Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: And they said baseball players can't hit...

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have side with Wes Helms and say that he stole those bases out of spite which clearly looks like why he took them. Also based on Nyjer's recent erratic behavior, it makes it look more like spite, than out of playing hard.
    I can't and won't disagree, but I'll add this thought...

Back in the 1960s one of my all-time favorite players was Frank Robinson. The LAST thing any pitcher wanted to do was get him mad. Frank hit a lot of game-winning home runs following brushback pitches, and even though his extra little bit of motivation may have been personal revenge, they were still game-winning home runs.

So if this guy turns a HBP into a run by stealing 2 bases, who cares about what his motivations were? He still helped his team.

Having said that, I have to laugh at the video link Brad posted. Looks like there are plenty of other examples of this clown hurting his team.

:-)

I'm not defending him overall, just saying in that one particular game, he was the third guy on his team to be hit by a pitch, and next time up he was thrown behind. His first retaliation was to steal twice and score, his second was to say in effect, enough is enough. In this game I think he was more justified than that pitcher.

Re: And they said baseball players can't hit...

I don't believe Volstad intended to hit anyone other than Morgan though. Volstad has control issues and is another example of a guy that was rushed up here and cannot repeat his rookie performance. Bottom line, IMO, Volstad just isn't any good and the pitches that hit the other guys were ones that got away, the ones to Morgan were obviously intentional.