NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xpress34
    • Sep 2008

Re: NL MVP Race should go to the wire!!!!

- TYPO -

That should say 0 for 6 as he is at 452 PAs...

Comment

• legaleagle92481
      Banned
      • Oct 2009

Monday Morning Numbers - 2 Weeks left in the
      Maybe Tulo could lend CarGo one of his bats so his recent homer binge could rub off on him. If it were not for those dang seven homers we would be witnessing the possible first NL Triple Crown since the 1930s. A fact about TCs that I read the other day is Frank Robinson considers himself to have hit the last true TC since Yaz tied another player in one of the categories in 67. If there is a tie in a category should it count?

Comment

• xpress34
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
        Monday Morning Numbers - 2 Weeks left in the
        Maybe Tulo could lend CarGo one of his bats so his recent homer binge could rub off on him. If it were not for those dang seven homers we would be witnessing the possible first NL Triple Crown since the 1930s. A fact about TCs that I read the other day is Frank Robinson considers himself to have hit the last true TC since Yaz tied another player in one of the categories in 67. If there is a tie in a category should it count?
        The keepers of the MLB records apparently think so! If two teams tie (i.e. Padres and Rockies in 2007) they have a Tie-Breaker or 'Play-In' game... maybe the two 'tied' players should have a HR Derby or something to break the tie...

And to be more precise on your NL TC figure - it was 1937 when Joe 'Ducky' Medwick won the last NL TC.

Comment

• xpress34
          • Sep 2008

Monday Evening Numbers - 2 Weeks left in the MLB Regular Season:

Cargo

BA - .340
          HR - 32
          RBI - 107

Votto

BA - .324
          HR - 34
          RBI - 104

Pujols

BA - .306
          HR - 39
          RBI - 107

Infante

BA - .334 (Not yet qualified for Batting Title - 456 PAs)
          HR - 7
          RBI - 43

Tulowitzki

BA - .325
          HR - 26
          RBI - 89

Comment

• xpress34
            • Sep 2008

And as we go into the weekend...

Cargo

BA - .340
            HR - 33
            RBI - 113

Votto

BA - .323
            HR - 35
            RBI - 106

Pujols

BA - .310
            HR - 41
            RBI - 112

Infante

BA - .332 (Not yet qualified for Batting Title - 468 PAs)
            HR - 8
            RBI - 44

Tulowitzki

BA - .318
            HR - 26
            RBI - 90

The Rockies have pretty much shot themselves in the foot. Just like before the All-Star Break, they got to within 1 game of 1st Place and fell apart. Last week, they had stormed to within 1 game of 1st Place and they have fallen apart and haven't won a game since getting to the edge.

We were at the game tonight - great pitching duel, but the Rox couldn't get a ball out of the in-field...

- Chris

Comment

• r_phelps
              • Sep 2007

Pujols would be the hands down winner this year..if anybody ever pitched to him. I watched the cubs game today and saw albert hit a 3 run bomb(42) in the first inning. Then he was walked twice intentionally. I mean come on cubbies I think your post season dreams are over so quit being chickens and pitch to the machine!

Comment

• rj_lucas
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by r_phelps
                Pujols would be the hands down winner this year..if anybody ever pitched to him.
                It's a valid point. The race for NL MVP is so close this year that 'second tier' stats like walks and strikeouts may carry more weight than usual.

Are there any stats junkies out there that can tell us who's got the fewest strikeouts, most walks, and most game-winning RBIs among the big three (Gonzalez, Votto, Pujols)?

Rick
                rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• flota89
                  • Jul 2009

SO:
                  Pujols-75
                  Votto-118
                  Gonzalez-130

Walks:
                  Pujols-98
                  Votto-87
                  Gonzalez-40

Who of the three do the pitchers believe is the most dangerous? For me, it has to be Pujols. Gonzalez's MVP credentials are hit pretty bad with 130 SO imho.
                  Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
                  flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

• flota89
                    • Jul 2009

If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you will also see Pujols has 6.7 wins above replacement (1st) and 6.9 offensive WAR (1st). Albert has been on base 280 times this year, also first in the league. I also believe of the three, he brings the best glove to the field. It seems like he saves tons of runs every year.
                    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
                    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

• skier14
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by flota89
                      If you dig a little deeper into the stats, you will also see Pujols has 6.7 wins above replacement (1st) and 6.9 offensive WAR (1st). Albert has been on base 280 times this year, also first in the league. I also believe of the three, he brings the best glove to the field. It seems like he saves tons of runs every year.
                      I actually disagree about fielding. Carlos is very fast (by far the fastest of the three) and can field. If you didn't see his catch last night you should check that out, I am a bit biased, but I think it is one of the better plays I have seen all year.

Comment

• Manram
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by skier14
                        I actually disagree about fielding. Carlos is very fast (by far the fastest of the three) and can field. If you didn't see his catch last night you should check that out, I am a bit biased, but I think it is one of the better plays I have seen all year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12463235
                        And the kid has a cannon!!!

Comment

• r_phelps
                          • Sep 2007

That catch is very similar to the grab Kalish made for the Red Sox last night to rob Cano except Kalish nailed the landing. Pujols has been red hot since his 2 homer game in Pittsburgh.

Comment

• AWA85
                            • Jan 2008

With stats being so close all around, I am going to take the bias road and say which player is leading his team to the playoffs. Yes, the Rockies may have a chance but Mr. Votto will be playing postseason baseball not Pujols this year.
                            Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• rj_lucas
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by AWA85
                              With stats being so close all around, I am going to take the bias road and say which player is leading his team to the playoffs. Yes, the Rockies may have a chance but Mr. Votto will be playing postseason baseball not Pujols this year.
                              If the Cardinals were in the middle of the pack, I might agree with you. But as we enter the final week of the season, the Cards have not been (mathematically) eliminated from the postseason. The point being, they got close enough to keep the postseason from being an overriding consideration in the MVP award, in my opinion.

Of course, it can be won even from the middle of the pack, as Albert did in 2008 with the Cardinals fourth in the division. If he finishes the season leading in home runs and RBIs, top five in BA, with significantly more walks and fewer strikeouts than Votto or Gonzalez, I don't see how Pujols could not be the frontrunner for the award.

Rick
                              rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• flota89
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by rj_lucas
                                If the Cardinals were in the middle of the pack, I might agree with you. But as we enter the final week of the season, the Cards have not been (mathematically) eliminated from the postseason. The point being, they got close enough to keep the postseason from being an overriding consideration in the MVP award, in my opinion.

Of course, it can be won even from the middle of the pack, as Albert did in 2008 with the Cardinals fourth in the division. If he finishes the season leading in home runs and RBIs, top five in BA, with significantly more walks and fewer strikeouts than Votto or Gonzalez, I don't see how Pujols could not be the frontrunner for the award.

Rick
                                rickjlucas@gmail.com
                                Great point. The Cardinals and Reds really aren't that far apart, so how would it be fair to punish Albert for having the lesser team this year?

Tyler
                                flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...