Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Nolan Ryan Goodman Jerseys

Forum Readers-

I have seen quite a few Nolan Ryan Rangers jerseys in my many years with this hobby. It is my understanding that he only WORE Goodmans and Sons brand jerseys. He first used them with the Astros and carried this over to the Rangers.

As such, can a Rangers expert please comment on this Rawlings brand jersey currentlyup for auction:
    http://vintageauthentics.at.truition...aunbr=72020452

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Re: Nolan Ryan Goodman Jerseys

There is a zero per cent chance he wore this while playing in a game..he only wore Goodman and Sons....I have seen claims that the other jerseys (Rawlings etc) he would wear on games he didn't pitch, I personally doubt that.

To me both the Ryan and the Griffey jerseys would seem to be a Scoreboard signed jersey...does this make sence...kind of like all the Bo Jackson's????

Bill

Banned

Bill-
    Let's not forget the fact that the white Rawlings tag on both of these shirts was first used in 1990, not 1989 as both shirts have year tags from.

The description on the Ryan clearly reads "GAME WORN".

Any Rangers experts care to chime in?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Be careful when using terms like always, never, etc. There are photos of Ryan wearing Rawlings, Sand Knit, and Goodman jerseys while on the mound during the 1980's with the Astros. The Baseball Companion by Angus G. Garber III has a color photo on page 13 of Nolan Ryan in the late 1980's wearing a Rawlings road jersey while on the mound. The Rawlings embroidery is evident on the right sleve. This obviously debunks any myth of the Goodman exclusivity. Goodman was, by far, his most prevalent choice though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Banned

Marcus-
    Some valid points with the Astros, however, can you also reference a photo of Ryan wearing the same Rawlings brand while pitching for the Rangers?

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Always buying Phillies, Portland Beavers and Ron Wotus game worn jerseys.

I agree you shouldn't use 100%, always, never in this hobby....however in this case I can confidently say that, I have personally spoken with Nolan on his jerseys and he was very particular in what he wore. Could it happen, yeah it could.....Jordan had to wear number 12 for one game once bc someone stole his jersey, but in this case I would say highly unlikely and would stress highly to the highest level.

Bill

Not a Rangers nor Ryan expert, but found these a few months back when this question was asked concerning the Rawlings or Goodman debate. If I am not mistaken, those lines on the right sleeves are Rawlings tags.

Name:  ryan1.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  ryan2.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  26.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Banned

R.C.-
    Now this is what I call doing your homework! Great work. These are the first photos I have seen of Ryan wearing a Rawlings jersey. Can a Rangers expert comment on this? Why is it believed that he only wore Goodmans when we see him now wearing Rawlings?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

My post should have read Rangers, not Astros.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

not the first time this issue has come up:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=1098

as stated earlier, i have a feeling that those photos are from spring training games.

oddly enough, in 2004 ami auctioned off a jersey almost identical to this va one:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...uction_ID=5867

the ami description:
    "Home white Texas Rangers jersey will fool all but the most savvy collectors into thinking you've got a game worn shirt, as the tail tagging looks like the real deal. But it's not--Ryan was issued these jerseys, but preferred those made by another manufacturer."

rudy.