Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AL MVP Race

Re: AL MVP Race

With hamilton hurt it will probably go to someone on the yankees. Miggy is a great hitter, but he cant change the game in the field. I wonder if the national media would hold a grudge against him for beating his wife last year?
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Banned

Call me crazy but I think Jose Bautista takes it. Miggy is not playing well this month, his team sucks and his overall numbers are not otherworldy. Jose is on an over .500 team with a .500 plus record in the AL East. Yes it is in fourth place but they dont have near the talent of the three teams in front of them posses and in the offseason they had traded the probable NL Cy Young Award Winner. The guy has 52 homers and 118 RBIs, .622 slugging % and a 1.005 ops with 100 runs scored. His ba is low at .268 but I think in a down year he will take it based on the increadible power stats, especially if he wrests the RBI crown from Miggy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    With hamilton hurt it will probably go to someone on the yankees. Miggy is a great hitter, but he cant change the game in the field. I wonder if the national media would hold a grudge against him for beating his wife last year?
    If you want to take the sour grapes approach, Josh doesn't have a real nice clean past either. Guy can't keep more then 20 bucks on him.

When Miggy wins I'll be the first one to say I told you so. Lol

Also he'll finish up strong, unlike Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Call me crazy but I think Jose Bautista takes it. Miggy is not playing well this month, his team sucks and his overall numbers are not otherworldy. Jose is on an over .500 team with a .500 plus record in the AL East. Yes it is in fourth place but they dont have near the talent of the three teams in front of them posses and in the offseason they had traded the probable NL Cy Young Award Winner. The guy has 52 homers and 118 RBIs, .622 slugging % and a 1.005 ops with 100 runs scored. His ba is low at .268 but I think in a down year he will take it based on the increadible power stats, especially if he wrests the RBI crown from Miggy.
    Well as of right now both the Jays and Tigers have 78-75 records. Leading the league in HRs doesn't mean you're the MVP. Plus I think with a 266 avg you better have 50+ HRs and like 150+ RBIs.

In 2005 Andruw Jones lead the NL with 51 HRs and 128 RBIs on a division winning Braves team. But Pujols won the MVP cause he had better overall numbers in which the cards also won their division.

To me a month ago Hamilton and Cabrera were separated from the rest of the MVP pack. They stood alone as far as the MVP race. Hamilton hasn't played sense. And I don't see anyone else having the overall season that Miggy is having. On top of that I think Vladimir Guerrero will take away votes from Hamilton.

210 batting avg and 2 hr's in miggys first 70 at bats of sept, bet it goes to cano, and would have gone to hamilton if he hadnt of gotten hurt. Im just bitter our best player is hurt, and daddy aint ever been to a playoff game lol. If anything Miggys past is a testament to the year he had this year. Looks like it made him grow up a little and the results speak for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    If you want to take the sour grapes approach, Josh doesn't have a real nice clean past either. Guy can't keep more then 20 bucks on him.

Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Wow noone even mentions Carl Crawfords' name. He's only batting .307 with 16 homers 87 rbis 46 steals and has scored 104 times. Not to mention hes one of the top five best outfielders in the game (should win a gold glove this year). He carries that team offensively and defensively. He is the only .300 hitter on a team whose team BA .250. He is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on any team in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post

Cabrera is a one dimensional player. He is a very talented hitter but he is an average defensive first baseman on his best days. He is not a team leader and has no business winning an award that is supposed to go to a player who is the most valuable in the entire American League. Short memories for a lot of fans as they must have forgotten he bailed on his team during the Tigers playoff run last year.....the guy is a joke. MVP's don't do that when there team is on the brink of clinching a division. I don't care if he hits 80 HRS a year....he's a bum.

Guys that won't get the award but I think should would be Delmon Young or Carl Crawford. Without those guys I think the Twins and Rays wouldn't be where they are today. Both players make a difference at the plate and in the field with little fanfare from the media. Cano deserves consideration as well but he plays for the Yankees and has a lot of help so that will hurt him in the voting. Just my 2 cents....
    Thanks a lot
    Josh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post
    Wow noone even mentions Carl Crawfords' name. He's only batting .307 with 16 homers 87 rbis 46 steals and has scored 104 times. Not to mention hes one of the top five best outfielders in the game (should win a gold glove this year). He carries that team offensively and defensively. He is the only .300 hitter on a team whose team BA .250. He is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on any team in MLB.
    Its the power stats that kill his chances. If your an outfielder unless you are hitting like .330 plus you are not winning the MVP with sub 20 hrs and sub 100 rbis. Plus Longoria is the guy everyone thinks of when they think of the Rays. I have read writers some of whom have a vote saying Evan should be a prime contender with Miggy, Hamilton, Cano, Bautista, etc. The five best OFs argument is weak as well because there are so few good ones. You have him, Hamilton, Ichiro and that is kind of it. Other than Ichiro no really future HOF locks in the OF.

There is no doubt that Cabrera is an excellent hitter and hits in a ballpark that is is very large. However the idea that he alone hit in a weak line up and everyone else had great support in their lineup is misleading. As far as Hamillton is concerned, Vlad had a good year, but there was a period of time for about a month around the all star game that he was stone cold. Hamilton was carrying the Rangers team with very little help. Both Nelson Cruz and Kinsler have both been on the DL twice for extended periods. The Rangers had little or no production from the first base position, normally a strong point for a team, as well as anemic production at catcher all season. And Young and Andrus got on base much less frequently the scond half meaning Hamiton was batting with two outs, no one on base and not a lot of protection behind him for much of the season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post

Well as another member here mentioned it gtes more involved with the power numbers and not to take anything away from Crawforrd and I am just pulling a name out of a hat. Such as Posada for comparison.
    (Please keep in mind Posada has been riding the bench for 1/3 the season)

Jorge Posada Carl Crawford
    BA 253 309
    HR 18 17
    RBI 57 87
    RUNS 49 106
    OBP 361 360

So for comparison your numbers should be far beyond a guy who rode the bench for part of a season to be considered for MVP