Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
I forgot about the 'backdoor' rule, but he will still have to maintain where he is now for the rest of the season and taking an 0 for XX added to the average could drop it like a rock.

Based on his current pace, he has approximately 1.12 hits per game played (115 hits / 102 games played). That projects to 35.5 more hits so lets call it 151 hits. (I missed the Oct games earlier, so there are 32 games left, not 29)

If he comes up even 20 PAs shy, his average drops like a rock. If he gets 482 PAs with a projected 151 hits, his BA drops to .313. At 502 PAs it drops to .300.

I'm not saying he can't do it, but the numbers don't project well unless he gets a lot of PAs with BB, IBB, HBP, etc. that don't affect his Avg.

If he stays on his current pace of avg 4.9 PAs a game, he will get to 502 on his own, but even then if he stays on his avg of 1.12 hits per game, as stated above, he drops .041 points to .300.

Like Cargo, Infante will have to hit a hot streak to keep his hopes alive. Staying on the pace he is on, his avg will steadily drop.

- Chris
The math doesn't add up. You are saying 1.12 hits per game, but you are not factoring in that he spent the early part of the season coming in in pinch hit roles. That would be one at bat. You can't average games played with hits to tabulate that. That is why based on the math alone of him continuing at 1.12 hits a game his average still dropped 30 points on the math. Did this make sense?

He does have to maintain a good bit to stay there and I will be surprised if he wins it, but as a Braves fan it would be nice for him to win the batting title and get some vindication for all the nay sayers who complained about his all star selection.