Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question For Jim Caravello

Hi Jim,

Would you mind posting some photos of the 1989 Wade Boggs AS bat? I'd like to take a better look at it.

Thanks,
    John

Re: Question For Jim Caravello

John - as sson as I receve the bat, I'll post some pics for you. Thanks, Jim

That is a truly great bat. As his All Star HR bat, one I'd consider among the most significant and valuable from his entire career. The only one I'd rather have would be his 3,000th career hit bat. Way to go Jim!

Hi John - I received the bat the other day. Its incredible. The pictures on ebay did not do justice to this piece. Bat has great use - has the tiniest of handle cracks - hardly noticeable - its a hairline crack. The flame burned finish is gorgeous. Thanks for the interest....I am a happy camper! Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Jim,
    Thanks for posting the photos. I figured the bat would look better then the photos posted on ebay. Any ideas of the source of the black ball marks? Spring training perhaps?

My guess is the black ball marks are from BP at the All Star Game ( used probably various balls - AL, NL and maybe All Star Balls ) - the blue ball marks confirm game use after the All Star game which is consistent with the amount of use on the bat......Jim

Jim,

Was it routine for Boggs to utilize his gamers during Batting Practice? Were the large label barrel marks allowed into regular season games during the second half of the 89 season?

Thanks,
    John

Hi John - yes, as they were all so produced for the post season that year. They were banned after the end of the post seasoon. Jim

John - forgot to answer your batting practice question. Probably not - but each player is a little different. At an All Star Game - I think the likelihood would be much higher for a lot of players to use the same bat in BP as in the game as they would not cart a lot of equipment to the one game. Jim

Jim,
    Thanks for your reply. It would be great to find a photo/video match of Boggs with the bat.

John