Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Nolan Ryan Goodman Jerseys

Just a thought...all 3 pictures above are from spring training...

Banned

Great point-the Rangers did wear their game jerseys during spring training-see attached.

Can someone find a photo of Ryan wearing Rawlings during a regular season game, not spring?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

var g_JS_isWin = true;var g_JS_isIE = true;var g_UserLoggedIn = false;s.prop10="unregistered";s.eVar10="unregister ed";var g_DownloadStartPage = "/source/download/DownloadStart.aspx?ImageIDs=%1&sl=%2";var g_DownloadMaxImagesSelected = "Note: You may download a maximum of 30 images at a time, but have selected {1}.";var g_DownloadNoImagesSelected = "err_no_images_selected";var MAX_IMAGES = 30; // IE 5+ and DOM compatible if (document.all && window.print) { document.oncontextmenu = function() { if (event.srcElement.id.indexOf('ucDownloadLink_lnkDo wnload') >= 0) return false; } } Image #291339 Title:NOLAN RYAN RANGERSSubject:Sports, Baseball - American LeagueCaption:
    1 MAR 1992: TEXAS RANGERS PITCHER NOLAN RYAN WINDS UP TO PITCH DURING THE RANGERS SPRING TRAINING GAME. MANDATORY CREDIT: JONATHAN DANIEL/ALLSPORT USA Copyright:By/Title:Jonathan Daniel/StringerDate Created:1 Mar 1992 12:00 AMCity, State, Country:, , United StatesCredit:Getty ImagesCollection:Getty Images SportSource:Getty Images North AmericaDate Submitted:22 Mar 2002 12:00 AMFile Size/Pixels/DPI:466K/2047x3037/300Keywords:NOLAN RYAN RANGERSOrientation:HorizontalObject Name:NOLAN RYAN RANGERSRestrictions:Contact your local office for all commercial or promotional uses. Full editorial rights UK, US, Ireland, Australia, NZ, Canada (not Quebec). Restricted editorial rights for daily newspapers elsewhere, please call. Release Information:No release.Note: All editorial images subject to the following. See Editorial License Agreement.s.pageName="MS_GINS_details_Pop_aspx";s.server="GI NSWEB03";s.prop1="en-us";s.eVar1="en-us";s.charSet="utf-8";var s_code = s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);if(navigato r.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(une scape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-');

Two questions:

1) Do we know that the photos of Ryan wearing the Rawlings jerseys are from spring training? If so, how do we know this? Does it say "spring training" in the Getty captions for the listed photos?

2) Does anyone know why Ryan would wear Rawlings jerseys in spring training and refuse to wear them in regular season games? Did he have a contract with Goodman & Sons? Some other reason?

Thanks in advance for this information. A very interesting thread.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Where did The Rangers play their spring games back then?

It just struck me that Nolan Ryan has a long sleeve undershirt on in the photo Howard posted, and I do not know if this may mean something about dating the photo correctly as we know Getty does have errors. Often a photo like this will have a description such as "Nolan Ryan thrown a pitch in a Spring Training game."

Reid:

1) In R.C. Walker's third/last photo, the caption reads "PORT CHARLOTTE, FL - UNDATED: Pitcher Nolan Ryan #34 of the Texas Rangers pitches during spring training in the 1990s in Port Charlotte, Florida."
    The other 2 images don't specifically date or place the photo. However, if you look closely at the 2nd and 3rd images, don't the backgrounds look identical? I'm going by that large, black, tarp hanging in the background above the outfield wall. If you agree that the backgrounds are similar enough to be the same venue, and #3 is described specifically as a spring training game, then it would stand to reason that #2 is a spring training game as well. Additionally, I may be wrong but the background doesn't look like any Major League park that I remember. As for the first image, well I guess that one's anyone's guess.

2) As I offered earlier, it may be likely that Ryan's Goodman jerseys simply hadn't made it to Port Charlotte in time and so he used the Rawlings jersey he was issued. Not his preference but better than pitching topless.

Regarding the Ryan in the VA auction, is the manufacturer's tag consistent with it being from 1989?

Rudy.

Rudy,

Very good. Thanks for your observations.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Here is the photo from the book I referenced earlier. As I stated in my correction, it is a Rangers jersey, not an Astros jersey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Marcus,

Great photo. Do I dare ask if this is a photo of Ryan in action during a *regular season* game?

Thanks for posting the pic.

Reid

The book doesn't give any details. I was hoping someone would recognize the stadium. I thought it was neat to see a road Rawlings in addition to the previously posted home Rawlings on Ryan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.