Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Angry Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Pujols would be the hands down winner this year..if anybody ever pitched to him. I watched the cubs game today and saw albert hit a 3 run bomb(42) in the first inning. Then he was walked twice intentionally. I mean come on cubbies I think your post season dreams are over so quit being chickens and pitch to the machine!

Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r_phelps View Post
    Pujols would be the hands down winner this year..if anybody ever pitched to him.
    It's a valid point. The race for NL MVP is so close this year that 'second tier' stats like walks and strikeouts may carry more weight than usual.

Are there any stats junkies out there that can tell us who's got the fewest strikeouts, most walks, and most game-winning RBIs among the big three (Gonzalez, Votto, Pujols)?

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

SO:
    Pujols-75
    Votto-118
    Gonzalez-130

Walks:
    Pujols-98
    Votto-87
    Gonzalez-40

Who of the three do the pitchers believe is the most dangerous? For me, it has to be Pujols. Gonzalez's MVP credentials are hit pretty bad with 130 SO imho.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you will also see Pujols has 6.7 wins above replacement (1st) and 6.9 offensive WAR (1st). Albert has been on base 280 times this year, also first in the league. I also believe of the three, he brings the best glove to the field. It seems like he saves tons of runs every year.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you will also see Pujols has 6.7 wins above replacement (1st) and 6.9 offensive WAR (1st). Albert has been on base 280 times this year, also first in the league. I also believe of the three, he brings the best glove to the field. It seems like he saves tons of runs every year.
    I actually disagree about fielding. Carlos is very fast (by far the fastest of the three) and can field. If you didn't see his catch last night you should check that out, I am a bit biased, but I think it is one of the better plays I have seen all year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12463235

Quote Originally Posted by skier14 View Post
    I actually disagree about fielding. Carlos is very fast (by far the fastest of the three) and can field. If you didn't see his catch last night you should check that out, I am a bit biased, but I think it is one of the better plays I have seen all year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12463235
    And the kid has a cannon!!!

That catch is very similar to the grab Kalish made for the Red Sox last night to rob Cano except Kalish nailed the landing. Pujols has been red hot since his 2 homer game in Pittsburgh.

With stats being so close all around, I am going to take the bias road and say which player is leading his team to the playoffs. Yes, the Rockies may have a chance but Mr. Votto will be playing postseason baseball not Pujols this year.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    With stats being so close all around, I am going to take the bias road and say which player is leading his team to the playoffs. Yes, the Rockies may have a chance but Mr. Votto will be playing postseason baseball not Pujols this year.
    If the Cardinals were in the middle of the pack, I might agree with you. But as we enter the final week of the season, the Cards have not been (mathematically) eliminated from the postseason. The point being, they got close enough to keep the postseason from being an overriding consideration in the MVP award, in my opinion.

Of course, it can be won even from the middle of the pack, as Albert did in 2008 with the Cardinals fourth in the division. If he finishes the season leading in home runs and RBIs, top five in BA, with significantly more walks and fewer strikeouts than Votto or Gonzalez, I don't see how Pujols could not be the frontrunner for the award.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    If the Cardinals were in the middle of the pack, I might agree with you. But as we enter the final week of the season, the Cards have not been (mathematically) eliminated from the postseason. The point being, they got close enough to keep the postseason from being an overriding consideration in the MVP award, in my opinion.

Of course, it can be won even from the middle of the pack, as Albert did in 2008 with the Cardinals fourth in the division. If he finishes the season leading in home runs and RBIs, top five in BA, with significantly more walks and fewer strikeouts than Votto or Gonzalez, I don't see how Pujols could not be the frontrunner for the award.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Great point. The Cardinals and Reds really aren't that far apart, so how would it be fair to punish Albert for having the lesser team this year?

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com