Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

Originally posted by spartanservitto
    Suave, my understanding is that the knowledge of a crack may be considered "material" especially in legal terms. In that case it should be disclosed.... I dont have a problem purchasing either.... but in the eyes of collectors, it clearly devalues a bat in some way. No lets say the seller doesnt disclose, yet you pay for a fair price on what would have been a cracked bat of that player, then I think you are stuck...

It should absolutely be disclosed though.

-Tony
    Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
    Would you be mad?
    Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.

Comment

• spartanservitto
      • May 2010

Originally posted by suave1477
      Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
      Would you be mad?
      Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.
      Hell yea I would, and depending on the description I would want the difference in value as opposed to what I paid as advertised. I think the problem in this hobby is that so many deals are made without actually inspecting the item in hand, and repairs are so phenomenal that years can go by. I think diligence on the buyers part is necessary upon receiving the bat, and if found the bat should be returned and refunded, or at least discounted.

The bottom line is that its a type of fraud.

In my case, I dont really care as long as the bat is not deforming to a point that it is freakishly bent and what not. My goal is obtain a bat that was used by that particular player, I dont really care about condition, but I also want to pay in ACCORDANCE with the condition.

-Tony
      sigpic
      Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
      My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
      My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• yankees506
        • Apr 2010

I look at it very simple, a bat is a bat, i like to have sturdy bats and since im a bit accident prone id rather have a repaired bat because id probably make the origional crack worse and that imo would be worse than repairing the origional crack

Comment

• Dach0sen0ne
          • Jul 2010

I'd be mad, if I found out a bat I bought as uncracked turned out to be repaired. It's like buying a car and then finding out it's been in a major accident the owner didn't tell you about. Maybe they need carfax for bats.

Comment

• yankees506
            • Apr 2010

i mean to answer the question if the crack is seamless, i would not care. I dont devalue a bat because it has a crack but when your selling full disclosure is the best way to go

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
              • Aug 2007

I would never sale a repaired bat as uncracked. Granted that doesnt mean others wouldnt. Most of the repairs ive seen especially on some black bats you can tell it was cracked, especially if it was a bad one.
              Baseball do what it do
              -Ron Washington

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                • Aug 2007

Id email him, not sure if his prices have changed. He did two bats for me and they were perfect when i got them back. You could still tell they were cracked at one point but they were pretty splintered when i sent them to him. I bet some bats he could do where you couldnt tell, but llike i said mine were in pretty bad shape.

Originally posted by spartanservitto
                Jeff Scott at Birdbats repairs bats, interesting, how much? I just got a Sammy Sosa that is in two pieces that I am thinking about repairing.

-Tony
                Baseball do what it do
                -Ron Washington

Comment

• spartanservitto
                  • May 2010

Cool, I would rather repair because I dont want to cause further damage to the bat.

-Tony
                  sigpic
                  Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
                  My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
                  My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                    • Apr 2007

The only bats I have repaired were three that were each in 2 pieces. Each came wrapped in ugly white tape holding the pieces together. I just got rid of the ugly tape and glued the pieces together so the bat could be displayed more attractively. And there is no way any of the three would pass as uncracked unless someone is badly visually impaired.

Comment

Working...