Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

How bad is it on the handle? Is it missing pretty big pieces? Either way I thought it was a sick price for a Sosa.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

The sad thing is, that was the most I was willing to spend on a Sosa, 600 home runs and the congressional hearing + the proof of steroid use + plus the "Michael Jackson" whitening of his skin... has caused too bad of a taste in my mouth.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto

Banned

I don't think people are getting my question. Maybe I worded it wrong but I see a few replys on what people prefer which is fine. But the questions is.

What if your the one who ends with with this great repaired bat that's repaired so well that your sold that bat as an "uncracked bat" later to find out that it had a crack but had been repaired.

So you paid a premium on a bat let's say $1,000 as opposed to it really being worth maybe $750 or $500 because it had a crack that been repaired.

How would you feel then?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    How bad is it on the handle? Is it missing pretty big pieces? Either way I thought it was a sick price for a Sosa.

-Tony

It's just not a clean break from what I remember. I had it in my hands about a month ago. The price you got it for was phenominal but then again that because it was broken in 2. But still a great deal. I was actually considering buying it myself. Great example of a Sosa.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I don't think people are getting my question. Maybe I worded it wrong but I see a few replys on what people prefer which is fine. But the questions is.

What if your the one who ends with with this great repaired bat that's repaired so well that your sold that bat as an "uncracked bat" later to find out that it had a crack but had been repaired.

So you paid a premium on a bat let's say $1,000 as opposed to it really being worth maybe $750 or $500 because it had a crack that been repaired.

How would you feel then?
    Suave, my understanding is that the knowledge of a crack may be considered "material" especially in legal terms. In that case it should be disclosed.... I dont have a problem purchasing either.... but in the eyes of collectors, it clearly devalues a bat in some way. No lets say the seller doesnt disclose, yet you pay for a fair price on what would have been a cracked bat of that player, then I think you are stuck...

It should absolutely be disclosed though.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tony Servitto

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    Suave, my understanding is that the knowledge of a crack may be considered "material" especially in legal terms. In that case it should be disclosed.... I dont have a problem purchasing either.... but in the eyes of collectors, it clearly devalues a bat in some way. No lets say the seller doesnt disclose, yet you pay for a fair price on what would have been a cracked bat of that player, then I think you are stuck...

It should absolutely be disclosed though.

-Tony
    Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
    Would you be mad?
    Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
    Would you be mad?
    Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.
    Hell yea I would, and depending on the description I would want the difference in value as opposed to what I paid as advertised. I think the problem in this hobby is that so many deals are made without actually inspecting the item in hand, and repairs are so phenomenal that years can go by. I think diligence on the buyers part is necessary upon receiving the bat, and if found the bat should be returned and refunded, or at least discounted.

The bottom line is that its a type of fraud.

In my case, I dont really care as long as the bat is not deforming to a point that it is freakishly bent and what not. My goal is obtain a bat that was used by that particular player, I dont really care about condition, but I also want to pay in ACCORDANCE with the condition.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tony Servitto

I look at it very simple, a bat is a bat, i like to have sturdy bats and since im a bit accident prone id rather have a repaired bat because id probably make the origional crack worse and that imo would be worse than repairing the origional crack

I'd be mad, if I found out a bat I bought as uncracked turned out to be repaired. It's like buying a car and then finding out it's been in a major accident the owner didn't tell you about. Maybe they need carfax for bats.

i mean to answer the question if the crack is seamless, i would not care. I dont devalue a bat because it has a crack but when your selling full disclosure is the best way to go