Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chargers and Rawlings?

Hey everyone

I have a Chargers jersey which dates somewhere from 1969-1972. I was wondering if Rawlings manufactured on the field Chargers jerseys during this era.

Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the tagging
    Name:  0728061336.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  67.6 KB
    Thanks
    Eric

Re: Chargers and Rawlings?

I had and have since sold a pair of game used Chargers pants with the same tagging. I am not sure about the jerseys. That Rawlings tagging is no older than 1971. Eric, can you post photos of the entire shirt?

Over on ebay there's a John Hadl Rawlings poster for sale. Does that suggest anything? Did players wear the company they endorsed for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/San-Diego-Charge...QQcmdZViewItem

Name:  hadl.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  21.9 KB

I'll get some pics of my jersey in the next couple of days
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Hey everyone

I have a Chargers jersey which dates somewhere from 1969-1972. I was wondering if Rawlings manufactured on the field Chargers jerseys during this era.

Eric
    Eric:

Per my records, the Chargers were wearing Sand-Knit in 1969, so you should be able to narrow the range somewhat based upon that.

Best Regards,
    Patrick W. Scoggin
    Endzone Sports Charities
    www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Hey everyone-

As promised, here are photos of the John Hadl jersey. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Eric
    Name:  HPIM0845.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  HPIM0846.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  60.8 KB
    Name:  HPIM0847.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  122.9 KB
    Name:  HPIM0850.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  75.1 KB
    Name:  HPIM0851.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  94.2 KB

Can anyone tell if the jersey I pictured above is the same as the one in this late 1960s team issued photo on ebay

Name:  z30.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  65.9 KB

http://cgi.ebay.com/late-1960s-JOHN-...QQcmdZViewItem

To me, looks like the sleeve cuffs on the actual jersey are much more narrow than the ones shown in the picture.

Eric

The bolts are also a bit different, so maybe it's not that year but hopefully it's one close to it.
    E

Eric
    We know from 1965 to 1970, the Chargers used at least 3 jersey makers (Spanjian, Russell and Sand Knit). This would lead one to believe that the Chargers "played the field" and "courted" every Sporting Goods supplier around. I owned a guaranteed 100% legit pair of early 70s Chargers pants with the same Rawlings tag. I am unsure about the jerseys.
    Does your HADL show any wear consistent with a gamer?
    ...wear from shoulder pads from the INSIDE (piling, scuffs, etc.)Does it appear there is enough shoulder and underarm room for shoulder pads?
    I have found photos on corbis with a photo that seems to match the Hadl NOB. The numeral fonts seem to match (although smaller) the Rawlings advertisement you posted. The sleeve cuffs on your shirt seem to small.

In my opinion, this is a classic example of a salesman's sample, especially since it is a star player that endorsed Rawlings. Remember my analysis is based on your posted images.
    GOOD LUCK!

I am by no means an expert on this type of jersey, but in looking closely at it there seems to be wear in the shoulders. There is definitely a lot of fraying to the numbers.

The photos make it look a lot brighter/cleaner than it is. There is no sheen to it, like in the photos I posted.

Thanks for your help.

I bought it as "game used" from a source I trust fully, and if anyone else has thoughts on it, I'd welcome them.

Eric