Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

Well from being on this forum over the years I have noticed a stronger percentage of members reply to the Repaired cracked bat questions and comments "They don't care" or "It doesn't bother them"

Me personally I hate repaired cracks as I think it ruins the originlaty of the bat. But that's just me. And I actually do like a cracked bat sometimes over an uncracked bat because it shows the player used the bat till it cracked / more use.

So this questions goes to the guys who say they don't care of the crack is repaired.

Have you ever thought about what if a repaired cracked bat ends up being sold as just a regular bat?
    Now you may say who cares if its done good.
    But what if your the buyer???

For example: I have a cracked bat and do such a good job repairing it that is not even noticable that it was cracked. I sell the bat to (Buyer A) never mentioning it was cracked and repaired because you can't tell anyway.
    A year goes by and maybe something starts showing that there was a crack there.

Would you be mad? Since you said you don't mind the cracked bats being repaired.

Re: Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Well from being on this forum over the years I have noticed a stronger percentage of members reply to the Repaired cracked bat questions and comments "They don't care" or "It doesn't bother them"

Me personally I hate repaired cracks as I think it ruins the originlaty of the bat. But that's just me. And I actually do like a cracked bat sometimes over an uncracked bat because it shows the player used the bat till it cracked / more use.

So this questions goes to the guys who say they don't care of the crack is repaired.

Have you ever thought about what if a repaired cracked bat ends up being sold as just a regular bat?
    Now you may say who cares if its done good.
    But what if your the buyer???

For example: I have a cracked bat and do such a good job repairing it that is not even noticable that it was cracked. I sell the bat to (Buyer A) never mentioning it was cracked and repaired because you can't tell anyway.
    A year goes by and maybe something starts showing that there was a crack there.

Would you be mad? Since you said you don't mind the cracked bats being repaired.
    imho, full disclosue by the buyer that the bat was repaired, regardless of how perfect the repair was, should have taken place.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    imho, full disclosue by the buyer that the bat was repaired, regardless of how perfect the repair was, should have taken place.
    Joelsabi I agree a 100% but putting aside what the seller should have done. I am more curious to the reactions of the buyers because for the ones who say they dont mind or feel a repaired crack is acceptable leaves that much more room for (dishonest sellers to get over)

Definitely put me in the cracked catagory, NOT repaired. I think many times a cracked bat has a good deal of character. I will not add a bat to my collection that's cracked with any pieces of wood missing.

I little more to the original post though, I much prefer bats that have MLB holograms. More and more often I'm seeing bats with MLB holograms that were cracked and are repaired. I feel this ruins the integrity of the bat and hologram. Why would I want a bat that was authenticated by MLB and is documented as cracked but is now repaired? I'd never make that purchase.

I upgrade my cracked bats for uncracked ones whenever i can. As far as repairing cracks ive had it done on a few of my bats. Birdbats does an outstanding job by the way. The only bats i have had repaired have been somm of my hamitons which were in pretty bad shape.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

I have a few bats that have hairline cracks which are barely visible, and a few others that the crack is more noticeable, but nothing terrible. I would never get those repaired - I like them that way. That said, I am not a fan of cracks that are very big and very noticeable.

I would have zero problem buying a repaired bat, as long as it is fully disclosed.
    looking for Phillies GU bats

I have 5 McGwire Bats in my Mac Collection

3 of the 5 are cracked. They have cracks in the middle handle area right near on the rawlings ring. For a Mac Collector cracked bats are better then a COA. When mac was in the groove he used bats until they cracked. I Prefer them cracked. All 3 show TREMENDOUS use on them. Here are some pictures of the cracked 96 & 97 Mac Bats i own. Along with the cracks i posted pictures of the pounded barrels.

96 crack & barrel

97 Crack & barrel

Jeff Scott at Birdbats repairs bats, interesting, how much? I just got a Sammy Sosa that is in two pieces that I am thinking about repairing.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Cracked and repaired bats didn't used to bother me, until I started getting a number of badly done repaired bats from other collectors.

I tend to shy away now from repaired bats, unless I feel the repair is REALLY top-notch and the sad fact is not many are (unless done by a pro). I think it is a subjective thing and what looks good to the person doing the repair might not look good to the end buyer.

I'd buy an uncracked or cracked (with no pieces missing) before I'd buy a repaired bat most of the time. I actually like the way a mildly cracked bat looks displayed... I've got a few that look very cool in display.

I've also bought bats that sellers claimed were uncracked only to notice they had a repair done. This is what I mean by a top-notch repair... I have some bats (including one that PSA said was uncracked) that are repaired so well, you'd really need to look to find the crack.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    Jeff Scott at Birdbats repairs bats, interesting, how much? I just got a Sammy Sosa that is in two pieces that I am thinking about repairing.

-Tony
    Spartan ahhhh so you were the one who won that bat. I'm not really sure if that bat is repairable as easy as it was mentioned. I had that bat in my hands and from what I remember it was broken in 2, pretty bad.