drink in the average week, and then, if it turns out I wasn't truthful, can they indict me?

He's not being indicted for doing steroids. He's being charged with lying to Congress about it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...0,289897.story

-bscott

Banned

Good.

Banned

Congress has a lot of money to spend worry about Roger Clemens.

Isn't there something more important they should spend their time and money on? It costs a fortune to live in this "Free" country and then they pick on people with audits and stuff like this Roger Clemens situation.

Don't the people have any say here anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by bscott View Post
    He's not being indicted for doing steroids. He's being charged with lying to Congress about it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...0,289897.story

-bscott
    That's my point. So, where's the REAL crime? Lying about something while testifying about something that didn't involve a crime in the first place.....

Isn't this what the term "entrapment" refers to? They use the power of the government to drag him up there, they put him on the spot, where he's going to be humiliated publicly no matter what he says, and then they manufacture THAT into a crime.

Not liking Clemens or what he did doesn't mean it's okay for Congress to do this to him. Frankly, it's abuse of power. They could call any of us up there to testify regarding something embarrassing in our past, and we either publicly 'fess up, or we get indicted.

I'm not a Clemens fan but this government is starting to scare me.